Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering old decking

Options
  • 11-07-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

I have a small decking area that has seen better days, I've lifted the boards and the base is in good condition. I've been looking at covering it with decking tiles. I don't think ceramic tiles would work but maybe rubber or composite tiles ???
    Has anyone covered an old deck, what did you use, how did it turn out?
    Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do you mean you are going to leave the boards in place and cover with tiles? I would think that water would get into the ridges of the original decking and rot it. If the boards are still sound why not scrub and stain them? If they are not sound then replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

looksee wrote: »
    Do you mean you are going to leave the boards in place and cover with tiles? I would think that water would get into the ridges of the original decking and rot it. If the boards are still sound why not scrub and stain them? If they are not sound then replace them.

That's exactly what I was hoping I could do, I thought I could take the easy way out. I know I'll probably have to replace them but I thought I could cheat :D

Advertisement