Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house at auction (Repossessed)

Options
  • 12-07-2019 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I'm interested in a house going to auction, house was repossessed by the banks. My question revolves around the existing (renting) tenants. They were served their notice 7 months ago by the bank yet have not left yet. If I make a winning bid, is it on the bank to get the tenants to leave, or are they 'inherited' with the sale?

I don't want to take on the issue of problem tenants that are not going to willingly leave.

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What does the sales pack tell you?

Any mention of vacant possession?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

The tenants are likely yours to deal with if successful.

As Graham said the sales pack should state if the property is sold with vacant possession or with a tenancy.

Once thing id be concerned about is that the auction houses typically have a an auction every few months. If the tenants were served 7 months ago and due to leave soon they have been better off waiting for the next one and selling with VP- they'd get a much better price. If they are putting it in with the tenants in place they obviously in no rush to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Have you looked at the special conditions in the contract for sale? That will answer your question. Will you be able to complete with tenants in situ? most banks won't release funds for an occupied property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Hi folks, just been in touch with the agent to confirm, it is not vacant possession.

It was a cash purchase so there would have been no funding issue as a result, but the reserve price is too high to even consider dealing with the hassle of a tenant that'snot paying rent (as it turns out) and is refusing to leave. Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Hi folks, just been in touch with the agent to confirm, it is not vacant possession.

It was a cash purchase so there would have been no funding issue as a result, but the reserve price is too high to even consider dealing with the hassle of a tenant that'snot paying rent (as it turns out) and is refusing to leave. Thanks for your help :)

Fair play. you'll be a year or more getting rid of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 parkhouse

If the tenant is not paying rent then you can give a 14 days notice to pay if not then 28 day notice to leave. Have you spoken to the tenant?....

Advertisement