Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private function rooms in the city

Options
  • 13-07-2019 11:15am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I’m looking for suggestions and recommendations of places in the city centre that have a private function room that could cater for a party of roughly 50 people (plus or minus 20). I’m in the very early stages of planning a surprise party, so ideally it would be in a hotel or restaurant (and reasonably upmarket) - somewhere that I could mask the surprise by plausibly suggesting we go for a drink or dinner there. We’d need finger food but not a sit-down meal. I know of the penthouse in the Clarion, but I haven’t lived in Cork for a while so I’m struggling to think of other places.

All suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Faith wrote: »
    Hi folks, I’m looking for suggestions and recommendations of places in the city centre that have a private function room that could cater for a party of roughly 50 people (plus or minus 20). I’m in the very early stages of planning a surprise party, so ideally it would be in a hotel or restaurant (and reasonably upmarket) - somewhere that I could mask the surprise by plausibly suggesting we go for a drink or dinner there. We’d need finger food but not a sit-down meal. I know of the penthouse in the Clarion, but I haven’t lived in Cork for a while so I’m struggling to think of other places.

All suggestions appreciated!

The imperial has a penthouse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Isn't that just a fancy bedroom, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Montenotte is very nice, these days.
    Very good finger food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Isn't that just a fancy bedroom, really?

It caters for parties too. Went to a hen party there a few years back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Montenotte is very nice, these days.
    Very good finger food too.

I would never have thought about there! Their website is sparse so I've emailed for more info, thanks.

I had a look but it seems like their rooms are either too big or too small :(.

The River Lee seems like it could be another option that I must check out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

the cricket club or county hall. No idea whether catering provided but presumably outside caterers could do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Balmed Out wrote: »
    the cricket club or county hall. No idea whether catering provided but presumably outside caterers could do.

Yeah, there's lots of places like that, but the trouble would be inventing a reason to go there. That's why I'd prefer a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's a lovely function room in the Montenotte for about 50-60 people and it has views overlooking the city. It's just off the bar there so could easily mask a surprise party. Had a party there ourselves about a year ago and it was superb. Added bonus of an in house cinema next to the function room which was showing kids movies, entertained the smallies all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

For a party, the imperial penthouse is fab, and would be great for that size group. I was there for a party of 30+ people last year and it was great. Huge balcony for a bbq or finger food. Plus, if the person with the party is staying over, the top floor of it is a bedroom. They have a swing too in there I think (no FF Councillors in attendance I hope!) I think it's around 1000 for the night for full use of it.

River Lee has several function rooms, the one on the top floor is gorgeous, great views over the river and there is a bar there. They set it up any way you want. Nice breakout areas there too. I've been at a couple of smaller weddings there, it's very nice.

Cork international hotel (the nicer hotel up at the airport!) has function rooms with a bar.

Hayfield Manor, this is their bread and butter, but it is pricey.

Any hotel really will do these, Maryborough, kingsley etc.

Pairc Ui Caoimhe has function rooms, not sure would they be too big for what you want, but they are a bit of craic, great views again.

Some restaurants do these rooms as well, would need to talk to them about the food options...
    Jacobs on the mall
    Crawford & Co have dining rooms I think, but I haven't been in them
    Nash 19 opens in the evenings for private events sometimes. Possibly the triskel as well? Other arty places can hold events with food too... glucksman, the sculpture factory, crawford.

Nostalgia time, Fleming's and Lovett's used to be the mainstays for this in the 80's and 90's, but both are long closed.

Advertisement