Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitchell st

• 12-07-2019 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if this area has ever flooded?

Just off John Street

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Anyone know if this area has ever flooded?

Just off John Street

Only in heavy rain, very wet rain I mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Looking at buying or renting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bigpink wrote: »
    Looking at buying or renting?

Maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mitchell St is a good bit higher than the Abbey river so it's doubtful that it would be classed as being in it's flood plain.

Other than blocked drains coinciding with torrential rain then I can't see flooding being a risk there.

phog wrote: »
    Mitchell St is a good bit higher than the Abbey river so it's doubtful that it would be classed as being in it's flood plain.

Other than blocked drains coinciding with torrential rain then I can't see flooding being a risk there.

How rough is the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The street itself is quiet with little traffic or pedestrians. It is, however, located adjacent to the Johnsgate Village housing estate which, deserved or not, has always had the reputation of being a place to avoid. A number of the houses there are owned by the local authority and have been occupied by some troublesome tenants in the past.I am not sure if this is currently the case.The general area encompassing John St., Broad St., Grattan St., and Lelia St. is rundown and property is relatively cheap to buy and rent. The resident profile would be a mix of long time owner occupiers, first time buyers and renters. If I were looking for somewhere to live near Limerick City centre I would have no major reservations about Mitchell St.,that's for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

How rough is the area

"Limerick is a market I know very well"

Your words.....Yesterday :rolleyes:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110661764
    post # 2658

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    "Limerick is a market I know very well"

Your words.....Yesterday :rolleyes:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110661764
    post # 2658

Is the money good for tailing people these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Be rough there depending can you live or ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

How rough is the area

I don't have any first or third hand residential experience of the area but from cycling down that street a fair bit it seems to have some very settled residents there and some well kept houses.

As already mentioned it's very close to Johnsgate which seems to attract a very bad name but because Limerick is tiny then any city dwelling is going to be close to an area with a bad name.

• Advertisement

phog wrote:
    I don't have any first or third hand residential experience of the area but from cycling down that street a fair bit it seems to have some very settled residents there and some well kept houses.

phog wrote:
    As already mentioned it's very close to Johnsgate which seems to attract a very bad name but because Limerick is tiny then any city dwelling is going to be close to an area with a bad name.

Both good points. The houses and those on Grattan Street all appear well maintained and are of an attractive design, red brick dormer style. Rossa Villas in Garryowen are of an identical type. That's also a well kept enclave.

Presume you are thinking of buying this house.
    https://www.daft.ie/limerick/houses-for-sale/limerick-city/4-mitchell-street-limerick-city-limerick-2147412/

Energy rating would take a lot of money to bring up to code, imo, but it's a great location. Neighbouring streets definitely aren't the best unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

At the risk of being slaughtered by the pc brigade I would not touch the area with a ten foot pole from passing through daily.

I have dealt with many of the local businesses drop in and ask them what the area is like.

The Johnsgate village area is very rough Google the Nigel Dugdale article if you need another impartial opinion, it really is the wild west.

To be fair regeneration caused the problems not the original residents

Random assaults regularly reported on the clare street end.

kilburn wrote:
    The Johnsgate village area is very rough Google the Nigel Dugdale article if you need another impartial opinion, it really is the wild west.

kilburn wrote:
    To be fair regeneration caused the problems not the original residents

It seems that particular article prompted the Council and the Gardai to clean up the area and rid it of anti-social residents. It appears a family of settled travellers who were also local authority tenants were responsible for the vast majority of criminal behaviour there. These people have been moved on.

chicorytip wrote:
    It seems that particular article prompted the Council and the Gardai to clean up the area and rid it of anti-social residents. It appears a family of settled travellers who were also local authority tenants were responsible for the vast majority of criminal behaviour there. These people have been moved on.

So who were the family drinking cans beside the trampoline last week, I wouldn't want to live beside that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

There are some serious antisocial behavior problems throughout that area.

chicorytip wrote:
    The street itself is quiet with little traffic or pedestrians. It is, however, located adjacent to the Johnsgate Village housing estate which, deserved or not, has always had the reputation of being a place to avoid. A number of the houses there are owned by the local authority and have been occupied by some troublesome tenants in the past.I am not sure if this is currently the case.The general area encompassing John St., Broad St., Grattan St., and Lelia St. is rundown and property is relatively cheap to buy and rent. The resident profile would be a mix of long time owner occupiers, first time buyers and renters. If I were looking for somewhere to live near Limerick City centre I would have no major reservations about Mitchell St.,that's for certain.

Miike wrote:
    There are some serious antisocial behavior problems throughout that area.

What would you define as "serious antisocial behavior problems"? Vandalism, robberies, assaults, druggies? You will find instances of these in all inner city residential districts. Would you be apprehensive about setting up home in Grattan Street?

Think your in a no win battle here.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

chicorytip wrote: »
    What would you define as "serious antisocial behavior problems"? Vandalism, robberies, assaults, druggies? You will find instances of these in all inner city residential districts. Would you be apprehensive about setting up home in Grattan Street?

Yes, with addition of intimidation. Yes again, without a doubt as there is serious problems in the area surrounding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

That house was actually my parents 1st home... bought it for 2,500 pounds. 45 years ago... mad.

Fine house.

That 'general' area though... I'd steer clear. John Street/Broad street/jonsgate is to be avoided IMO. And that's being polite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement