Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mikrotik Hap ac -> OpenWRT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Why would you do this? There is literally nothing RouterOS can't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Sorry only saw the reply now. While I agree with you that RouterOS has more features out of the box, there are several reasons for me:

1) The obnoxious user hostile interface. I am quite a technical person but I don't want to learn iptable principles for a simple port forward. Every time I want to configure something simple I have to do a DuckDuckGo search to help me get it done. The command line interface is bat**** crazy, some sort of castrated linux command line. Reporting is extensive but similarly burdened by overcomplication. I still don't know what to switch on to see a useful report of what device is using what connections over time.

2) It's not open source, While I do trust Mikrotik it's hard to fathom what is happening inside. With OpenWrt I can compile myself if needed and I can use my Linux skills to modify the system if I want to. I can't add extra functionality outside what Mikrotik provides.

3) (very minor0 there were some security issues with servers that running unprotected on the router (these have been fixed)

Wcool wrote: »
    Sorry only saw the reply now. While I agree with you that RouterOS has more features out of the box, there are several reasons for me:

1) The obnoxious user hostile interface. I am quite a technical person but I don't want to learn iptable principles for a simple port forward. Every time I want to configure something simple I have to do a DuckDuckGo search to help me get it done. The command line interface is bat**** crazy, some sort of castrated linux command line. Reporting is extensive but similarly burdened by overcomplication. I still don't know what to switch on to see a useful report of what device is using what connections over time.

2) It's not open source, While I do trust Mikrotik it's hard to fathom what is happening inside. With OpenWrt I can compile myself if needed and I can use my Linux skills to modify the system if I want to. I can't add extra functionality outside what Mikrotik provides.

3) (very minor0 there were some security issues with servers that running unprotected on the router (these have been fixed)

I get you, I just thought you were trying to dumb it down :D

Re #1. Use winbox, then the command line will feel intuitive. It runs well in wine
    Re #2. What extra functionality would you need ;)
    Re #3. Yeah I've had a tik at my mams hacked but it was a lesson, I've all mine updated and well locked down now.

I actually have 4 tik devices here on my home network, I have 3 vlans (main, guest and iot) and use cAPs and Capsman for wireless management which is similar to Ubiquiti Unifi but a little harder to configure with less bells and whistles

I would love to investigate if I can create pihole functionality on my router.
    https://pi-hole.net/

And I think wireguard is going to be massive.
    https://www.wireguard.com/

Just imagine how life would become easy if it's just a standard linux box?!

OpenWrt has thousands of packages installable with a few commands or clicks
    https://openwrt.org/packages/start

I never understood why Mikrotik never developed a user friendly interface. With the quality of the hardware and the prices they would blow away most of the competition bar some chinese brands.

Yeah I have pihole running in docker on a server, Can't live without it.
    In fact I'm also using Nextdns on my phone which is pihole in the cloud
    https://www.nextdns.io/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Yeah I have pihole running in docker on a server, Can't live without it.
    In fact I'm also using Nextdns on my phone which is pihole in the cloud
    https://www.nextdns.io/

Pihole great, blocks alot of ads on android apps. You can setup up your own vpn and pihole on google cloud on the free tier...

https://github.com/rajannpatel/Pi-Hole-PiVPN-on-Google-Compute-Engine-Free-Tier-with-Full-Tunnel-and-Split-Tunnel-OpenVPN-Configs

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Pihole great, blocks alot of ads on android apps. You can setup up your own vpn and pihole on google cloud on the free tier...

https://github.com/rajannpatel/Pi-Hole-PiVPN-on-Google-Compute-Engine-Free-Tier-with-Full-Tunnel-and-Split-Tunnel-OpenVPN-Configs

Yeah but always on VPN on Android eats mobile battery. Android pie allows for private DNS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

You don't need to have VPN turned on all the time, only when you need it...The link I attached has been tweaked for mobile device to use lower battery.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    You don't need to have VPN turned on all the time, only when you need it...The link I attached has been tweaked for mobile device to use lower battery.

Yes I have a VPN and pihole at home. It's cumbersome to have to connect a VPN to get adblock out and about which is why I use private DNS instead

@Op, did you get anywhere with this, I'm curious as I have plenty of Mikrotik devices lying about

Not sure if you are referring to flashing router or pihole:

1 Flashing router: no, I don't dare at the moment, I do have backup routers but need to get some time in the weekend just in case of calamity. I also need to put back some tagging of packets so my ISP can see it's his traffic and I am not completely sure how it works and need to know what I am doing first.

2) pihole: yes I have pihole running with DNS over HTTPS enabled on a PI 2. I configured my Mikrotik to use the pihole as DNS server so I it is completely transparent to any device (I didn't have to to change any settings but to the Mikrotik router)

I used this guide for DNS over HTTPS Configuring DNS-Over-HTTPS on Pi-hole
    I quite like the idea of using Google resources to get rid of Google advertising but at the moment I stick to disabling Google wherever i can: basically I don't use Google anymore except LineageOS Android.

• Advertisement
Advertisement