Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Tour de France – Stage 6 – Mulhouse–La Planche des Belles Filles – 157

Options
  • 11-07-2019 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

So today see the first real mountainous stage of the TDF, difficult to predict how this will go. Will it blow the race to pieces or will we see shadow boxing with favourites marking each other with only a few seconds separating and maybe losing a couple of top 10 gc aspirants.WPhZK3j.jpg

One thing for certain we will see a breakaway looking to take most of the KOM points and it may give us an indication who is serious about the KOM classification and likely get a head start on Alaphilippe as he will be attempting to defend yellow instead, at least until Bastille day.

The route itself mirrors closely the 2014 stage which saw Nibali edge out Valverde and Pinot but organisers have extended the final climb to include a gravel section which appears to be Wicklow Mmountain-esque chip and seal as opposed to strada bianchi or goat track gravel.

I found it surprising to see Valverde so close to the top on such a long climb which augurs well for Dan and perhaps gives Alaphillippe hope of hanging on to the yellow jersey
    cClkQUM.jpg

For those with limited time best to tune in from 4pm onwards and you should be able to catch the final two climbs.

I will go with a Pinot victory but also going to put my neck on the line and my new found love for Jumbo Visma and say Kruiswijk into yellow with notable mention to Michael Woods who if not working for Uran may have a chance.

I am also prepared to be left disappointed and subjected to Ineos boring us to death, grinding down the peloton and Bernal to escape very late on to win by a handful of seconds.

For those climbing nerds out there (myself included) here is youtube footage of the final climb taken earlier this week

Which GC contender will lose most time today 30 votes

Egan Bernal
    73% 22 votes
    Geraint Thomas
    6% 2 votes
    Jakob Fuglsang
    0% 0 votes
    Thibaut Pinot
    3% 1 vote
    Adam Yates
    0% 0 votes
    Steven Kruijswijk
    0% 0 votes
    Nairo Quintano
    0% 0 votes
    Rigobert Uran
    0% 0 votes
    Vincenzo Nibali
    0% 0 votes
    Mikel Landa
    0% 0 votes
    Richie Porte
    3% 1 vote
    Romain Bardet
    0% 0 votes
    Daniel Martin
    3% 1 vote
    Tejay van Garderen
    6% 2 votes
    Enric Mas
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

And it's Ned Boultings birthday today aswell

My god Adam Blythes shirt :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Ineos to drill it and ride away from everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Nico and Dan chatting and looking pretty cool down the back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

That final KM looks horrendous !

Cippolini to swap to a mountain bike at the 5km to go mark and win by 2 minutes..... :)

• Advertisement

Ciccone in the break. He's made Trek's season this year. Maybe has an eye on some mountain points today?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I am laughing at the fact that Greipel is in a breakaway on a stage let this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like Alaphilippe's chances today. He'd love to do it today and hold onto the yellow jersey for a nice length.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

eagle eye wrote: »
    I like Alaphilippe's chances today. He'd love to do it today and hold onto the yellow jersey for a nice length.

He can probably limit any losses enough to keep the jersey, its a short enough final climb and should suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

EDIT Watching in work TG4 live appears down any where else i can watch ?

Hmm may they are just not streaming it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

murphk wrote: »
    Watching in work TG4 live appears down any where else i can watch ?

I think you can stream S4C ?

fishfoodie wrote: »
    I think you can stream S4C ?

Requires a bbc login, ill give it a try

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

EDIT Watching in work TG4 live appears down any where else i can watch ?

Hmm may they are just not streaming it

Working for me, check your adobe flash extension is active

Requires a bbc login, ill give it a try

Logged in its geo blocked :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I am laughing at the fact that Greipel is in a breakaway on a stage let this. :D

He didnt even win the intermediate spring from the 14 in the break, came 3rd???!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Watch the end of stage time limit cut-off and see who's laughing afterwards. Could work out to be a clever move on his part.

DKmac wrote: »
    Watch the end of stage time limit cut-off and see who's laughing afterwards. Could work out to be a clever move on his part.

Exactly, at the minute he's probably 15 minutes ahead of the groupetto. Do no work or very little in the break and take his time up the final climb and comfortably make the cutoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Prizemoney stats for the tour so far
    2wrjgwz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Ciccone is a man of steel. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Looks like someone from movistar saw that prize money graph and got on the earpieces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

"Pinot - like a zeppelin arriving at night" Ah, Carlton, bravo!

Can't understand how Carlton and Seán are writing off Wellens. He's a very serious rider.

Can't understand how Carlton and Seán are writing off Wellens. He's a very serious rider.

He is but he's no goat.

Ye were right!

Any sign of Dan in that group? Kirby mentioned he was in trouble.

EDIT: He's back in.

He's in there, no bother I think. Another UAe man in trouble, Henao i think.

He's in there, no bother I think. Another UAe man in trouble, Henao i think.

Aru

Aru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Ciccone could get yellow with the 8+6 seconds

• Advertisement

Pinot and Thomas look to be the men with the legs there. Brutal finish.

Advertisement