Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Brake Pads, when to replace

Options
  • 13-07-2019 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

See attached image. All pads are the Swissstop Flash EVO Black Prince

- Top one is new
    - Middle pair used
    - Bottom pair completely gone.

Bottom pair binned, question is is there life in the middle pair ? Grooves pretty much gone but still a fair bit of rubber.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Yeah I would still use the middle set. Give them a good clean and wear them down to the limit line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

There isn't a limit line is there ? Surely its not the line clearly visible on the 4th pad down

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The middle set are done, throw them out.

I would never let them get anywhere near the bottom pair. If one of the 4 grooves is worn down, throw them away.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

2nd pair are borderline, I'd clean them and use some fine sand paper to get rid of any debris that might scrape at the rims. At a push they're usable for another few spins but probably time to replace at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Second pair have lots of life left in them.

(Thread needs a poll it seems.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Brian? wrote: »
    The middle set are done, throw them out.

I would never let them get anywhere near the bottom pair. If one of the 4 grooves is worn down, throw them away.

Explain why? There is more than 50% of the braking material remaining.

Thought there may be mixed opinions. Replaced bottom set, had missed a trick and hadn't realized how worn they were. They were on the front so wouldn't notice as quick.

Was initially going to move the middle set to the front and put new ones on the rear. But as you have to buy a set of 4 anyway decided to use all 4.

Question remains whether its worth keeping middle set and I think I will. Its quite likely that one of the 2 new sets will become worse than them and there could be a time lag before ordering new ones. Like all things carbon, they're not particularly cheap, 38 euros at Mantel.

It did make me wonder when others switch, hence the thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Was initially going to move the middle set to the front and put new ones on the rear.
    would you not want the good pads on the front?

would you not want the good pads on the front?

I suppose the thinking is there is always more wear on the back than front. And pads either work or they don't. And a bit of wear doesn't necessarily mean they won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I suppose the thinking is there is always more wear on the back than front. And pads either work or they don't. And a bit of wear doesn't necessarily mean they won't work.

The expectation and the norm is that front pads wear quicker than rear pads. Same with bicycle rim wear. That’s the reason Campagnolo amongst others develop less powerful rear brakes and front brake discs are a larger diameter, as rear brakes are not as important in stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I suppose the thinking is there is always more wear on the back than front.
    not that there's more wear, per se, but that back brakes are for slowing down, front brakes are for stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Question remains whether its worth keeping middle set and I think I will. Its quite likely that one of the 2 new sets will become worse than them and there could be a time lag before ordering new ones. Like all things carbon, they're not particularly cheap, 38 euros at Mantel.

What do people think of these pads?
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4-1/

I've only started using carbon rims recently and went with them. Seem perfectly fine to me but I have no reference point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

tuxy wrote: »
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4-1/

I've only started using carbon rims recently and went with them. Seem perfectly fine to me but I have no reference point.

I have used them and think they are very good pads. I have read that they are the same as the original “reynolds cryo blue” brake pads. I have used them too and can’t tell the difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Explain why? There is more than 50% of the braking material remaining.

Because the grooves allow water to be dispersed more easily.

I am happy to admit I may be way over the top here, I replace my brakes as soon as one groove is gone. If there's one thing I want absolute optimal performance from it's brakes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

In fairness the dirt and crud on the second pair will do more damage to your nice carbon rims than the amount of/ lack of brake pads you have.

tuxy wrote: »

Wow, they are so much cheaper than the Swissstop.

letape wrote: »
    The expectation and the norm is that front pads wear quicker than rear pads. Same with bicycle rim wear. That’s the reason Campagnolo amongst others develop less powerful rear brakes and front brake discs are a larger diameter, as rear brakes are not as important in stopping.

Hmmm, interesting. The bottom completely worn set were the front. I just assumed that I swapped them around at some point but maybe not, I certainly don't remember doing so.

Wow, they are so much cheaper than the Swissstop.

I see there are other good value carbon pads on planet x

https://www.planetx.co.uk/s?q=carbon+brake+pads

Is there much difference in quality between various pads I wonder ?

And do some pads work particularly well with some carbon rims. I can't remember why I went for Swissstop in the first place, perhaps it was the wet weather braking marketing blurb.

Advertisement