Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS Max water damage

Options
  • 13-07-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

My son is a big Apple fan and buys his new phone direct from Apple every year.
    He was away on holiday recently and had his Iphone XS Max in his life vest in fresh water for about 10 mins. As Apple state this phone is waterproof to 2metres for 30 minutes he wasn’t worried. Unfortunately when he took the phone out the screen was not working so the phone must have suffered water damage.
    On contacting Apple and explaining the situation, he was told that the phone is useless now and he would need to buy a replacement phone at full price. They didn’t even want to examine it, to check if it was repairable.
    Surely this is false advertising by Apple? The phone seems to be working apart from the screen which is flashing with green lines. Holding it certain ways I can see the time and the number screen for passcode. Does any one have any ideas on what to do next. I can’t believe that a phone which cost over €1300 less than a year ago can be useless now. The screen isn’t even cracked or scratched.
    He is very disillusioned with Apple now, after being a very loyal customer for many years. Surely it should have at least deserved to be checked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The iphone is water resistant not waterproof.
    And Apple do not cover damage caused by liquid under warranty.
    Now that he's told them exactly what he's done he's goosed really.
    Best bet is to pack it with rice and store it for a few days turned off and see if it returns. Do not plug in a power cable to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My son is a big Apple fan and buys his new phone direct from Apple every year.
    He was away on holiday recently and had his Iphone XS Max in his life vest in fresh water for about 10 mins. As Apple state this phone is waterproof to 2metres for 30 minutes he wasn’t worried. Unfortunately when he took the phone out the screen was not working so the phone must have suffered water damage.
    On contacting Apple and explaining the situation, he was told that the phone is useless now and he would need to buy a replacement phone at full price. They didn’t even want to examine it, to check if it was repairable.
    Surely this is false advertising by Apple? The phone seems to be working apart from the screen which is flashing with green lines. Holding it certain ways I can see the time and the number screen for passcode. Does any one have any ideas on what to do next. I can’t believe that a phone which cost over €1300 less than a year ago can be useless now. The screen isn’t even cracked or scratched.
    He is very disillusioned with Apple now, after being a very loyal customer for many years. Surely it should have at least deserved to be checked.

This makes things crystal clear https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Take it into a repair shop, it's probably savable. It's saltwater it needs to be cleaned off quick internally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I read about someone who successfully got Apple to replace their water damaged XS by pointing to the video below and claiming false advertising. This was the XS rollout video in which Phil Schiller encouraged people to drop their new iPhone XS in a swimming pool. "Let it dry, you'll be fine."

Jump to 40:30 below.

Advertisement