Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I HATE floury spuds

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Feck no.
    British queens are the archetypal floury spud.

Not the first flush of them that are flooding the market now. I grow them myself, have done for a few years now. I can absolutely confirm that early season queens are more waxy than floury :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

DBB wrote: »
    Not the first flush of them that are flooding the market now. I grow them myself, have done for a few years now. I can absolutely confirm that early season queens are more waxy than floury :)

Now that you say it, Rush Queens sound familiar.
    This floury/non floury spud discussion has the ability to divide the nation. It's like the Dev/Collins treaty debate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Keogh's are one of the main North County growers and they have information on all the varieties HERE
    Every one on the list is floury :(
    I like both floury and waxy, depending on what way I'm using them - but those ones you have there wouldn't appeal to me at all. You really need to steam floury potatoes, not boil them, because they break up.

Nothing worse than trying to fish a spud out of the pot only for it to dissolve

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Found maris pipers in a local supermarket, a gentle simmer in salted water and they are waxy and yellow!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

New potatoes need to be fairly waxy to be perfect imo, and for me the perfect big potato is one that is in that sweet spot where they hold their shape and don't split, but aren't actually waxy either. Roosters used to be fairly reliable, but in the last few years I've found they've gone very explode-y and floury. No idea why, I'm cooking them in exactly the same way as I've always done.

I hate floury potatoes - either they are mush in the pot or incredibly dry and powdery unless you drown them in butter. I love butter but I'd rather eat it on something that's actually nice, like good fresh bread or really nice potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

With you all the way, OP. I'm not from Ireland originally, and never really got the appeal of floury potatoes.
    Back home, we would have different types for different purposes : Bamberger Hoernchen or Sieglinde for salads, Nicola for just boiled potatoes or pan-fried, Christa for mash, Augusta for dumplings. But even the most floury potatoes there - the ones we'd only use to make dumpling out of - was nowhere near as dry and powdery as most potatoes here. I still cannot eat simple boiled potatoes here, my mouth goes so dry I simply cannot swallow them.

And it's so hard to find anything other than floury potaotes here. The only ones seem to be salad potatoes, and they only come in teeny-tiny size...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I so miss Bamberger Hörnchen! Absolutely delicious. Have my problems with the floury potatoes here, too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You’re all banned. The official* position of the Food forum is that floury spuds are the bee’s knees and one of the finest foods available to mankind.

*Not officially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Faith wrote: »
    You’re all banned. The official* position of the Food forum is that floury spuds are the bee’s knees and one of the finest foods available to mankind.

*Not officially

Are you saying this is a dicTatership???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Floury for roasting.
    Waxy for salads.
    Roosters for the bin.

QED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What's with the hate for roosters?
    I hear this a lot.

I think, they are a great all purpose spud.
    Good flavour, not too many eyes, good for mash, roasting, baking, hold together well, not too floury, not too waxy, not watery.
    What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What's with the hate for roosters?
    I hear this a lot.

I think, they are a great all purpose spud.
    Good flavour, not too many eyes, good for mash, roasting, baking, hold together well, not too floury, not too waxy, not watery.
    What's the issue?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone ever see Jersey Royals in any shop?

B0jangles wrote: »
    Are you saying this is a dicTatership???

:D:D:D

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Roosters for the bin.

:eek: Wash your mouth out with soapy spuds !!
    Rooster are great oul spuds, they make brilliant baked potatoes. Great all rounder of a spud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love Roosters!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 viewer

Golden wonders are my spud of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

viewer wrote: »
    Golden wonders are my spud of choice.

Tasty spud but really only suitable for baking, imo. Even then they need so much butter as they're so dry. Great flavour, though.
    Steaming or boiling them is almost impossible.
    Good roast, too, but you have to be very careful par boiling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

My local shop had love big new season potatoes from Puglia of all places. Washed and baked until the skins were almost crispy. Heaven on a plate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I spoke too soon about the maris pipers i got. The search continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

DBB wrote: »
    British Queens, no? Deliciousness on a plate. Not overly waxy, but not floury.... Though I like both :o

Rush Queens are very floury. They'll be at their best from August until mid-October. Absolutely the best roasting potato! Poach them gently rather than parboil. Drain, then give a good shake in the pot to roughen them up before adding to hot oil in the roasting pan.

Advertisement