Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda recycling centre no longer taking wood!?

• 14-07-2019 1:25am

What a joke this place is. :rolleyes:

Arrived in today, after paying my €4 in, and see the big bins you throw wood into are gone, with big signs up saying 'As of July 1st, we no longer accept wood temporarily'.

I presumed temporarily meant they'd perhaps had an issue somewhere along the way and had to stop taking wood for a couple of weeks until some issue was sorted, but noticed a few people chucking wood into a 'temporary' bin near the office.

Asked one of the chaps that worked there what the story was, and he told me that commercial users can not dump wood there at all (seems a bit silly? but I'm not commercial, so doesn't affect me) and that I can use the temporary bin, but not to bring anymore wood down as they will be permanently turning it away from today on.

I disposed of the wood I had, but I'm still bewildered and mildly angered about this. Why in the name of jaysus would a recycling centre (subsidised, I believe, by the Council?) stop accepting, of all things, wood!?

In opposite-land, Swords, up the road, will even take rubble and old stone off you (for a fee).

Now we'll have an extra load of old wooden furniture, beds and tables, etc. being fire out onto the green areas for Halloween. :rolleyes:

I posted this on Facebook, moaning, and within 20 minutes had two people messaging me offering to get rid of any wood I have. Got the impression it'd be on it's way to the side of the road somewhere.

No mention of wood not being allowed on their website either. Still says you can bring it down. Shambles of an effort.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Sadly its easier to just dump it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

What a joke this place is. :rolleyes:

Arrived in today, after paying my €4 in, and see the big bins you throw wood into are gone, with big signs up saying 'As of July 1st, we no longer accept wood temporarily'.

I presumed temporarily meant they'd perhaps had an issue somewhere along the way and had to stop taking wood for a couple of weeks until some issue was sorted, but noticed a few people chucking wood into a 'temporary' bin near the office.

Asked one of the chaps that worked there what the story was, and he told me that commercial users can not dump wood there at all (seems a bit silly? but I'm not commercial, so doesn't affect me) and that I can use the temporary bin, but not to bring anymore wood down as they will be permanently turning it away from today on.

I disposed of the wood I had, but I'm still bewildered and mildly angered about this. Why in the name of jaysus would a recycling centre (subsidised, I believe, by the Council?) stop accepting, of all things, wood!?

In opposite-land, Swords, up the road, will even take rubble and old stone off you (for a fee).

Now we'll have an extra load of old wooden furniture, beds and tables, etc. being fire out onto the green areas for Halloween. :rolleyes:

I posted this on Facebook, moaning, and within 20 minutes had two people messaging me offering to get rid of any wood I have. Got the impression it'd be on it's way to the side of the road somewhere.

No mention of wood not being allowed on their website either. Still says you can bring it down. Shambles of an effort.

Went to the recycling center in Dundalk last week, same sign posted that they no longer accept wood.

Said it was something to do with the machine being out of service...

All I had to get rid of was wood, put it into the temporary bin but I'd say that was probably just dumped into general waste!

We seem to be going backwards with making it easy to recycle, like ecological removing the small glass bin and charging for a big one! I know it's a small charge, but for the amount of glass we use it's not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭positron

VW recycling also don't accept a lot of the things other recycling centers around the country takes - used motor oil for instance. Paint, or even empty paint tins. Also MDF. Large items like mattresses etc. I never understood why they operate such a well equipped facility, and yet don't actually offer the full services.

positron wrote: »
    VW recycling also don't accept a lot of the things other recycling centers around the country takes - used motor oil for instance. Paint, or even empty paint tins. Also MDF. Large items like mattresses etc. I never understood why they operate such a well equipped facility, and yet don't actually offer the full services.

Probably depends on "who is on" there. We definitely got rid of 3 or 4 tins of paint there this time last year.

My memory is a little vague though but I recall them not taking some things last year just not sure what. Could have been clippings or wood that time but there was definitely a slot closed there at the time along the left on the way back out.

Got caught out in Dundalk the same way. Only had a couple of little bits but it was the whole reason we went. Woman was dead on and let us throw it in the temporary bin at least.

• Advertisement

Was back in Drogheda yesterday and they still had the temporary bin.

Maybe it was just explained to me badly (or wrongly), and it is just a temporary thing and maybe it'll be back to normal sooner than later.

The thought of a recycling centre not taking wood, does indeed seem ridiculous, so maybe i got it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Was up there on Saturday, had wood to get rid of, seen the sign, ended up bring it home, rang this morning just to ask when would they be taking wood, said she did'nt know, got the impression that will not be taking it anymore, Dundalk is not taking it either, told me Navan might be taking it but I would want to ring first, as someone else said it's a joke, what will be next, it would be one of the biggest things to be recycled, a long with metal, grass, etc etc, what's going to be next, and probably come the new year the price will rise to enter. , More dumping at the side of the road,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Is this 'wood' as in timber (planks, old furniture, etc) or wood as in hedge trimmings etc, or both?

Regardless, it's absurd to not accept either!

In the long run this will take a lot of business from the place and will result in a larger subsidy.

Advertisement