Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Speech Delay @ 22 Months - Working With It

• 12-07-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Our little lady had a check-up in Temple Street a few months ago and the pediatrician stated she had a severe speech delay. She's a bi-lingual child in that her Mam is Polish and I'm Irish so she's spoken to in two languages. She understands absolutely everything and from a young age she was very 'in tune' with what was going on around her and would focus on what you said to her. So in that respect I don't have too many concerns. She's engaged with us, smart, happy, knows her animals, shapes, colours etc so I'm not too worried about that. She really does seem like a clever lady. She's also gotten a lot more sociable and boisterous than she used to be.

We had her at Arc a few months ago where they said her receptive language skills were above her age level but of course her expressive language was poor- she basically doesn't say anything. She can say Mama at a push but it's not exactly natural. She recently had an appointment through the HSE and again there's not much they can really say at the moment as I guess it'll take time to try and figure out exactly what the issue is.

So my point with this post is to try and figure out how exactly we can help her with this. We know we need to apply the OWL method, something we do need to work on. Personally I'm very chatty and enthusiastic with her to the point it might be a little overwhelming and put her off saying things so I know I need to dial that back and try to take a measured approach to things.
    Because her world is getting bigger we've had a few occasions now where she's wanted something but I haven't understood what it is and she's become frustrated as a result. I'd like to try and avoid situations like this so I thought perhaps something like the below might be a good idea to help express herself:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Timetable-Schedule-pictures-Visual-Communication-Cards-ADHD-Autism-PECS/153441485832?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=453387825566&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm just worried that something like this might be a little counter productive?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108267477 - My previous thread on things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d talk to a speech and language therapist before introducing PECS. I asked about it for my boy and she recommended using lámh signs to reinforce the language. She implied that PECs would be more useful for older children likely to be non verbal. My guy has an intellectual disability though. Your girl doesn’t sound like she does. So I really don’t know. Get professional advice.

We did a Hanen course through HSE and found it excellent.

Advertisement