Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Saddle Issues..

Options
  • 12-07-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi All,

I need your collective advice, experience and suggestions with the aim of solving the above issue which is preventing me cycling any long distances and more importantly removing my joy of cycling which I love.

I was diagnosed in 2014 with colon cancer, had surgery (procedure called a total pancolectomy) and have a stoma as a result (with collection pouch) on my abdomen. The pouch isn't the problem.

You see,the procedure removed my rectum as a precaution and as a result i cant sit with comfort for long periods when using a standard saddle. It is really starting to get me down given I have several grands worth of bike sitting in my shed gathering dust.

Are ISM saddles worth a shot ?

Any advice welcome

Cam.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Maybe something like an Elliptigo standup

or regular Elliptigo would be worth testing out

Either that or see if you can get a bespoke saddle made that supports you where you can take the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What bike do you ride (or not) currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Not sure whereabouts you are located but perhaps Aidan Hammond (Bike Fitting Ireland....google will pull up his website) located in Bray, might be able to help.

Possibly at least a phone call with him to explain the situation would be no harm and he can determine if he can assist from there....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Recumbent not ideal? Weight on your back and buttocks not between your legs. Velomobile to be mega aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

ED E wrote: »
    Recumbent not ideal? Weight on your back and buttocks not between your legs. Velomobile to be mega aero.

Personally I like a saddle that takes most of the weight on my ‘sit-bones’ and not on my rectum. These tend to look fairly flat across the back - I use specialized Toupe. However, I expect the very nose is useful between your thighs is useful for control. But I’ve no idea where you would get something with the center part scooped out.
    This might be of interest. - https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-no-nose-bike-saddle-faces-a-marketing-problem/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

a friend of mine who does deliveries swears by this one and bought it on advice from a friend who had his colon removed

https://www.spiderflex.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

i use this myself and you are pretty much sitting on your cheek bones with all the sensitive areas, including you hole out of contact.

Selle Well Saddle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I only cycle in the ism adamos. They're excellent for me. Not light though.

As others have said maybe a bike fit is the way to go, a lot of saddle comfort is trial and error too. I'd second Aidan Hammond, I've had a fitting with him and he's excellent, extremely experienced and seen almost everything. Might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

nee wrote: »
    I'd second Aidan Hammond...Might be the best option.
    Bit of a trek from Offaly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

smacl wrote: »
    Maybe something like an Elliptigo standup

or regular Elliptigo would be worth testing out

These are certainly capable of serious distance. I saw a group of them riding Paris-Brest-Paris in 2015. 1260km!...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lumen wrote: »

Ah, I didn't realise OP was in Offaly :o
    They have my deepest sympathies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What saddles do you use currently?

I too recommend the railed sit-bone style saddles. The specialized store in Dublin have a device for measuring the width of your pelvic sit bones. I use a Romin 143mm as a result for the last 7 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Lumen wrote: »

Aidan has a gazillion saddles, so probably worth it in this case.

I'd be a right grumpy bollocks if I couldn't cycle.

Edit to say: good work on not letting it hold you back and bringing it up, hopefully others in a similar situation will benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Comma

Have a look at the Selle SMP range. All have good, long cut outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

Op, I’ve recently started using an ISM PR1.0 and have to say it’s the best I’ve used to date for relieving pressure from prostrate area.
    I’ve used 3 others including the SMP well mentioned already which certainly helped but wasn’t totally right for me. The ISM is a tad heavier but unless your a weight weenie you won’t notice this or if your concerned lose the extra 40g from your saddle bag or water bottle.
    Try eBay for second hand saddles best option as you find plenty barely used ones for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

fat bloke wrote: »
    What saddles do you use currently?

I too recommend the railed sit-bone style saddles. The specialized store in Dublin have a device for measuring the width of your pelvic sit bones. I use a Romin 143mm as a result for the last 7 years or so.
    It’s easy enough to measure yourself. Sit on a step or something where your knees are around 90 degrees. Lean trunk at approx same angle as on bike, depending on your set-up. Once you are happy with that sit on something that your sit-bones will leave a mark in. A gym/yoga-matt worked for me but the dimple bounced back very quickly and I had to get someone else to mark them. Heavy cardboard can work and rubbing with chalk makes dimples clearer. Their width is not the saddle width - you must add 20cm (I think). U-tube it if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I use a Specialized Power saddle, had bowel survey last year (minor compared to your procedure) and was ok afterwards. Definitely worth getting a bike fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

Thanks All,
    As always an excellent response from the boardies here.

Offaly aint all that bad, we have the Slieve Blooms atleast.

Defo going to give Aiden a call, I commute up to Dublin for work so a trip out to bray to hopefully solve this issue is not a big obstacle.

Will wade my way thru all the saddle.suggestions today.

Thanks again
    Cam.

Advertisement