Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing CPU from US with employers discount

Options
  • 11-07-2019 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I can get an Intel 9900KF CPU through Intel employee program for $247USD.

Does anyone have any idea what additional costs I would have on top of that such as VAT or duty or anything else?

Im trying to work out what the best option is for an upgrade as Ive been rocking my 2600K since 2011. With the Ryzen chips out I'm trying to work out whats the best thing to do.

I use my PC for triple A gaming and editing 4K video. Nothing else really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

You'll pay VAT at 23% on the total cost including shipping, insurance and whatever handling fee the courier charges.

I don't think there is any duty on computers or computer parts.

I'd say you're still getting a good deal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Spend the savings on a better motherboard/GPU!
    Nice discount btw, especially with the weak USD.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Given that I need to buy a new MOBO and RAM, is Intel still the way to go?

I was hoping Intel would have good discounts on SSDs, but the prices were not good at all. Only the chips were much better.

Here is the USD price for some other chips, let me know if I should consider another chip due to 4k video editing.

i9 9940X $692
    i9 9980XE $990 out of stock
    i9 9960X €841
    i9 9900k $247 5ghz out of stock

The above are in USD and dont include the 23% VAT Id need to add.

Apparently shipping is free, so would I pay VAT on free shipping, or would I still have to pay VAT on the shipping, even if Intel actually pay for the shipping themselves? Any idea what handling fees are? Ive never dealt with this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Some good information here:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/value_added_tax.html

You will pay the VAT only on what YOU paid. So free shipping makes it cheaper again.
    The handling charges vary. I think An Post charges a flat rate of €8.

If you buy online or by mail order etc.
    From outside the EU

You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of customs duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic products and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a guide to the reliefs available for imports from non-EU countries.

If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and customs duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you can the CPU for that price it makes way more sense over a Ryzen. It also makes the most sense out of that list you've given on a purely performance to cost basis, taking into account gaming is also a function.

How does it get shipped - just directly to you from the US?

The 9900K/KF can also be used with a relatively cheap motherboard (but still decent), the other CPUs cannot.

You would end up paying a reasonable chunk on it if stopped, but should still work out as a great deal compared to buying it through normal channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Given that I need to buy a new MOBO and RAM, is Intel still the way to go?

I was hoping Intel would have good discounts on SSDs, but the prices were not good at all. Only the chips were much better.

Here is the USD price for some other chips, let me know if I should consider another chip due to 4k video editing.

i9 9940X $692
    i9 9980XE $990 out of stock
    i9 9960X €841
    i9 9900k $247 5ghz out of stock

The above are in USD and dont include the 23% VAT Id need to add.

Apparently shipping is free, so would I pay VAT on free shipping, or would I still have to pay VAT on the shipping, even if Intel actually pay for the shipping themselves? Any idea what handling fees are? Ive never dealt with this kind of thing.

None of the other CPUs make sense TBH unless you KNOW you need more than 16x PCIe lanes (i.e. 1 GPU, 1 M.2 PCIe & 4x SATA)

For motherboard, get a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite or Aorus Pro - best all-rounder, VRMs are plenty for overclocked 9900KF, and quite cheap (£155-180).

For CPU cooling, most 120/140mm towers above £40 are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You will pay the VAT only on what YOU paid. So free shipping makes it cheaper again.

Not quite true.

Revenue normally accept the value you/the docket provides. They do not have to. VAT is levied on the OMV of the product.

If they take the 250USD price its about 50€ VAT and €10-15 handling.
    If they take the OMV of 440USD its about 90€ VAT and 10-15 handling.

Advertisement