Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power washing a bike

Options
  • 12-07-2019 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Is it safe to power wash a bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

cococoady wrote: »
    I'd rather not.
    It depends how safe you are with the power washer.
    You can't just blast the shìt out of everywhere and not expect water to get in places you don't want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lots of potentially exposed bushings and bearings to degrease, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I got ripped apart and abused on a Facebook group for a particular bike for suggesting it was a bad idea.

Never put a power washer near a bike, its bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Of course it is.
    Don't go putting the nozzle centimeters away. Judge a safe amount of distance.

Of course it is.
    Don't go putting the nozzle centimeters away. Judge a safe amount of distance.

And how would one calculate that ?

Just curious.

• Advertisement

Simples.
    Want to blast something to get it clean? put the nozzle towards something. Pavement etc. Something that can withstand the pressure and not get destroyed.

As for a bike start a few feet away. It's not rocket science :pac:
    Of course the alternative to this is just getting a wet cloth and a bucket. But hey nobody got time for that. lol.

Simples.
    Want to blast something to get it clean? put the nozzle towards something. Pavement etc. Something that can withstand the pressure and not get destroyed.

As for a bike start a few feet away. It's not rocket science :pac:
    Of course the alternative to this is just getting a wet cloth and a bucket. But hey nobody got time for that. lol.

Seeing as not all power washers were created equal , nor were bike finishes. Its impossible to say what effect it would have on each bike. All bikes made in the last decade or so have water based paints on them. The finish is light and easily removed with a ham fisted attempts with a power washer.

Dont get me started on the effects on o-rings, seals, bearings etc.

I have two power washers, one will strip paint from a car and the other is fairly low pressure. Are you saying that both at a "safe distance" would be ok ?

D3V!L wrote: »
    Seeing as not all power washers were created equal , nor were bike finishes. Its impossible to say what effect it would have on each bike. All bikes made in the last decade or so have water based paints on them. The finish is light and easily removed with a ham fisted attempts with a power washer.

Dont get me started on the effects on o-rings, seals, bearings etc.

I have two power washers, one will strip paint from a car and the other is fairly low pressure. Are you saying that both at a "safe distance" would be ok ?

have you actually used them? no joke...or you just like being a smart arse?

but i "suppose" that power washer that'll strip a car will do so 10 feet away right?

I mean if you cant understand the term "use a safe distance" then I am amazed you are typing. ... using a pc.... heck dude you're a miracle

have you actually used them? no joke...or you just like being a smart arse?

but i "suppose" that power washer that'll strip a car will do so 10 feet away right?

I mean if you cant understand the term "use a safe distance" then I am amazed you are typing. ... using a pc.... heck dude you're a miracle

Do you actually have a bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I just cleaned the oil off my rear wheel there.
    Took 5 minutes.
    But enough of this chit chat,time to burn some rubber :D

2ent9gn.jpg

• Advertisement

Do you actually have a bike ?

ah the ol dodge things with a question eh?

well thanks blade1. looks sweet.

D3V!L, go back on facebook and moan to those who said it was a bad idea. It clearly gave you the hump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Tow

This is where the problem lies. A 'proper' power washer will strip the paint and worse. The basic domestic one 'should' be OK, if used with common sense.

My first experience with power washers was many years ago cleaning the bottom of boats. Easily stripping off paint and barnacles etc. A few years later they started becoming available in shops, to wash cars etc. I was shocked to see someone putting their hand in the jet one one of these, the power washers I was used to would have put them in A&E.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

ah the ol dodge things with a question eh?

well thanks blade1. looks sweet.

D3V!L, go back on facebook and moan to those who said it was a bad idea. It clearly gave you the hump.

Honest question because you've never posted on this forum before. I dont know you from adam and to be honest I dont give a f*ck what you do with your vehicles. I do take exception to the tone of your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wouldn't put a power washer near my bikes, and in work someone would be torn a new arsehole for power washing a DF bike.

Btw D, we went for the Versys 650 in the end. If you still have my number whatsapp me and I'll send you a photo.

Honest question because you've never posted on this forum before. I dont know you from adam and to be honest I dont give a f*ck what you do with your vehicles. I do take exception to the tone of your posts.

My "tone" was because of these:
    And how would one calculate that ?

Just curious.

I got back nice and happy but you only asked that solely for a set up to argue :pac: As you had already said how you got a bollocking off facebook when you argued it's bad.
    It happens so much online and I am not an idiot. You put a little bait out there, I took it and then you had your chance to prove how wrong I was. Rather than simply saying that to begin with. No matter what I replied with you were gonna say how "wrong I was" as a continuation about how so many people disagreed with you on facebook before. This is part-two for you.

So yeah... go on about my tone all you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive been powerwashing my bikes and cars for years, Engines included.

Ive never once, not once had paint strip, had electrics not work, stripped cables or degreased bushings.

Theres some level of spoof on the thread or else everyone here owns a 400hp petrol washer.

I get the fact that some folks prefer handwashing their bikes, more power to ya! (excuse the pun). But theres no need for all the danger talk. Its just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Stand back 4-6 foot and it would be no more dangerous than riding the bike in heavy rain.

I wouldn’t go up a foot away and spray into the pivot points, or spray up under the seat trying to rinse down your ECU, but that is kind of obvious.

Saying all that, I use a regular garden hose because my bikes never get that heavily soiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I had a gsxr that had 8 years of power washing.

Iv 20 years of power washing all sorts inc brand new bikes. All my own and never one issue from it. Inc really close up stuff to remove that one fly that wouldn't shift or recently spot removing chunks of tire after 120mph burnouts for drag racing.

Never a issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I wouldn't put a power washer near my bikes, and in work someone would be torn a new arsehole for power washing a DF bike.

Btw D, we went for the Versys 650 in the end. If you still have my number whatsapp me and I'll send you a photo.

Interestingly,I was beside a DF Despatch Rider on a Deauville 700 last week,up close and personal enough,to be gobsmackered at the sight of Pannier Lids completely wrapped in Grey ductape....It looked like something after being whisked from City Spares forecourt !

Conduct unbecoming......predjudicial to the maintenance of good order and discipline...at the very least !!

What's happenin dude....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have used a power washer no problem for years, mostly for the detergent setting where it just fine sprays out the foam with no pressure at all for a lovely equal coating of soapy goodness all over the bike. I then stand 5-6 feet back from the bike and general sweep of the bike not concentrating on a particular and never had a problem. I will say I never sprayed the digital clocks at all stayed away from the dash more or less.

I dont see a problem.....again common sense is key here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Interestingly,I was beside a DF Despatch Rider on a Deauville 700 last week,up close and personal enough,to be gobsmackered at the sight of Pannier Lids completely wrapped in Grey ductape....It looked like something after being whisked from City Spares forecourt !

Conduct unbecoming......predjudicial to the maintenance of good order and discipline...at the very least !!

What's happenin dude....:confused:

LOL, that thing is getting scrapped.

An army rat bike lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I've stopped using water to clean my bike altogether. I use a combination of solvents, spray cleaners and microfibre cloths to clean the bike and I no longer get water trapped in the bike or have to spend ages drying it with compressed air.

Some manufacturers say not use power-washers but KTM actually describe how to wash their big adventure bikes with a pressure washer in the owners manual. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I've blasted paint off a corroded engine with a pressure washer so I'd suggest using caution if you are inexperienced in the art of pressure-hosey-hydro-blasty-ness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

cococoady wrote: »

A lot of Manufacturer manuals specifically say the following about cleaning.
    Do not use a power washer
    Do not use alcohol based cleaner
    Do not use very hot water
    Use a light jet of water from hose to clean the Rad
    Use reputable brand polish after cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

grahambo wrote: »
    A lot of Manufacturer manuals specifically say the following about cleaning.

Do not drive bike. Keep it wrapped up in wool

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Great if you don't get too close or use an inline cleaner thats too aggressive. Bad results with mucoff making finish matt. Do not really use any of them agents anymore without testing.
    What pressure washers are good at it is removing grit without rubbing it in but i often see lads using them incorrectly at forecourts, cringearama lol.

listermint wrote: »
    Do not drive bike. Keep it wrapped up in wool

:P

OOh hi :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Bikes tend to have a lot of stickers and decals, not to mention their entire running gear is exposed.

gonko wrote: »
    Bikes tend to have a lot of stickers and decals, not to mention their entire running gear is exposed.

None of which will be affected from 8 feet with a power hose. Again used carefully they are great....

Seen a lad on utoob using a VARIO lance on a bike from 3 foot!!!! A vario lance is mental strong....would literally take skin off the bone. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I also use a power hose, there's a pressure setting for cars. Never had a problem, I'm just careful not to get too close and not to spray one area for very long.

• Advertisement

Karcher do a fabulous foam lance that literally turns your bike into a fuzz ball of soap its amazing....not just a little but loads of it. Leave it sit for 5mins and rinse no scrubbing involved. And it fits the top of the karcher car wash cleaner so even better again.

https://www.craigmoreonline.ie/karcher-fj6-foam-jet-nozzle?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1tzQiqfN4wIVk-FRCh12xwHuEAQYASABEgLPevD_BwE

Advertisement