Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any options for adding a garage to a semi-d

• 12-07-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Background: I bought my first home in Ireland more than a year ago, got a 117m2 semi detached in an estate 10 minutes drive to where I work; house has a small back garden.
    But one of the things I do realize I would use & not have on this house is a garage.
    I know ppl owning houses similar to mine may talk about attic conversions, or adding extra living space at the back of the house ... but was anyone involved in a project that built a garage in front of the house ?
    - assume the resources are un-limited for such conversion - can this be done ? (instead of buying a house that already has a garage).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I doubt if you will get planning for a garage in the front garden

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as above, front garden garages generally wont get planning permission.... but it really depends on your site....

i have gotten permission for a client before on a site.. but his was a end of terrace house, on a dead end turning bay.. with decent size so that the garage dint pass the side building line of the dwelling.

my advice would be to get a map of the site, and take photos, and go have a chat with a local engineer / architect / planing professional for a chat... they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I am no expert, but for my current front garden it won't be practical or visually pleasing - actually what I was thinking was if i were to change the layout of the house, create the garage in current building and extend living space at the back ...would that work ?
    - more of an imagination exercise at this stage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mvl wrote: »
    I am no expert, but for my current front garden it won't be practical or visually pleasing - actually what I was thinking was if i were to change the layout of the house, create the garage in current building and extend living space at the back ...would that work ?
    - more of an imagination exercise at this stage.

interesting idea.... could be a big project as, in my opinion, youd have to really give your front elevation a very modern face lift to render it completely different from your neighbours.....

simply opening a double door garage, beside your front door... would be a very hard sell to a planner

Advertisement