Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irishman set to be deported from the US

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

RTE have this as the headline on the 6pm news, Jesus wept.

“Trump rolls up sleeves to get ready to throw much loved Irish man and adorable family out of the country in racist fit of temper! Democrats promise to return him and make him a congressman!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People like him annoy me, they put the rest of us at risk of being refused visas because he decided he was going to abuse his.

Absolutely no sympathy for him or any like him who chose to illegally stay in a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

People like him annoy me, they put the rest of us at risk of being refused visas because he decided he was going to abuse his.

Absolutely no sympathy for him or any like him who chose to illegally stay in a country.

He was working with officials to change his status.
    Nothing more he could have done. Weird they locked him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

splinter65 wrote: »
    This is what I’m talking about right here. If he didn’t want to come back here he could have gone to any other country.
    Breaking the law especially if your putting your whole family’s welfare at risk is never ever “understandable”.

Is moving them to Ireland equivalent to putting their welfare at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

kneemos wrote: »

He broke the law. What would you suggest? Just let him go?

He could have left when he said he would.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Is moving them to Ireland equivalent to putting their welfare at risk?

No. Staying illegally in the US put their welfare at risk

splinter65 wrote: »
    No. Staying illegally in the US put their welfare at risk

Against the balance of historical probabilies they get deported to Ireland and continue family life here. Many are now coming back voluntarily anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Im sure his wife and stepchild will soon be proud owners of brand new irish passports.

Im sure his wife and stepchild will soon be proud owners of brand new irish passports.

You just need to sell it to the kids. The wife knew the risk.

• Advertisement

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Against the balance of historical probabilies they get deported to Ireland and continue family life here. Many are now coming back voluntarily anyway.

seems the wife has a kid from another relationship so she cant move him easily.

Tough, but rules are rules , of course the Irish think the rules are for the Mexicans , not for them

I wish Ireland was as efficient at chucking out people who have no right to live here

Of course the Irish Times and RTE with their looney leftie mentality will have sobbing wife etc all over their broadcasts for days/weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The wife of an Irishman facing deportation from the United States says his arrest came without warning.

... their applications have been turned down on numerous occasions.
    The most recent refusal came earlier this year but Mrs Byrne said they had "no intention of accepting that".
    It kinda sounds like he got ample warning.
    Not that a warning is needed, he knew he was there illegally.

seems the wife has a kid from another relationship so she cant move him easily.

Tough, but rules are rules , of course the Irish think the rules are for the Mexicans , not for them

I wish Ireland was as efficient at chucking out people who have no right to live here

Of course the Irish Times and RTE with their looney leftie mentality will have sobbing wife etc all over their broadcasts for days/weeks

Not that efficient. They've been married for ten years.

Also if they're going to send him home why not drive him to the airport rather than prison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

These cases are click bait for the papers, of course he is not deserving of sympathy, no one can argue he didn’t put himself in this mess. It’s not like he thought he was not breaking the law, he 100% knew he was.

I don't think that's going to make a lot of sifference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

interesting to read about this once

the signs that the irish times is going to make it one of their tedious campaigns is pain-inducing

Thankfully they don’t have much influence over President Trump and ICE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Joe Duffy up next.

Bob24 wrote: »
    ESTA didn’t exist when he entered in 2007. Fair question however, even without ETSA he would have had to fill out an arrival form at the airport with questions about convictions in other jurisdiction and a commitment to provide truthful information.

He used a ‘visa waiver program’, so whatever the ESTA predecessor was called. He didn’t have a visa.

• Advertisement

Some sense of entitlement from the wife - “no intention of accepting that” regarding his latest refusal.

Only one article I have read has mentioned his overstay as one of the reasons his applications were rejected. But most articles are blaming it solely on the marijuana for sympathy with their target demographic, but intentionally ignoring the primary reason - the overstay.

He broke the cardinal rule by overstaying. Had he left as expected and applied through the proper channels he would likely be there legally now.

He broke the cardinal rule by overstaying. Had he left as expected and applied through the proper channels he would likely be there legally now.
    Not really.It's very hard to emigrate to the US unless with work.

Not really.It's very hard to emigrate to the US unless with work.

And even harder if you overstay before applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In fairness, this guy is going to be deported to one of the wealthiest countries in the world, it's hardly the worst thing that could happen.

There will be no issue for his family joining him here either. Yeah, it's not exactly what he wants, but this is the risk you take when you overstay in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I started a thread when I saw this as the headline story on RTE 1 news at 6. I had no idea of this threads existence but I am very happy to have found it and to read the opinions of others.

How in the name of God this story can be considered worthy of being the main news in Ireland today is just beyond me.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I started a thread when I saw this as the headline story on RTE 1 news at 6. I had no idea of this threads existence but I am very happy to have found it and to read the opinions of others.

How in the name of God this story can be considered worthy of being the main news in Ireland today is just beyond me.

It's a particularly slow Sunday in silly season. Expect more non newsworthy stores filling the airwaves in the coming weeks

Still beats Brexit.

In fairness, this guy is going to be deported to one of the wealthiest countries in the world, it's hardly the worst thing that could happen.

There will be no issue for his family joining him here either. Yeah, it's not exactly what he wants, but this is the risk you take when you overstay in the States.
    Yeah exactly. Way more sympathy for people to be deportated to poor countries.

The argument that's made that he made his life there doesn't realy justify it because he shouldn't have had kids there or bought a house if he was illegal.

What did he expect. You are not emigrating legally with two convictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Still beats Brexit.

I'd listen to your man's whinging wife all day and night instead of Brexit!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

She’d have to be living here with him for 3 years before she’d be considered for citizenship which will cost them €1000+
    That’ll take another 6 months and then she can make enquiries about her child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

I'm divided on this issue.

On one side, America is the land of second chances. He has established himself, and is contributing to society. I think that people like this gentleman should be allowed an opportunity to stay in America, especially in light of his circumstances.

At the same time, he is a criminal and he has broken the law. He has no legal right to be in the country. He is not playing by the rules, so on balance should be deported.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Most of the knee jerkers will blame Trumps policy's but if your man was Nigerian and arguing his case to stay in Ireland they would say chuck him and the family out.

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    I'm divided on this issue.

On one side, America is the land of second chances. He has established himself, and is contributing to society. I think that people like this gentleman should be allowed an opportunity to stay in America, especially in light of his circumstances.

At the same time, he is a criminal and he has broken the law. He has no legal right to be in the country. He is not playing by the rules, so on balance should be deported.

I would agree with this. It is conflicting. It's a serious flaw that he was allowed to obtain a social security number, buy a home, register his own business etc all while working through appeals with ICE and then they just arrest him on his way to work on a random day.

They knew where he was all along and he has been engaging with authorities for ten years. Why now?

While he did break the law and has to face the consequences, I think it highlights wider issues within the system past this particular case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The top story on the 9pm news is this guy who deliberately broke the law having the appropriate sanction imposed.
    They referred to his wife by her first name, clearly taking her side and gave advice on what people should do if they are concerned. Unprofessional reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The top story on the 9pm news is this guy who deliberately broke the law having the appropriate sanction imposed.
    They referred to his wife by her first name, clearly taking her side and gave advice on what people should do if they are concerned. Unprofessional reporting.
    No it's human interest and public service in terms of what people should do.
    They are not telling you what to think.

Despite what you think, all human beings actually do have rights. They are advising against letting anyone raid your home without a judge-issued warrant. The announcement of raids is open season for opportunist home robberies etc. It's basic safety advice.

Despite what you think, all human beings actually do have rights. They are advising against letting anyone raid your home without a judge-issued warrant. The announcement of raids is open season for opportunist home robberies etc. It's basic safety advice.

Did they advise people not to break immigration laws as there maybe serious consequences ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Asitis2019 wrote: »

On one side, America is the land of second chances.

How so? People in America can get very lengthy sentences for minor criminal offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If every Irish person was as cavelier with US immigration law (i.e overstaying) there would be the very real possibility of the US withdrawing Ireland's access to the visa waiver program (or ESTA) - and back to the days of visa interviews for all who wish to go to Disneyland with their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good point the and very few airports around the world have pre-clearance for the USA. It comes in very handy we shouldn't take it for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Limpy wrote: »
    Most of the knee jerkers will blame Trumps policy's but if your man was Nigerian and arguing his case to stay in Ireland they would say chuck him and the family out.

To be fair allot of the people who would like to see this guy get a pass would also like to see economic migrants coming to Ireland be afforded the same courtesy.

Its actually a common debating tactic used when anyone complains about economic migrants taking the piss here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

ruhXcR8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Another example of RTE peddling their hard-left agenda - they really are a despicable broadcaster. I wish they could be held to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

"Tough, but rules are rules , of course the Irish think the rules are for the Mexicans , not for them "

Great point, and true. I once heard a guy on Joe Duffy whinging that he couldn't get to his brothers funeral in Ireland as he was illegally in the States and if he left he wouldn't get back in. In the nect breath he said "the place is overrun with the Spanish" (he meant latinos but was unable to differentiate....)

I couldn't believe his ignorance- he really believed he was "better" than the Latino illegals.

The guy on the news is an illegal alien. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

RTE have this as the headline on the 6pm news, Jesus wept.

RTE are massively left leaning so they will virtue signal the hell out of this story. If Obama was President it wouldn't be on their agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cute hoor Irish boy thinks laws don't apply to him shocker.
    In fairness he isn't being deported to a war torn country.
    Boo hoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE are massively left leaning so they will virtue signal the hell out of this story. If Obama was President it wouldn't be on their agenda.

Or his handlings at the border being much more than Trump or Clinton getting blowies from an intern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Truly odd that this is the main news on RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Next we will have the bleeding heart Healy-Raes writing to Trump to spare him.

Advertisement