Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW N47 camchain work

• 13-07-2019 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what the story is when BMW were charging a few grand to change the cam chain and tensioners etc, and independents were charging up to 2k and now I see on DD ads for doing the work for €800??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

newmember? wrote: »
    I'm wondering what the story is when BMW were charging a few grand to change the cam chain and tensioners etc, and independents were charging up to 2k and now I see on DD ads for doing the work for €800??

the 1+3 series are a lot easier to do than the 5 series hence the cheaper quotes.
    Most indy's are familiar with the process now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ah OK...thought it maybe they were just changing the tensioners or something as I thought BMW were going as far as swapping out crankshafts in some cases.
    That's good news so, as I have a 1 series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Prices have come down a lot in recent times and average price is about 1000 to 1200 now from a good indy but you need to compare like with like rather than just headline Aldi type pricing. What exactly is being done for €800? It's like comparing servicing costs. I'm sure Joe the part time mechanic living across the road can do a service for €80 cash with generic oil and filter in his shed compared to an independant with a proper workshop and tools who will supply the correct grade oil and filter specifically for your car. The indy may have to charge more because he has higher overheads, pays tax, invests in expensive equipment and might have a few mechanics working for him, etc. Same goes with the main dealers at the top of the scale, who have higher operational costs again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Just wanted to say in case anyone is hesitant about making the enquiry (like I was) about getting their N47 engine camchain checked out.
    I left in a 2008 UK import with very little history (I bought it with zero history, but found out subsequently it had been in a BMW dealers in the UK three times in it's life of 70k miles - and one of those was to fit new camchain tensioners) to a dealer on the Naas Rd who did a camchain test on it for €150, which it failed. They then asked me did I want them to put forward an appeal on my behalf to BMW's goodwill department, of which of course with nothing to lose I agreed. BMW agreed to replace all chains and tensioners free gratis and the only thing I was charged for was the initial test which cost only €120 with BMW first. Have to say, I was delighted.:)

Advertisement