Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill Desk

Options
  • 11-07-2019 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So i started a new job recently sitting behind a desk. I enjoy the atmosphere and the work i find stimulating however I find the sitting incredibly tough on my body. I am quite tall and i have tried a variety of different chairs but the only thing that gives me any relief is just plain moving. I actually own a treadmill desk designed specifically for offices and a desk riser, would you think its reasonable to ask my employer can i use this at my desk? All i would need it for is a few hours a day for slow walking to give me relief, it has a very silent motor. My only concern is that my employer won't allow me use the equipment due to insurance or health and safety reasons etc. Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The standing desk is reasonable but the threadmill desk sounds bizarre.
    Maybe start with the standing desk. If you get away with that you can bring in the squat rack and kettlebells.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dmm2018

antix80 wrote: »
    The standing desk is reasonable but the threadmill desk sounds bizarre.
    Maybe start with the standing desk. If you get away with that you can bring in the squat rack and kettlebells.

I've already tried a standing desk and the issue isn't standing or sitting. Its staying in the one place for long periods of time i find it so causes very bad soreness and tension in my body. Hence why i'm considering the treadmill option i know it sounds extreme but it seems to be a viable solution. I'm just wondering do people know whether this option is feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Do you share office space, or do you have your own office? From a coworker point of view, it would be unbelievably distracting having someone walking constantly the next desk over.

Do you have a letter from a GP? Could it be considered ‘reasonable accommodation ‘.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dmm2018 wrote: »
    I've already tried a standing desk and the issue isn't standing or sitting. Its staying in the one place for long periods of time i find it so causes very bad soreness and tension in my body. Hence why i'm considering the treadmill option i know it sounds extreme but it seems to be a viable solution. I'm just wondering do people know whether this option is feasible.

Swap from sitting to standing and standing to sitting more often then. Set timers to take regular breaks.

A threadmill at a desk sounds like an insurance nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I do not think this is going to fly, simply because of the precedent that it is going to set. What is then stopping the chap beside you sitting on an exercise bike, etc. etc. The office space will quickly grow out of control.

That said, many work places now have desks which can be raised up to a level where one can work standing, which I guess would really help you. You could certainly raise this with your employer, though again it would setting precedent I guess, and could prove very costly if the whole office needs to be refitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

I seen an ad somewhere recently and I thought of this thread. There was a guy sitting at a desk on a gym ball thing.
    I can't remember the ads details but said I'd post it here, might be something to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ferajacka wrote: »
    I seen an ad somewhere recently and I thought of this thread. There was a guy sitting at a desk on a gym ball thing.
    I can't remember the ads details but said I'd post it here, might be something to look into.

Surely it's the employer's responsibility to provide/fund the correct seating for all employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Surely it's the employer's responsibility to provide/fund the correct seating for all employees?

If employees want to bring items such as balls to sit on (which can be quite common) then that is usually no issue. There is certainly no obligation on an employer to deck every desk out with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Reminds me of Diane's workplace in Bojack Horseman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I was in one of our offices in the US back in April and they had a section away from the main floor with 2 treadmill desks, where you could dock your notebook.
    Probably handy if you are listening in on a call with minimal keyboard work.

I also use a BT headset in work, so I can go for a little wander when I'm on a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

You need to ask your employer for an ergonomic assessment. Your employer should then provide any furniture recommended.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I also use a BT headset in work, so I can go for a little wander when I'm on a call.

Same here wireless headset so I can stroll around

Advertisement