Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decorating rental

Options
  • 12-07-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

This a random question but I just wondered if I bought nice cushions, throws and bedspreads to make a rental look extra nice for staging for an open viewing, would these items have to be left there for the tenant? I was thinking about staging it with some things I could keep tags on and bringing them back afterwards to show it’s potential?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

As I tenant, I would expect what I see to be included unless it is obvious that the previous tenants haven't vacated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Nope as a tenant I certainly wouldn't expect any of that to be included. If it was left there, I'd either put it in storage (if I had room) or else ask for it to be removed. I hate moving into places with clutter left by the landlord or previous tenants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

While I wouldn't expect a landlord to leave bedding, cushions possibly. Wouldn't be too fussed either way.

If the budget is so tight you couldn't spring to the price of a few cushions, you may want to consider alternative investments. It's not just a literal cushion you'll be needing as a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

In the current market, do you need to be “showing potential”? It seems a bit unnecessary. I’d say you could take away the floorboards and people would still be fighting over the property, not to mind a few cushions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Crunchie77 wrote: »
    This a random question but I just wondered if I bought nice cushions, throws and bedspreads to make a rental look extra nice for staging for an open viewing, would these items have to be left there for the tenant? I was thinking about staging it with some things I could keep tags on and bringing them back afterwards to show it’s potential?

That wouldn’t constitute a substantial refurbishment 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Have the place CLEAN and freshly painted if necessary. Any furnishing should be a reasonable quailty and not just cast offs from another place. Beds should be good, clean mattresses with a quality new cover. Electrical equipment clean and working and not on it's last legs.

Take detailed photos before let.

Cushions, bedspreads are not necessary and will annoy some renters. Anyone who is impressed by them will expect them to stay.

I always include an ironing board and chopping boards and pot stands as they tend to save your table and worktops.

It is really a landlord's market unless you are very remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Crunchie77

Thanks everyone. I’ve done substantial refurbishments (basically gutted and redesigned the whole place) and I’ve finished it to a high standard with everything brand new so I wanted to make sure the job was finished off. I can leave them there but I suppose some tenants may want them and others may not. I think it will make the place look even better to add a pop of colour in a cushion and a nice throw. As you say, after tax it’s not gonna break me 🀣

Personally, I probably would dress the place to a limited extent. I think bare beds for example are particularly uninviting.

To a certain extent it depends on the market you're targeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I know someone who did something similar years ago. When the tenant moved in the items were gone and the tenant was resentful from the start. It looks like a 3 card trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Like others I would prefer a clear place. Just the furniture etc. BUT it would in no way affect my decision to rent or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Graham wrote: »
    Personally, I probably would dress the place to a limited extent. I think bare beds for example are particularly uninviting.

But the tenant is only going to have to remove the bedclothes and find space to store them; you're hardly going to move in and start sleeping in someone else's bedsheets after all?! A bare bed is exactly what I'd expect in a new rental. MAYBE a mattress protector but that's it.

I wouldn't leave the bedding, I don't think there are many tenants that would expect bedding for a long-term rental. I'd ask if they wanted the cushions etc.

In the current market it's probably not necessary as others have suggested. I do think it shows an element of care from a landlord that they've taken the time to present a property well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graham wrote: »

I like to see bare beds as that way i can check how clean and in what condition the mattress is in. and see the furniture the same way. Would never use pillows or cushions anyone else had used

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Crunchie77 wrote: »
    No, a tenant should have their own bedspreads.

Advertisement