Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job interview

Options
  • 11-07-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have a job interview to be a docker soon. I don’t know what to wear as it’s a messy job, full of dirt and dust. My friend works their and he says to wear jeans and a t-shirt but I don’t know.

Would appreciate some suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If unsure, stay smart and formal, slacks, shirt and tie will NEVER come across poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not my cup of tea but you can wear a suit to any interview if you have one. Personally I think clean jeans and a t-shirt can look smart enough for this type of job.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Went to an interview recently in jeans and jumper and safety shoes. Apologized I had to take the interview on my lunch break. Couldn't get the day off. First time
    They had anyone turn up without a suit. Was offered the position....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I am of the belief you should dress for your situation.
    I think a suit in this situation would be over the top.
    A pair of chinos and a shirt with no tie coupled with loafers or Saturday night shoes would be sufficient imo.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dobskidd

Thanks for the suggestions guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I am of the belief you should dress for your situation.
    I think a suit in this situation would be over the top.
    A pair of chinos and a shirt with no tie coupled with loafers or Saturday night shoes would be sufficient imo.

Perfect advice.

Personally I think a suit is only applicable to an interview if it is the expected clothing for the job.

Smart casual is fine for most interviews, rarely a tie. I’ve been a manager in many organisations from multinationals to small companies and never ever once wore a tie to an interview, have never done an unsuccessful interview either so it obviously not essential.

Actually if your not a regular suit wearer it can make you uncomfortable and that can detract from interview performance
    Was interviewing a lad one day he was in full suit and feeling the pressure. I suggested he could take off the jacket and tie and you’d think I had given him lotto numbers, he did a great interview afterwards and was successful

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RedXIV wrote: »
    If unsure, stay smart and formal, slacks, shirt and tie will NEVER come across poorly

You'll come a cross as someone who does not fit in....

A major part of winning the interview game is establishing a relationship with the interviewers, were they can visualise you as a member of their team and a work colleague.... a docker's job and an over dressed applicant does not say I'm one of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’ve interviewed hundreds of people for similar roles, clean jeans and T-shirt will just be fine. Maybe safety boots as they may want to take you on a tour to see the work environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Smart casual. Nobody trusts men in suits these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

_Brian wrote: »
    Perfect advice.

Personally I think a suit is only applicable to an interview if it is the expected clothing for the job.

Smart casual is fine for most interviews, rarely a tie. I’ve been a manager in many organisations from multinationals to small companies and never ever once wore a tie to an interview, have never done an unsuccessful interview either so it obviously not essential.

Actually if your not a regular suit wearer it can make you uncomfortable and that can detract from interview performance
    Was interviewing a lad one day he was in full suit and feeling the pressure. I suggested he could take off the jacket and tie and you’d think I had given him lotto numbers, he did a great interview afterwards and was successful

I agree with this but not many people do it seems,

when I am interviewing someone I want to get to know the real them, and if they don't wear a suit regularly then you're not doing that.

too many organisations obsess about what they're staff wear imo.

being comfortable can make you more productive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

For those kind of jobs the person interviewing you probably isn't going to be wearing a suit or tie and its going to look weird and feel weird for both of you if you're dressed up to the nines.

Dark jeans and a nice shirt or jumper is enough to make you come across as the practical, dependable kind of person they need if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You want to be a little bit better dressed than the person interviewing you. Just a little bit.

If you wear a suit to an interview like this, you will look like an eejit who has no clues what the job is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I approach it as "Dress a bit better than the clothes you would wear to work on a daily basis".

So i work in a shirt and slacks office, so if interviewing i would wear a suit.

If your jobs is a dirty messy job then a nice pair of jeans/chinos and a nice shirt/polo is perfectly ok.

If its a suit and tie office then id expect to wear a very nice full suit, tie, trousers and shoes.

Advertisement