Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycling in the US

Options
  • 12-07-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

* Motorcycling and roaming in the US *

I'll be in the US for up to 14 days and using a friend's motorcycle.

Can anyone advise on how the mobile network works in the US? I will need coverage for occasional calls and phone satnav when there. I'm on the Three Ireland network using an iPhone and want to avoid roaming charges as much as possible.

I'd like to take some footage when travelling - which is a good action camera to use?

Any general advice on motorcycling in the US would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Get your phone unlocked and add a T-Mobile or AT&T sim card with a pay as you go plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Get your phone unlocked and add a T-Mobile or AT&T sim card with a pay as you go plan.

Would that mean I wouldn't be able to receive or make calls/text messages/whatsapp messages to and from my usual number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Data is really expensive, but free wifi is plentiful. With regards maps, you can pre download maps on Google Maps. GPS is actually free, data is just used to download the maps.

If you buy a US sim card, you'll have a US number

infacteh wrote: »
    Data is really expensive, but free wifi is plentiful. With regards maps, you can pre download maps on Google Maps. GPS is actually free, data is just used to download the maps.

If you buy a US sim card, you'll have a US number

Would it work on iOS Maps to pre download?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I assume so

• Advertisement

Carnmore wrote: »
    Would that mean I wouldn't be able to receive or make calls/text messages/whatsapp messages to and from my usual number?

Text messages and calls won't work but whatsapp will.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I'd like to take some footage when travelling - which is a good action camera to use?

Pick up a second hand older generation GoPro and mount it to the bike or your helmet.

The two weeks of footage will be worth the cost - Bring a laptop/tablet and transfer all the footage to the device each night.

Make sure you have tons of storage space on the laptop as you'll get a few hundred GB of footage.

When you get home you can look forward to editing it down in to a nice home made vacation movie haha.

Shakey footage can be stabilized when editing it later.

Just walk into the first AT&T or T-Mobile store you find and get one there. it'll be cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Friend who travels north mid-west US claims that T-Mobile has dead zones.

• Advertisement

Fathom wrote: »
    Friend who travels north mid-west US claims that T-Mobile has dead zones.

They all have dead zones. You'd have to hit the coverage maps to be certain you're covered.

Advertisement