Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Fairfield Dunshaughlin

Options
  • 11-07-2019 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Myself and my partner are considering purchasing a house in the Fairfield development in Dunshaughlin.

We are currently renting in Phibsborough and are a bit nervous about making the leap to Dunshaughlin, as neither of us are actually from Ireland, so not familiar with any areas outside of Dublin.

The most important issues / pressing queries we have are;
    - Childcare and education facilities -: we plan on starting a family soon but don't know what we should be considering or researching

- Commute -: we both work in Dublin city, how reliable is the 109 bus route? Does it actually take 45 minutes? Is the bus full by the time it gets to the bus stop outside Fairfield or can you still get a seat?

- Fitness -: is there anywhere local where you can go for a run safely without the need to join a gym?

- Utilities -: are there any issues with the water supply or broadband for example? I've heard that some rural towns don't have good internet access and that there can be issues with the quality of drinking water.

I would really appreciate any insights on these issues or anything else that you would draw attention to for anyone planning on moving to Dunshaughlin.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

ellenm1990 wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself and my partner are considering purchasing a house in the Fairfield development in Dunshaughlin.

We are currently renting in Phibsborough and are a bit nervous about making the leap to Dunshaughlin, as neither of us are actually from Ireland, so not familiar with any areas outside of Dublin.

The most important issues / pressing queries we have are;
    - Childcare and education facilities -: we plan on starting a family soon but don't know what we should be considering or researching

- Commute -: we both work in Dublin city, how reliable is the 109 bus route? Does it actually take 45 minutes? Is the bus full by the time it gets to the bus stop outside Fairfield or can you still get a seat?

- Fitness -: is there anywhere local where you can go for a run safely without the need to join a gym?

- Utilities -: are there any issues with the water supply or broadband for example? I've heard that some rural towns don't have good internet access and that there can be issues with the quality of drinking water.

I would really appreciate any insights on these issues or anything else that you would draw attention to for anyone planning on moving to Dunshaughlin.

Thank you.

T2 primary schools, one of which is Irish speaking. A third primary school (non denominational is to open in September on temporary accommodation beside the sports club. It’s permanent campus is to be built across the road beside The Willows. All schools in the village have good reputations.

The 45 minute journey on the 109 only applies at off peak times despite Bus Eireann timetables insisting otherwise. It will take about an hour to get to O Connell st at peak time. Some buses such as the 109B tend to fill up at Bank of Ireland stop when schools and colleges reopen in September. You will get a seat at the Fairfield stop, just be prepared that the first bus may pass you full. There is also a 24hr service 109A which runs hourly from Busaras via airport and Ashbourne.

There is a park behind the SuperValu that has pedestrian access points to College Park, Greenane and Supple Park. Looping through the park and around the estates could give you a run away from traffic. There are also running groups in the village in the evenings you could join.

We have no problems in our house with water pressure but we did install a water softener when we moved. East Meath seems to have a lot of lime in the water. Sky and Eir both provide Broadband. Have had no issues regards speed but other posters here may disagree on this.

Dunshaughlin is a great place to live. We moved here from D15 and while it may lack the amenities of bigger commuter towns it makes up for in charm. As you are thinking about leaving the bustle of Phibsborough would you consider a short term lease to see if the area suits your lifestyle? House prices aren’t getting any higher so waiting six months may not make much difference. Though rents here are as bad as everywhere at the moment.

Just to add on the transport front, there is also a private operator Sillan that runs buses through the village at peak time to Nassau St.
    The M3 parkway station has trains running every 30 minutes to Docklands. Parking is free and as it’s the start of the line you should be able to get a seat in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Hi,

-Thank you.

I regulary run a 5/7km loop around the village and is quite safe. I sometimes run down to the water tower which is not a footpath but I regulary pass runners and walkers here so seems safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭abbey

Just wondering....

Are there any plans to put in a decent sized park in the long-term? Are there any woods near the village that would suit running away from traffic and on soft surfaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ellenm1990

Thanks Archiebello for the detailed reply, found it very useful. Thanks to everyone else for replying as well. Have decided to make the move so will find out loads of things soon enough I'm sure. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks Archiebello for the detailed reply, found it very useful. Thanks to everyone else for replying as well. Have decided to make the move so will find out loads of things soon enough I'm sure. Thanks.

Glad to be of help, just on the running routes the following are a few options for runs.

There are long term plans for another town park at the back of The Willows but not unsure if it will be any larger than what’s behind SuperValu.

Dalgan Park: about 10/15 minutes drive on the road to Navan. While there is a tarmac trail from the car park, the terrain turns cross country west of Dowdstown House by the river and woods.

Balrath Woods: 20 minutes drive towards N2. Hard surface trails through the woods. Not sure if you can deviate much of these paths though.

Hill of Tara: plenty of open space here. Might be a bit too windswept on a blustery day but Maguires by the car park is a nice spot to grab a coffee.

Best of luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dimitrisoh

Hi to all. We are just a step before buying in Fairfiel. Are you happy the quality of the houses and the development in general? Also, I saw the county's planning maps and the fields south and west of Fairfield are marked for business development. Do you know anything about that? I am little worried if a warehouse or any huge building might be erected there... (we are interesting in a house on the south edge of the development.

I’m not aware of any developments south of Fairfield other than the proposed ring road. There is a roundabout proposed at The Willows entrance with a ring road to run to the roundabout at the existing ring road close to Junction 6 of the M3. The only proposed commercial development around the old Dublin road I’m aware of is the field between The Willows and the filling station.
    Might be no harm for you to ask this question on the Dunshaughlin general news page as the contributors there might know more.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057829352/34/#post111264225

Advertisement