Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours - Footballs flying in all day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

I think the issue is that the wall is so low the kids hop over the wall themselves to retrieve the footballs. High netting or a fence is the only option, and then OP can do what you say.

I agree, Spanish Eyes, that the height of the walls is an issue. Most people in settled areas have raised their boundaries to at least five foot. By the time the children are old enough to climb these boundaries, hopefully they will have a better understanding of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Keep any balls that come into your garden.. You could also coat the top of the wall with grease.. In my day some neighbor's use to coat the top of their walls with broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You need to get the 5/6 ft fence panels. Ours went rotten after 12 years and we got them replaced. Because every house did one side it was not too expensive.

I live in a terrace house and love it. As a woman on her own, I feel a littie bit more secure. Its a pain with moving furniture etc though.

the odd time the ball would come in from next door over the fence.

Given the fences were hugh enough so they couldt get over, they had to knock at door.

I never open the door in the evenings if im not expecting anyone as im often just relaxing and dont want to be dusturbed, so they often had to wait till they saw me coming home from wotk the next night to ask for ball.

The longer the wait between ball coming back led to more careful players.

You need to lay down a couple of ground rules.

1. Tell parents their children are not to come uninvited onto your property and you will hand back the balls yourself.

2. Tell the parents their children are not to knock after x time, as your child will be sleeping.

That will lead to delays in ball being returned.

That puts control of your property back in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Keep any balls that come into your garden.. You could also coat the top of the wall with grease.. In my day some neighbor's use to coat the top of their walls with broken glass.

That could turn out incredibly expensive.

Better if the op puts a stop to them jumping in with a trellis/barrier or talk with parents. Then give the ball back a day or 2 later, this works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Im thinking punji stakes and hidden pits, but your own kid might fall foul, a vicious (looking) dog sounds like the next best thing, and start growing a prickly hedge.
    I think (its been said already) you shouldnt have allowed access in the first place, now you are in a worse situation to end it and will look bad for doing that. Id start to close off the right of access, not sure how to withdraw and for someone to take offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sun bathing in those single strap Speedos would act as a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I had to use anti climb pain to stop the little darlings. Now they just ring the door and ask nicely. I've quit using the anti climb paint and am trying to give them the hint that they can just climb back over again but not to be messing.

Unintended consequences and all that OP.

Advertisement