Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irishman set to be deported from the US

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You'd imagine he'll still have to leave. It would take a pretty monumental new precedent set to let him stay. US bend for him it'll be open season on their immigration policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Are we sure this guy was squeaky clean in the USA?
    Immigration tend to turn a blind eye to illegal Irish unless they become 'undesirables'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He’ll be home soon and people can complain about how bold President Trump is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Any sympathy i had is gone out the window after watching the video in full. "this is where i belong" no it isn't he tried to pull a stunt that would have worked had his wife come here with similar convictions. His kids are unfortunate to be caught up in this, they are being used as pawns in his game of chess with the I.C.E. At this stage i say deport him or else give other people around the globe with similar circumstances the same chance in America. Sick of reading it now, why haven't RTE gone to Fermoy and asked the general public what they think on camera? honestly because the majority either don't give a fcuk or they'd rather see him deported, we can't have one rule for everyone else and another for Keith Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Car99 wrote: »
    Why is this on the news ? Do the general public need to know about this. His case is hardly unique. Who does he know to get this much publicity?

He's lucky he got caught while Trump is president and not Obama . Only for the anti Trump media bias this wouldn't make news anywhere.

I wish him and his family the best all the same.

Guessing it's some connected RTE person looking out for their mate/family member at the expense of the tv licence that you could go to prison for not having.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mark25

Any sympathy i had is gone out the window after watching the video in full. "this is where i belong" no it isn't he tried to pull a stunt that would have worked had his wife come here with similar convictions. His kids are unfortunate to be caught up in this, they are being used as pawns in his game of chess with the I.C.E. At this stage i say deport him or else give other people around the globe with similar circumstances the same chance in America. Sick of reading it now, why haven't RTE gone to Fermoy and asked the general public what they think on camera? honestly because the majority either don't give a fcuk or they'd rather see him deported, we can't have one rule for everyone else and another for Keith Byrne.

You know I pretty much agree with this and I do feel sorry for the kids and the family but he took a risk, like I did and fair play but if you get caught you pay the price. I got deported and wasn't happy but I knew that was what could happen.

If he is hoping to stay I don't know if being so high profile is goingto help. He might think it helps get support over here but it is the American system he is up against and I don't think being so high profile and trying to stay with (minor) drug convictions because he married an American will be a message they want to have out there.

Like the poster above I was wondering if anything else happened over there. I only got "picked up" because I was arrested and I only heard of one other guy getting deported and that was after he was arrested too.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

On one hand he says he doesn't want to leave his life in the states and then complains he hasn't seen his parents in 12 years. Really don't why this story is still getting coverage. Open and shut case as said before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He’ll be home soon and people can complain about how bold President Trump is.

RTE will meet him at Dublin Airport and ask him whoy he didn't have the full documentation so to speak. Any word or illegal immigrant will be replaced with him being a poor undocumented so to speak.

RTE will meet him at Dublin Airport and ask him whoy he didn't have the full documentation so to speak. Any word or illegal immigrant will be replaced with him being a poor undocumented so to speak.

Rte won’t ask him any such thing. They’ll portray him as a victim of Trumps policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I've heard two interviews and the self entitlement and arrogance from this guy is staggering. He overstayed his visa yet says he didn't break any laws over there. If he hasn't seen his parents in years it's all of his own doing. I hope he gets ****ed out on his arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

How was he able to apply for legal status while over there?

How is it possible you can enter a country illegally and then apply later on? Just makes no sense.

Is it true he was refused because of his minor drug convictions here or is it just that he was illegal and that's why it was refused?

How is it possible you can enter a country illegally and then apply later on? Just makes no sense.

Is it true he was refused because of his minor drug convictions here or is it just that he was illegal and that's why it was refused?

The drug convictions appear to be the main reason for refusal, the overstaying of his visa was probably second to that. I'm still laughing at his father calling for the convictions to be withdrawn as if the case never existed. the sooner he is deported the better, there are more news worthy stories out there not getting coverage because of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This guy was on red fm a few minutes ago - he said he’s not illegal...and then in the next breath says he’s in the process of getting all that sorted....so, you ARE illegal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

On a personal level, I feel sorry for him and his family on the other hand despite the fact that I beliven in decriminalising drugs it good that it is reflected that his choices in life when he was young had serious consequences for him in later life.

If reading about or seeing his case make someone hesitate about doing something that may get them a criminal conviction then its a good thing.

All choices in life have consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mariaalice wrote:
    If reading about or seeing his case make someone hesitate about doing something that may get them a criminal conviction then its a good.

The young mind has a tendency not to care about the older mind, so I can't see it preventing wrong doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That happens all the time in Ireland.

Failed AS are given "leave to remain".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The young mind has a tendency not to care about the older mind, so I can't see it preventing wrong doing

It dose because they fall in to two categories (1) one could not care less and will do it anyway (2) hesitant and could go either way its the second category that hearing about something like this case has an effect on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mariaalice wrote:
    It dose because they fall in to two categories (1) one could not care less and will do it anyway (2) hesitant and could go either way its the second category that hearing about something like this case has an effect on.

Some young minds simply do not think of consequence, treats of possible legal action simply won't work, I know somebody who ended up in a similar situation in America years ago, this outcome was not thought about at the time, thankfully its sorted now, threats of legal action, don't always work

The drug convictions appear to be the main reason for refusal, the overstaying of his visa was probably second to that. I'm still laughing at his father calling for the convictions to be withdrawn as if the case never existed. the sooner he is deported the better, there are more news worthy stories out there not getting coverage because of him.

The fact he lied about his drugs conviction to get on the visa waiver programme will be the biggest issue. That is a federal offense with a max penalty of 10 years imprisonment.

The fact he lied about his drugs conviction to get on the visa waiver programme will be the biggest issue. That is a federal offense with a max penalty of 10 years imprisonment.

I didn’t know he did that. That makes it ten times worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

We know nothing about this guy really only he is after being targeted by ICE for some reason and he was convicted of drug offences here in Ireland, anyone know how much drugs he was caught with (twice) or if he had any previous charges dealt with more leniently by the courts which wouldn't be unusual.

When his wife went to the press with the story that he has been locked up in prison, has no access to drinking water and can't see (because he has no contact lenses) I kind of thought how could any professional journalist print this rubbish?

It is getting more embarrassing by the day, the press interest in this story is unprecedented and the way the press are making him out to be a victim is scandalous.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

We know nothing about this guy really only he is after being targeted by ICE for some reason and he was convicted of drug offences here in Ireland, anyone know how much drugs he was caught with (twice) or if he had any previous charges dealt with more leniently by the courts which wouldn't be unusual.

When his wife went to the press with the story that he has been locked up in prison, has no access to drinking water and can't see (because he has no contact lenses) I kind of thought how could any professional journalist print this rubbish?

It is getting more embarrassing by the day, the press interest in this story is unprecedented and the way the press are making him out to be a victim is scandalous.

It was mentioned on the Neil Prendeville Show on RedFM in Cork when this first came to public attention that someone may have grassed him up.

His record here is 2 convictions for personal possession, he was fined in both instances and paid the fines, they date back to roughly 2005 based on what he said to RTE so the convictions were 2 years old when he went to the states/met the future wife etc. 2 years here is still considered fresh and for such a conviction you would be deemed high risk of another, let alone in the states, it's worth noting that for the first 3 offences of personal use it is a non custodial fine only.

It was mentioned on the Neil Prendeville Show on RedFM in Cork when this first came to public attention that someone may have grassed him up.

His record here is 2 convictions for personal possession, he was fined in both instances and paid the fines, they date back to roughly 2005 based on what he said to RTE so the convictions were 2 years old when he went to the states/met the future wife etc. 2 years here is still considered fresh and for such a conviction you would be deemed high risk of another, let alone in the states, it's worth noting that for the first 3 offences of personal use it is a non custodial fine only.

I find it hard to trust anything this guy or his wife say to the press.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I find it hard to trust anything this guy or his wife say to the press.

He probably met his wife on plenty of fish.com while here hence he travelled over and they’ve made up a fictitious story and the rest is history? Him soon to be included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Wow, the level of nastiness on this thread is surprisingly high.
    Given the guy has a US wife and kids, it seems a net negative to deport him at this point.
    Some weight should be given to the massive impact it will have on his wife and kids whom are both US citizens.
    Without the drug possession convictions, he would have been able to adjust his status to a legal status after he married a US citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

It is very strange that his previous in Ireland hasn’t come out. With all of the furore over this you’d think it would be public knowledge considering how “small time” it was?

vetinari wrote: »
    Given the guy has a US wife and kids, it seems a net negative to deport him at this point.
    Some weight should be given to the massive impact it will have on his wife and kids whom are both US citizens.
    Without the drug possession convictions, he would have been able to adjust his status to a legal status after he married a US citizen.

That’s no one else’s fault but his own.,

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Why should he get special treatment over many more from third world countries who have families there and are deported without hesitation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

That’s no one else’s fault but his own.,

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that statement.
    You can have empathy with someone and still think that they are at fault.
    Some very simplistic thinking in this thread.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that statement.
    You can have empathy with someone and still think that they are at fault.
    Some very simplistic thinking in this thread.

He knew he had two drug convictions. He chose to lie about them to enter the US. It is that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why should he get special treatment over many more from third world countries who have families there and are deported without hesitation?

Because he's white, he can use media and lobby groups and well able to afford a decent legal team. That's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

give the bleeding hearts club a rest

he should be turfed out for being a dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.96fm.ie/news/keith-byrne-deportation-order-frozen/
    Cork man Keith Byrne has had his deportation order frozen and is to be released from prison following an order by a United States federal judge
    Mr Byrne's immigration lawyer Thomas Griffin says Keith's immigration battle is not over yet, but for now he is free to work and live in the United States

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/keith-byrne-reunited-with-family-after-release-from-us-prison-1.3967224
    Lawyers representing Mr Byrne had filed a petition for a writ of habeas corpus in the federal court in Harrisburg.
    According to a court order, issued by Chief Judge Christopher Conner, Mr Byrne will be temporarily released for a period of 30 days to allow him to seek judicial review of the decision to deny him legal status in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

This is the first time I read about this…

'In 2007, Keith was a 25-year-old from Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland who wanted to visit cousins living in America.

He did so thanks to a visa waiver program that enables visitors to stay for 90 days if they agree to sign away rights to contest deportation should they overstay their welcome.'

That’s some crappy business now since he takes no responsibility for this past action.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    This is the first time I read about this…

'In 2007, Keith was a 25-year-old from Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland who wanted to visit cousins living in America.

He did so thanks to a visa waiver program that enables visitors to stay for 90 days if they agree to sign away rights to contest deportation should they overstay their welcome.'

That’s some crappy business now since he takes no responsibility for this past action.

That’s been brought up throughout the thread. As was the fact that he lied to obtain travel on the visa waiver scheme, you can’t travel on it if you have had any convictions.

you can’t travel on it if you have had any convictions.

The footballer Joey Barton was over there a few years ago on holidays while he team were training, he wasn’t allowed work but still got in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

The footballer Joey Barton was over there a few years ago on holidays while he team were training, he wasn’t allowed work but still got in

Presumably he had to get a visa, and couldn't avail of the ESTA visa waiver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Presumably he had to get a visa, and couldn't avail of the ESTA visa waiver.

Exactly, you can submit an application to the U.S embassy for a visa if your ESTA application is rejected or you think it's a waste of time as you know it will be rejected.

He wasn’t allowed to over with Rangers* and I found the link regarding his time with Newcastle

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-14134851

He wasn’t allowed to over with Rangers* and I found the link regarding his time with Newcastle

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-14134851

Yeah he was in L.A the month before maybe that’s where I got it from.

Last paragraph in the article definitely has Keith Byrne all over it
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-14140240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Has any news outlet asked Keith about why he lied on his ESTA and didn't apply for a holiday visa?

tuxy wrote: »
    Has any news outlet asked Keith about why he lied on his ESTA and didn't apply for a holiday visa?

Can’t be having that now can we, he is Irish after all not Mexican.

All jokes aside I never heard it mentioned only that he declared everything for his green card application.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Third Circuit recently ruled on a fairly similar case involving an Indian chap.

He kind of got himself in trouble with the mob in India, working as a police informant. He decided to scarper to save himself and his family, entered the US on a tourist visa, and then hung out the next 20 years in the US, staying well out of trouble.

The former rickshaw driver ended up running a successful business in the US, and has now two US citizen children, one in college, one of whom needs medication. He was picked up by police after being pulled over for a broken tail light.

Suffice to say, he lost in front of the immigration judge, he lost at the immigration appeals board, and he lost at the Circuit court. The full opinion is here. https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/183480p.pdf

I don’t think the Irish guy’s going to win, on that precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The Third Circuit recently ruled on a fairly similar case involving an Indian chap.

He kind of got himself in trouble with the mob in India, working as a police informant. He decided to scarper to save himself and his family, entered the US on a tourist visa, and then hung out the next 20 years in the US, staying well out of trouble.

The former rickshaw driver ended up running a successful business in the US, and has now two US citizen children, one in college, one of whom needs medication. He was picked up by police after being pulled over for a broken tail light.

Suffice to say, he lost in front of the immigration judge, he lost at the immigration appeals board, and he lost at the Circuit court. The full opinion is here. https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/183480p.pdf

I don’t think the Irish guy’s going to win, on that precedent.

Yeah, but that guy isn’t Irish. Everyone knows Paddy should be allowed come and go from America. Sure didn’t we build it in the first place.

Check out the latest on this; he's embarrassed for both the Irish and American governments and one of his legal team is comparing him to John Lennon.

Oh yeah he has post traumatic stress as well.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/corkman-facing-deportation-from-us-embarrassed-for-the-government-942435.html

Check out the latest on this; he's embarrassed for both the Irish and American governments and one of his legal team is comparing him to John Lennon.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/corkman-facing-deportation-from-us-embarrassed-for-the-government-942435.html

Seen that, he's comparing himself to John Lennon in regards the personal possession charges, surely be to god he won't get off on that? As a fellow Cork man i am embarrassed to be from the same county as him. The sooner he's deported the better, initially i had sympathy but the longer this goes on the more he keeps digging, and not with a shovel either, with a bloody excavator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Post traumatic stress my foot. Enters the United States on a false premise. Works there illegally. Gets married knowing he can't legally reside there. Gets pulled up by the authorities. Drags every and their mother into a fight to stay in the U.S. when he has to face the consequences of his actions. Grow up man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He's making himself sound like a right bell end.

That's what he should be embarrassed about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement