Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at house alarm and/or monitored

Options
  • 11-07-2019 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently bought our first house. Have a lot of work done to it now and at the stage to get an alarm installed.

Not sure what type to go for, people in work says get standard alarm then others say these are no use.

I’ve been researching and researching and I come to the conclusion maybe a monitored alarm may be better.

Has anyone got one of these and are they worth the monthly fees to have it over a standard alarm with bell outside.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Depends on your budget.

We've the basic Yale neighbour annoyer that was picked up for less than £100 (2 door, 2 PIR sensors). It's fine but all it does is make noise, it's visible too so that's a deterrent in itself.

Then as a second system (which we use much more), which was/is much cheaper and is much more useful, we have a Xiaomi gateway and bunch of door and window sensors (and a camera, will add more too). I'm up to about £100 spend on this one now too after buying bits when I feel the need - gearbest, bangood etc. Now instead of making noise for neighbours to enjoy, this one actually alerts my phone when tripped (or activated/deactivated) and I can connect to the camera and/or see what doors are open via the app. Obviously this needs an internet connection at the house and a data signal on your phone to be any use. No monthly fees.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

theteal, Yale makes alarm systems that have an app that allows them to be remotely controlled and will send notifications, texts and emails to your phone if triggered, similar to the Xaomi.

I've got a Yale alarm like this and I also happen to have the same Xiaomi kit, though I mostly use that for home automation stuff.

bri007, alarms can usually come in one of three types:

- Basic alarm, that just makes noise when activated

- The above + self monitoring, when alarm activated it either sends you a notification to an app or can send you a text or phone call.

- The above + monitored by a company

For professional installed systems like HKC, they can be installed as any of the above, it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

The Yale and Xiaomi systems theteal mentioned are DIY systems, typically they are cheaper, but that comes with pros and cons.

Depends on your budget and what you want from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for the replies and information I really appreciate it.

Was discussing it this evening with my partner and we are thinking of going with Phonewatch. We are going to decide over the weekend which one to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

bri007 wrote: »

Was discussing it this evening with my partner and we are thinking of going with Phonewatch. We are going to decide over the weekend which one to go with.

Please, please please, do your research before you blindly sign up to companies such as Phonewatch.

Check out threads even here on boards.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Literally the most expensive option you could pick. Will cost you more then €5,000 over ten years and you end up not owning the gear!

• Advertisement

Would it be best then to get an alarm fitted with cctv and an app for alerts etc by a licensed alarm fitter?

Would it be best then to get an alarm fitted with cctv and an app for alerts etc by a licensed alarm fitter?

Sure, if you aren't comfortable with doing a DIY setup yourself.

The general advice on this forum is to get three quotes from three licensed installers. Preferably local and independent IMO. They should come to your home, do a review of your security needs and give you quotes based on that and your needs.

BTW cameras don't have to be part of your alarm system. They can be on a separate system and that has some pros and cons.

Remember to ask the following:
    - Will you actually own the system?
    - Will it continue to work as a basic alarm if you stop paying a monitoring fee?
    - Look at the total cost over ten years and beyond.

Independently installed systems are usually more expensive upfront, but far cheaper over ten years.

Thanks for all your help and assistance, yeah I probably wouldn’t be able to do it myself so it would have to be a licensed installer.

I will definitely get 3 quotes. Thanks again.
    bk wrote: »
    Sure, if you aren't comfortable with doing a DIY setup yourself.

The general advice on this forum is to get three quotes from three licensed installers. Preferably local and independent IMO. They should come to your home, do a review of your security needs and give you quotes based on that and your needs.

BTW cameras don't have to be part of your alarm system. They can be on a separate system and that has some pros and cons.

Remember to ask the following:
    - Will you actually own the system?
    - Will it continue to work as a basic alarm if you stop paying a monitoring fee?
    - Look at the total cost over ten years and beyond.

Independently installed systems are usually more expensive upfront, but far cheaper over ten years.

Advertisement