Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many foxes

Options
  • 12-07-2019 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Since I got the gun repaired I’ve been out twice and seen too many foxes.
    Took four shots. Killed three. Seen at least eight foxes in two separate land locations.
    This evening I seen three and shot two.
    https://ibb.co/2Mjvw3V
    https://ibb.co/2KF7NCS

Tonight l got two dog foxes one a decent size. Other last years cub I’d say.
    Are they just everywhere now. There’s plenty of rabbits with Mixxy about so there’s plenty to eat. Also seen quite a few pheasants.
    May need a hand getting rid of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Since I got the gun repaired I’ve been out twice and seen too many foxes.
    Took four shots. Killed three. Seen at least eight foxes in two separate land locations.
    This evening I seen three and shot two.
    https://ibb.co/2Mjvw3V
    https://ibb.co/2KF7NCS

Tonight l got two dog foxes one a decent size. Other last years cub I’d say.
    Are they just everywhere now. There’s plenty of rabbits with Mixxy about so there’s plenty to eat. Also seen quite a few pheasants.
    May need a hand getting rid of them.

Seeing alot back home too - lads doing vermin control on our Curlew project saying the same thing. The very mild winter etc. probably increased the survival rate of last years cubs that are breeding now.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Certainly seems to be a lot about. I shot 3 tonight over an area of about 60 acres.
    I saw two more but wasn’t able to shoot as they were sky lined . 2 on Friday night off the same patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

The fine weather has all the wildlife thriving including foxes. There is so much food for them meaning the survival rate is high.

I tried to pm you dodderangler but your inbox is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

visited a spot last week which i haven't shot over since November the minute i got into the field the fun began shot 5 and seen double that during the night on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thomasc4329

There's a lot about but the grown cubs will still be close to the adults that might account for seeing large numbers in an area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Why are you going around shooting foxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

A healthy natural fox population in the country side is a good thing.
    But over abundance of food both natural and unintended (food waste, poultry, game stock birds, lambs etc) will encourage over population. As well as being a scourage to farmers, game keepers and the domestic chicken / duck owners foxs in large numbers can do a lot of damage to ground nesting birds.
    Over density of fox numbers can lead to poorer breeding stock and transmission of disease among thier numbers. Culling foxs will reduce the negative impact they have in given areas while improving thier own blood line.
    Soon after a hunter removes foxs from a given area other foxs from surrounding locals will take up residence. Some keepers would maintain pairs of foxes in certain locations and cull the cubs or any free ranging fox in order to try and maintain a balance as a mating pair would defend it's territory from others and push on thier own young to seek new locations.

My compliments to cookimonster for taking the time to explain on a hunting forum to the uninformed as to why we hunt foxes.

Sika98k wrote: »
    My compliments to cookimonster for taking the time to explain on a hunting forum to the uninformed as to why we hunt foxes.

And mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The Nal wrote: »
    And mine

Our thanks to you for listening to our side of the debate and considering it
    If you don't agree that is fine but thanks for respecting our view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

A healthy natural fox population in the country side is a good thing.
    But over abundance of food both natural and unintended (food waste, poultry, game stock birds, lambs etc) will encourage over population. As well as being a scourage to farmers, game keepers and the domestic chicken / duck owners foxs in large numbers can do a lot of damage to ground nesting birds.
    Over density of fox numbers can lead to poorer breeding stock and transmission of disease among thier numbers. Culling foxs will reduce the negative impact they have in given areas while improving thier own blood line.
    Soon after a hunter removes foxs from a given area other foxs from surrounding locals will take up residence. Some keepers would maintain pairs of foxes in certain locations and cull the cubs or any free ranging fox in order to try and maintain a balance as a mating pair would defend it's territory from others and push on thier own young to seek new locations.

What's considered a healthy natural fox population?

Lemsiper wrote: »
    What's considered a healthy natural fox population?

Probably about 10k(according to Padraic Fogarty's excellent book Whittled Away - the current population is nearer 100k due to a lack/extinction of natural predators(wolves,large eagles,Lynx etc.) alot fewer people nowadays snaring,lamping and trapping, plus they have invaded towns/cities in the past 50 years where they do very well exploiting our waste.

I've said it before, often being out on permissions with the intention of lamping foxes and come up empty handed only to come across half a dozen fox on the way home deep in the urban / city sprawl.
    Bar unforseen circumstances the fox is here to stay, much like thier bigger relative the every adaptable Coyote.

I've said it before, often being out on permissions with the intention of lamping foxes and come up empty handed only to come across half a dozen fox on the way home deep in the urban / city sprawl.
    Bar unforseen circumstances the fox is hete to stay, much like thier bigger relative the every adaptable Coyote.

Yeah - collected herself from Dun Laoghire the other night and clocked 6 between there and joining the M50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Probably about 10k(according to Padraic Fogarty's excellent book Whittled Away - the current population is nearer 100k due to a lack/extinction of natural predators(wolves,large eagles,Lynx etc.) alot fewer people nowadays snaring,lamping and trapping, plus they have invaded towns/cities in the past 50 years where they do very well exploiting our waste.

Wow, that's a crazy difference in numbers. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Often see foxes roaming the street I live on in Dublin. In terms of range, what type of range or area would it take to support a pair of foxes? And on the coyote point, were they ever native to here or introduced at some point? Never heard of them residing here.

They're getting ballsier for food too. One of them nearly jumped in my kitchen window. Shouted and him and he gave me a "whats the problem?" sort of look before casually trotting off over the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

VW 1 wrote: »
    And on the coyote point, were they ever native to here or introduced at some point? Never heard of them residing here.

Don't think we ever had coyote's here but we had Spotted Hyena's here, once upon a time

https://www.museum.ie/The-Collections/Documentation-Discoveries/May-2013/Spotted-Hyena-Skull

A few “ cougars” have been spotted also.

A few “ cougars” have been spotted also.

Usually seen in thier natural habit of Temple Bar and Shop Street Galway, but can be found anywhere there is a strong presence of Chardonnay and a healthy young male gathering..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Thread here giving out about the shooting of foxes to protect an endangered tern, baffling.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058009566/1

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

Feck, had to come back here and rest, my head hurts after reading that. Hadn't the heart to mention that gunmen is a sexist term,..... We are actually a lot nicer to each here than I realised.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Thread here giving out about the shooting of foxes to protect an endangered tern, baffling.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058009566/1

It’s quite a good read. The people posting appear to be nicely out of touch with the realities of nature. I wonder if any of them have seen a chicken coop after Charlie visited one dark night ? Catch and release ? That’s illegal. Sterilisation :eek:, that’s going to be pretty difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It’s quite a good read. The people posting appear to be nicely out of touch with the realities of nature. I wonder if any of them have seen a chicken coop after Charlie visited one dark night ? Catch and release ? That’s illegal. Sterilisation :eek:, that’s going to be pretty difficult.

Disney have a lot to be responsible for tbh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sterilisation :eek:, that’s going to be pretty difficult.

Not if you 243 it

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

You do have to laugh when these people say sterilisation is the better and more humane approach, if that form of control is successful then that species is gone and they are then responsible for the extinction of said species.
    They would soon change their ideas if you said right you want to sterilize the fox population, here are the drugs and tools now YOU go and do it, give them a week they will be back looking for the pills marked .223.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Jaysus... Those kind of urban Nature nazis would do your head in...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

solarwinds wrote: »
    You do have to laugh when these people say sterilisation is the better and more humane approach, if that form of control is successful then that species is gone and they are then responsible for the extinction of said species.

They would soon change their ideas if you said right you want to sterilize the fox population, here are the drugs and tools now YOU go and do it, give them a week they will be back looking for the pills marked .223.

Now how exactly do I sterilize my .223 bullets, wouldn't want any contamination of the wound area now would we.
    Ah you have to laugh. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Jaysus... Those kind of urban Nature nazis would do your head in...

They haven't a clue what is going on in the real world, "oh look I have a 'pet fox' at the end of my garden, I'd better leave out some food for it". Encouraging pests like that and you're looking for trouble. Foxes are at the top of their food pyramid with no natural predators and unless they are thinned out will take over a place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I see 3 in St Stephens Green every morning if anyone fancy's a shot

Advertisement