Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a builder, engineer or surveyor?

Options
  • 12-07-2019 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hi. As it says in the title, my son is looking at a 3 storey townhouse (roughly 2600 sq ft) to buy. It has pretty good structure generally but I would like him to have it looked over by a professional, as there are some damp issues that I can see and also some sort of problem around the roof/chimney area between it and the next building that has caused plaster to peel off top storey walls and some ceiling sag.
    I would guess that the house is circa early 1900's build..

Basically I need to know what tradesman I would have to get to come and give me an idea as to whether the work is really serious or something straight forward to have fixed. Also, what sort of cost involved in hiring this person to come and assess the problems?

The house is in the County Cavan area (for purposes of assessing cost).

Looking forward to any advice I can get regarding these questions.
    Thanks

Advertisement