Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV USB external hard drive for freeview recording recommendation please

• 12-07-2019 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    I've an LG UK6200pla

We have terrestrial UK freeview here from preseli Wales including HD channels on it and of course Saorview

What size of USB external hd would you need to record a good few programmes mostly in HD with this tv
    Can you recommend one from somewhere handy like amazon ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Allow an average of 4GB per hour of HD recording

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Cheers
    Would this do the job ?
    Plenty space but is it compatible?
    From looking at the menu,the TV will do the formatting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-PlayStation-STEA1000400/dp/B00TKFEEAS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

This will do the job for you.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8356086/Trail/searchtext%3ESEAGATE.htm

I have used the same one on an LG tv without any problems, but mine is 500GB.
    Argos are selling the same drive in 500GB for the same price, if you cannot find stock.

I use a usb stick now myself as the tv is in a bedroom and i dont want to hear a HDD spinning up and down during the night.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Cheers
    Would this do the job ?
    Plenty space but is it compatible?
    From looking at the menu,the TV will do the formatting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-PlayStation-STEA1000400/dp/B00TKFEEAS

Thats the same one as i linked from Argos, it will work fine.

ffocused wrote: »
    Thats the same one as i linked from Argos, it will work fine.

Cheers!
    I've reserved that 1 tb in Argos in Arklow, so will collect today as it's just over the road
    They hadn't any last time I looked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

ffocused wrote: »

I use a usb stick now myself as the tv is in a bedroom and i dont want to hear a HDD spinning up and down during the night.

You might find a USB stick wont last as they are not designed for repeated writing/rewriting. They tend to get slower over time. I use SSDs in a bedrrom and find them more reliable and cheap enough these days.

You might find a USB stick wont last as they are not designed for repeated writing/rewriting. They tend to get slower over time. I use SSDs in a bedrrom and find them more reliable and cheap enough these days.

I know an ssd would be more reliable, but i only record 1 or 2 times a week on it as majority of recording is done on main tv.
    I am using a 32gb stick as that is the max size an LG tv will accept for recording!

Got it yesterday, working perfectly thanks
    Only nuisance is no dual recording
    Youd get used to that on boxes
    So you have to be watching what's recording
    I presume it will record when TV is in standby but not obviously powered off altogether?

It does have a sat tuner but am still using sky at the moment so that's not connected

You can use satellite tuner when recording on terrestrial and vice versa.
    It will record without issue when in standby.

Advertisement