Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TGD L ACD - AT line outside single leaf?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: can you reference the exact detail to which you ref in the ACD from the list on the second page.

What role(s) do you see the A/T layer fulfilling?

My view it that it acts as a moisture penetration barrier, which reduces the amount of moisture that can reach the dew-point in the wall?

perhaps I am wrong

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

1: can you reference the exact detail to which you ref in the ACD from the list on the second page.

The blue line in the diagram below.

edit: wait, I've realised that there is no blue line on the wall, only the floor. Does this mean there is no approved detail for wall air tightness in this solid+EWI construction?
    What role(s) do you see the A/T layer fulfilling?

My view it that it acts as a moisture penetration barrier, which reduces the amount of moisture that can reach the dew-point in the wall?

I agree. But for this build up (all insulation external) the dew point is surely going to be in the EWI layer.

So an AT layer on the outside of the block would fulfill that requirement, and seems easier w.r.t junctions and penetrations than doing it on the inside.

Screenshot-from-2019-07-14-12-02-28.png

So how will u have continuity with floor and ceiling?
    My test is to draw a pencil along the a/t layer on the section drawings...
    You need to do wufi calcs to see where the DP will be

So how will u have continuity with floor and ceiling?
    My test is to draw a pencil along the a/t layer on the section drawings...
    You need to do wufi calcs to see where the DP will be

Ah, that's a good point. I guess you could apply an air tight paint to the top face of a course of blocks e.g. at DPC level or even below, and join up with the floor AT layer, and then do similar at the top of the wall.

The obvious advantage seems to be that you can then chase whatever services you like into the internal face of the wall without worrying about compromising the AT layer.

Lumen wrote: »
    Ah, that's a good point. I guess you could apply an air tight paint to the top face of a course of blocks e.g. at DPC level or even below, and join up with the floor AT layer, and then do similar at the top of the wall.

The obvious advantage seems to be that you can then chase whatever services you like into the internal face of the wall without worrying about compromising the AT layer.

I spec a service cavity where possible.
    SAS here did the chasing option on a near PH and the smoke test showed where the back of a few sockets were not made airtight, something that would have bee hard to find without the smoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

I´d say there´s an important detail pointed out wrong in the drawing. Normally you have the radon barrier either underneath your subfloor or between your subfloor and finishing floor. This barrier acts as air tight layer for the ground. If you do not have the radon barrier, there should be at least a heavy gauge builders film, which does the same.
    To continue the air tightness layer at the floor to wall junction on ground level, you just need to connect the radon/ builders film with your air tightness layer at the walls (mostly plaster). The most buildings nowadays have the radon membrane raised above the first block on the building envelope and I advise in this case to seal the envelope area from the (raised) radon barrier approx. 50mm further up the finishing floor level. I recommend air tight paint for this detail, because it can be easily applied by almost anyone.

As a side note: WUFI for a basic detail in a block built structure = taking a sledge hammer for cracking a nut (my personal oppinion).

Wartburg wrote: »
    1:
    I´d say there´s an important detail pointed out wrong in the drawing. Normally you have the radon barrier either underneath your subfloor or between your subfloor and finishing floor. This barrier acts as air tight layer for the ground. If you do not have the radon barrier, there should be at least a heavy gauge builders film, which does the same.
    To continue the air tightness layer at the floor to wall junction on ground level, you just need to connect the radon/ builders film with your air tightness layer at the walls (mostly plaster). The most buildings nowadays have the radon membrane raised above the first block on the building envelope and I advise in this case to seal the envelope area from the (raised) radon barrier approx. 50mm further up the finishing floor level. I recommend air tight paint for this detail, because it can be easily applied by almost anyone.

2: As a side note: WUFI for a basic detail in a block built structure = taking a sledge hammer for cracking a nut (my personal oppinion).

1: That won't be an ACD then
    2: Fools and horses etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

1: That won't be an ACD then

It´s pointless to discuss about ACD as long as the most common building strategies here in Ireland consist of components like concrete blocks, cavity wall and loose DPC layers (as a pretended strategy against dampness).

Wartburg wrote: »
    It´s pointless to discuss about ACD as long as the most common building strategies here in Ireland consist of components like concrete blocks, cavity wall and loose DPC layers (as a pretended strategy against dampness).

Well, except this thread specifically is trying to make sense of the ACD in the TGD, so it's a reasonable point. Although the ACD doesn't seem to make sense even on its own terms because they seem to have omiitted the air tightness detail from the wall. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    Well, except this thread specifically is trying to make sense of the ACD in the TGD, so it's a reasonable point. Although the ACD doesn't seem to make sense even on its own terms because they seem to have omitted the air tightness detail from the wall. :D
    I have put him on my ignore list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement