Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal (August)

• 11-07-2019 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

We're planning on heading to Donegal for about a week towards the end of August, and looking for advice on where exactly to go.

It's a long spin up from Waterford, so we don't want to be doing a lot of driving while we're up there. Ideally we would get a house or apartment for 4-5 nights, and then just make short trips within the local area, so anywhere where there's a nice selection of scenery, interesting things, beaches, places to eat etc. within a compact area would be ideal.

It's the two of us plus our six-year-old boy, who's into swimming, using his scooter in the skate-park, playgrounds, etc. We're interested in scenery (coasts, mountains), plus nice but casual (child-friendly) places to eat.

After that, we were thinking of spending the last two nights in a hotel in Letterkenny so that we have a swimming pool in case the weather is bad, also as a base for a couple of day trips, maybe into Derry, and also to the Giant's Causeway. Although maybe it might be better just to stay in Derry altogether?

Any recommendations on what part of the county to stay in? Also I'd be grateful for any advice on the pros and cons of Letterkenny v Derry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Derry has easier access to Inishowen which is a terrific spot and the north Derry and Antrim coasts.

Letterkenny has easier access to Glenveagh National Park and north west coast of Donegal.

Bundoran has easier access to south/south west Donegal like Slieve League.

Really up to yourself which area you are most interested in. I spent most of my childhood in Inishowen so it's a place I am most familiar with. There are nice towns like Moville, Buncrana, nice beaches such as Culdaff, Stroove, Magilligan which is ferry ride across from Greencastle. Great scenery like Mamore gap, Malin head, Glenevin waterfall. Stuff for kids like Leisureland redcastle, Fort Dunree military museum and then everything that's close enough by in Antrim and Derry like Giants causeway, Dunluce Castle, Bushmills distillery and Carrick a rede rope bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

My suggestion would be some thing like:

Stay in Derry for 3 nights and then 3 more in Gweedore. Only caveat is that to see the good stuff you will have to do more driving than you are bargaining for.

Day 1, drive up taking your time with a few stops.
    Day 2, Causeway Coast with the castles, Bushmills, Portrush (beach).
    Day 3, Derry proper/Inishowen
    Day 4, drive to Gweedore stopping off at An Grainan Aileach between Derru and Leterkenny (though you could do that as part of the Inishowen day)
    Days 5/6, base from Gweedore (Bunbeg area (has beach and should be v good for kids)) to Glenveagh Errigal/Poisoned Glen/Dunlewey....
    Day 7, drive home.

Remember Gweedore should be in Gaeltacht season so should be even better with more young ones than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Only been to Donegal once, had a great week, got lucky with the weather, we stayed here, worked out great as a base
    http://www.millstonecottages.com/

Can highly recommend,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a look at this thread and in particular, the link in the very first post. Should be of some assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Derry be a good base these days with the good exchange rate you'd have.

Stayed a month ago in the Ballyliffin Hotel and it was fine, only stayed the one night and had no food so hard to judge much besides a decent bed. In saying that, I had plenty of drink on board and could've slept on the lawn under a cloak propped up on sticks.

Went up to Malin Head the next day and it was worth the trip, longer windy and bumpy roads than the sat nav would reckon.

Stopped into the beach in Culdaff and it was very nice and I'm not typically a beach person.

Have been to Glenveagh National Park years ago and for me that's a definite must visit. As recommended by others here more of a Letterkenny day visit or base would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Either of Letterkenny or Derry would a good base depending on what attractions you're more interested in. As already mentioned LK is better if you want to explore Glenveagh, Errigal, beaches around Fanad, Dunfanaghey, day trip to one of the islands etc. There's also a good leisure centre (with a skate park) and plenty of restaurants and kids amusement places in case of bad weather.

Derry has all of the above as well but better if you're more interested in exploring the north coast of NI rather than Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Some good advice. Personally for me I think Giants causeway is overrated. Obviously many won't agree I was just underwhelmed with the place.
    Some lovely beaches around Dunfanaghy, and Horn Head is spectacular. Short walk out to the cliffs but they are stunning. Hold your childs hand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It's a lovely county.

I wouldn't be driving any of the back roads after dark though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Pkiernan wrote: »
    It's a lovely county.

Thats just silly.

• Advertisement

It's a lovely county.

Mod: Go back to whatever rock you crawled out from under and troll away till your wee merry heart's content. Warning given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

That wasn't a troll post by any means.
    I've been there and loved it. I wouldn't and didn't feel comfortable driving there late at night.

The roads are dark and unfamiliar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That wasn't a troll post by any means.
    I've been there and loved it. I wouldn't and didn't feel comfortable driving there late at night.

The roads are dark and unfamiliar.

So the issue is with you then?

Surely by that logic there are many other counties roads you wouldn't feel comfortable on late at night?

Your record on this site tells a different story so lets leave it at that while Im in a good mood. You dont want to end up getting muffled

Edit/ addressing Pkiernan btw and not NIMAN :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

The drive up and around Horn Head is breath taking. Would highly recommend it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

It is a big place so a drive is gonna be needed. Start in the west, maybe stay in the likes of Glenties or Dungloe and you can see the bottom half without out too much bother, then I would say Letterkenny. You can see the North from there but also to the likes of Milford and Fanad which is unreal. The good thing is that you will never be far from a beach or some amenity so I wouldn't worry to much. Some great towns that are full swing over the summer so plenty to do.

Advertisement