Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American appliances

Options
  • 11-07-2019 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads

Out in the states now and the miss’s is looking to pick up a hair dryer over here to bring back with us. Are they 230 volt out here aswell lads? I see with phones and things they give plugs to suit and socket but I’d be chopping off the 2 pin plug to fit a 3 pin at home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Out in the states now and the miss’s is looking to pick up a hair dryer over here to bring back with us. Are they 230 volt out here aswell lads? I see with phones and things they give plugs to suit and socket but I’d be chopping off the 2 pin plug to fit a 3 pin at home

Nope American appliances are mostly 110. Some have dual switching. Depends on the model though

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Id check the packaging, I came home from Canada a few years ago and made a nice popping sound when plugged in here....mind you it might be an idea to check if you can get a surge protection plug but how effective it might be, I wouldnt have a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ah balls ya the tag says 125 v 50 Hz

I’ll blow the sugar outta it swapping the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In general terms, anything that involves heat (e.g toaster, iron, hair dryer) consumes too much juice to be dual voltage, it will be one or the other. Plus, the vast majority of Americans never travel beyond Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean so they have no need to be able to handle 220V. Which means that you should always assume that an appliance you buy in the US is 110V only.

But all Apple devices, virtually all laptop (Dell, HP, Lenovo etc.) DC adapters and most mobile phone and tablet (Samsung etc.) chargers are multivoltage - they can handle 100-240V. And a lot of mains electric shavers have a 110/220V switch for travel to Europe.

Then there are devices that may or may not be multivoltage. I'm thinking here of the unit you get to charge a camera battery, you usually need to ask for the 'international' model to be sure that it can handle 220V.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Ah balls ya the tag says 125 v 50 Hz

I’ll blow the sugar outta it swapping the plug

It's a lot more than swapping a plug....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It's a lot more than swapping a plug....

I know

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ajo87

🀣🀣😠miss ?
    Hi lads

Advertisement