Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ewe with swollen ears

• 12-07-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

All right ....have a ewe with massively swollen ears...so swollen i cant even examine the inside of ear...any ideas please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

flos1964 wrote: »
    All right ....have a ewe with massively swollen ears...so swollen i cant even examine the inside of ear...any ideas please.

Photosensitisation can cause swelling in the head and ears, easy enough treated, probably better to get a proper diagnoses though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

wrangler wrote: »
    Photosensitisation can cause swelling in the head and ears, easy enough treated, probably better to get a proper diagnoses though

Thank you...vet over phone prescribed two separate shots for 3 days...never seen ears so swollen...cant even get into inner ear to examine...thanks Wrangler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

If you can get her into a shed and put some cheno unction or vaseline on the ears to keep the skin soft

ganmo wrote: »
    If you can get her into a shed and put some cheno unction or vaseline on the ears to keep the skin soft

Thanks ganmo..

Thanks ganmo..

She'd be better in a shed as it's a reaction to sun and tomorrow is supposed to be a scorcher

• Advertisement

She'd be better in a shed as it's a reaction to sun and tomorrow is supposed to be a scorcher

Going to do that now... she seems in ok form so thats good...thanks very much for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Photosensitation happens from eating a plant or liver damage more so than only sunlight itself I'd check what plants are in the field and look about dosing if it turns out till be liver damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Swollen ears can also be caused by fly and insect bites. Unlikely it'd happen to both ears though.

Lambman wrote: »
    Photosensitation happens from eating a plant or liver damage more so than only sunlight itself I'd check what plants are in the field and look about dosing if it turns out till be liver damage.

Maybe if you had an outbreak of it but with only an isolated case it's the ewes own allergy, We treat it that way anyway and use steroid injection which always cures it which would confirm allrgy

Maybe if you had an outbreak of it but with only an isolated case it's the ewes own allergy, We treat it that way anyway and use steroid injection which always cures it which would confirm allrgy

She is the only one allright...ill get the vet to give her a steroid injection tomorrow...she is still in good old form...thanks again everybody for all the help...

• Advertisement

She is the only one allright...ill get the vet to give her a steroid injection tomorrow...she is still in good old form...thanks again everybody for all the help...

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a steroid/cortisone in one of the bottles he gave you.
    Is she not improving

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a steroid/cortisone in one of the bottles he gave you.
    Is she not improving

Sorry did not see this post till now...she is eating and chewing the cud away so she seems in good form...the shots she received were given to me by the girl in the office so ill make sure what they were this morning ...thanks again.

Is she not improving

Yes you were 100% correct...10 mls a day for 3 days and now 3 mls a day for 3 days...eating and chewing cud and good form...she was a quintuplet so im fond of her...anyway thanks very much for all advice everybody.

Advertisement