Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with canned food?

Options
  • 13-07-2019 3:50pm

Was in the shop earlier perusing and there was a mad variety of canned stuff. Fish, pate, chicken etc.

Is it bad? Is it all full of salt like I've been led to believe? I know little about it since I only get the odd tin of tuna.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's food, in a can.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Was in the shop earlier perusing and there was a mad variety of canned stuff. Fish, pate, chicken etc.

Is it bad? Is it all full of salt like I've been led to believe? I know little about it since I only get the odd tin of tuna.
    Full of salt and preservatives, but when faced with canned food vs no food, it's fine.

Some things are obviously better than others. Tinned tomatos etc = good. Tinned spam/entire chickens = poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It depends on what's in the can. Some canned foods are excellent others are rubbish.

It depends on what's in the can. Some canned foods are excellent others are rubbish.
    A friend of mine is stereotypically French and she adores snails. Obviously we don't get them in Ireland, but she buys tinned snails in some mad exclusive shop in France. They're about €50 a can but they're actually quite tasty. They don't come in shells so she has a collection of shells that she puts them into if she's serving them at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,982 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sullivlo wrote: »
    Full of salt and preservatives, but when faced with canned food vs no food, it's fine.

Some things are obviously better than others. Tinned tomatos etc = good. Tinned spam/entire chickens = poor.

The whole point of the can is that you don't need salt or preservatives. So why would they add to the cost of production by using canning and preservatives when they could just use preservatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Get some cans of Guinness and you'll have no more worries about canned food

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I have snails in my garden if she wants some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Food and drink in a can. What will they think of next :O

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I have snails in my garden if she wants some.

The fcukers are everywhere these days!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nuyil simp

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Food and drink in a can. What will they think of next :O

You can get wine in cans now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

nuyil simp wrote: »
    You can get wine in cans now

Beer can size?

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Dramatik

[Andy Warhol likes this]

Del2005 wrote: »
    The whole point of the can is that you don't need salt or preservatives. So why would they add to the cost of production by using canning and preservatives when they could just use preservatives?
    Most will still have some form of salt or preservative though. Tuna in brine, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pretty horrific story about what can go wrong with early attempts at canned food... lead poisoning and improperly sealed cans during the 1845 expedition to the Arctic by HMS Erebus and HMS Terror.
    https://www.historytoday.com/archive/canned-food-sealed-icemens-fate

Without canned foods, it would not have been possible for the trench warfare of mass armies in World War One to have occurred, as there would have been no way to supply such numbers all year round with fresh food.

Thankfully things have moved on since then but with home canning there's a risk of botulism.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sullivlo wrote: »
    Most will still have some form of salt or preservative though. Tuna in brine, for example.

it comes in sunflower oil too..

and baked beans... a staple...;

But tins are heat sealed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Canned fruit and vegetables are often more nutritional than fresh. Also, convenient, store for longer and less waste. Although items like baked beans can have half a cup of sugar per can. Tinned foods can a great benefit but always worth reading the ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

sullivlo wrote:
    A friend of mine is stereotypically French and she adores snails. Obviously we don't get them in Ireland, but she buys tinned snails in some mad exclusive shop in France. They're about €50 a can but they're actually quite tasty. They don't come in shells so she has a collection of shells that she puts them into if she's serving them at a party.

I worked in several 5 star hotels in my younger days and what your friend does is common practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

canned tomatoes and pineapple are absolutely essential in ireland as the fresh versions we get here are dreadful

I worked in several 5 star hotels in my younger days and what your friend does is common practice.
    Oh yeah I know! They have a collection of "nice" shells and are stored like any other bowl!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ortiz tuna
    Mutti tomatoes

Both very good.
    Beer has to be bottled though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Pretty horrific story about what can go wrong with early attempts at canned food... lead poisoning and improperly sealed cans during the 1845 expedition to the Arctic by HMS Erebus and HMS Terror.
    https://www.historytoday.com/archive/canned-food-sealed-icemens-fate

Without canned foods, it would not have been possible for the trench warfare of mass armies in World War One to have occurred, as there would have been no way to supply such numbers all year round with fresh food.

Thankfully things have moved on since then but with home canning there's a risk of botulism.

One of the maddest food achievements I ever saw was a guy eating from an Army Reserve Ration (some variety of beef if I recall correctly) which was assembled in 1901 for the Boer War. These things were long out of expiry by the time the First World War started and yet he nibbles away at it in 2018 with no bother. I can only presume after 100 or so years everything had decayed to have no life/bacteria left in it at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

BPA

BPA

Least of my worries

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Closet I've come to death was from a tin of mackeral fillets.
    Three days to recover.

kneemos wrote: »
    Closet I've come to death was from a tin of mackeral fillets.
    Three days to recover.

What?
    I'm constantly eating the stuff.

Did you leave it for a while after opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What?
    I'm constantly eating the stuff.

Did you leave it for a while after opening?

Don't think so. Went through a spell of bad luck with food poisoning.
    The fish was the worst though. Filled the wash had basin with projectile vomit,while filling the loo on the other end.

I was eating them for years as well without a problem. Just bad luck I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Read the labels. Plenty of canned food has no salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I agree, something very suspicious going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Ortiz tuna
    Mutti tomatoes

Both very good.
    Beer has to be bottled though.

Does beer have to be bottled? I drink cans of Guinness and they are lovely.

Advertisement