Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS golf watch

Options
  • 11-07-2019 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Husband has suggested one as my birthday present to him. I haven't any other ideas so happy to oblige. Yet am bamboozled by what one to get. I don't mind spending a lot as it's a big birthday but is there much difference between the 120-150 ones and the 200+ ones? I want to get a decent one. Thanks.

Comments

I've had a couple of Garmin watches now and find them good.

It depends if he wants lots of features or just the basics like distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

How often do you see him?*

If you only see him a couple hours a week you will want one with a good battery life more than anything.

If you see him more often than not then one ram packed with features, will be more and you can justify your next big purchase for yourself better.

*based on the amount of times he golfs over the week

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

MyGolfSpy have a good revview here of GPS devices.

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-golf-gps-buyers-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

Shotscope have a deal at €169 at present. Great value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Shotscope have a deal at €169 at present. Great value

Is that the shotscope 2? Do you have a link by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I got a Tom Tom golfer 2 and highly recommend it. Super watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I got a Tom Tom golfer 2 and highly recommend it. Super watch.

Have to disagree on this - got one 2 years ago, and it's nearly useless now due to battery issues. As soon as it gets to full charge, it starts losing charge (even when left plugged in), and as you can't turn it off I can't just charge it, turn it off and leave it in the bag ready to go.

Oh to have my Garmin S1 back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

lettuce97 wrote: »
    Have to disagree on this - got one 2 years ago, and it's nearly useless now due to battery issues. As soon as it gets to full charge, it starts losing charge (even when left plugged in), and as you can't turn it off I can't just charge it, turn it off and leave it in the bag ready to go.

Oh to have my Garmin S1 back!

I have mine a long time now and no issues. Will do two rounds in a weekend without charge and lasts about a month if using it as a normal watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,053 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Is that the shotscope 2? Do you have a link by any chance?

https://shotscope.com/ie/?gclid=CjwKCAjwgqbpBRAREiwAF046JT_0sPQInm7RNgA97InGKyHtuV2HRDimJanQl4Luzyimg8GUXoPbhhoC22MQAvD_BwE

On the main website.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »

Cheers I was only on the website the other day and never saw it.

I am captain on my locals golf society this year so just ordered one for captain's prize. Also dropping some serious hints to the misses for my own birthday

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Cheers I was only on the website the other day and never saw it.

I am captain on my locals golf society this year so just ordered one for captain's prize. Also dropping some serious hints to the misses for my own birthday

Can you win your own captains prise ;)

Can you win your own captains prise ;)

Unfortunately not

On both counts. Not allowed but also playing ****!

Won last year's captain's prize and the prize is still sitting in a box so hoping to have a prize that a golfer will appreciate this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

i've a great garmin, nice and simple front middle and back distance.

Garmin vivoactive 3 Music - GPS Smartwatch with Music Storage and Playback - Black

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CR8NBQB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nMdlDb65BCNB6

I have one of these as well. Fitness tracker that can store music on the watch itself but it also has Garmin Golf on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Anyone have any opinions on the Garmin S10 golf watch? I realise it's the entry level golf watch by Garmin but does it do a good job? I'm just after a watch that can tell me distances to the green for now and this is on offer on Amazon Prime at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Hoki wrote: »
    Anyone have any opinions on the Garmin S10 golf watch? I realise it's the entry level golf watch by Garmin but does it do a good job? I'm just after a watch that can tell me distances to the green for now and this is on offer on Amazon Prime at the moment..

I have the S3 and was having a play about with a friends S10 (which I expected to be better)

Yet the 2 points that stick out for me between those 2 models are.

S10 does not have touchscreen or allows to to add further locations of your choice.

Otherwise its a solid watch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Garmin vivoactive 3 Music - GPS Smartwatch with Music Storage and Playback - Black

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CR8NBQB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nMdlDb65BCNB6

I have one of these as well. Fitness tracker that can store music on the watch itself but it also has Garmin Golf on it as well.

Hugely reduced this week as well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Hugely reduced this week as well.

Just ordered one. Looks the business.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

have to say my enjoyment of golf increased no end after i got a garmin watch,
    i never realized the difference in club selection to a green, when you have precise front middle and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

On the Garmin vivoactive 3. I have one.

It’s a very good fitness tracker watch. It’s not a golf watch. It’s grand but if you want a golf watch, buy a golf watch. I wouldn’t recommend it, mine is grand as backup to my laser.

It’s a pain, regularly have to have phone with me turned on to get the course up. You have to download courses and it seems to only remember your last 3 but not always for some reason. only gives front middle and back distance although that’s fairly accurate. No info on fairway layout shape bunkers hazards etc. Can record scores and there is a shot tracker that seems to be built in but I’ve not used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Hoki wrote: »

Have the s20 for a couple of years now. Have to says its great. Simple design with front, middle and back. Gives distances to hazards. Autos shot-bit gimmicky but useful to see how long you actually hit each clubs, particullay driving distance. Battery life is super, you get 2 rounds out of it even if you don't charge it for a week.

I like my gadgets but have no interest in higher spec watches, sometimes its better to keep it simple.

Advertisement