Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin needs a proper clean up regularly

Options
  • 14-07-2019 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Why is this city so damn dirty? Every morning fresh broken glass, rubbish and bad smells...never see any council employees out and about tidying up the city before mid-afternoon then i only see a small number driving in the sweeping truck....always see this in other european cities in the early morning...cities need to be looked after...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Michelin wrote: »
    Why is this city so damn dirty? Every morning fresh broken glass, rubbish and bad smells...never see any council employees out and about tidying up the city before mid-afternoon then i only see a small number driving in the sweeping truck....always see this in other european cities in the early morning...cities need to be looked after...

You're not up early enough. I'm on the road most mornings between 6 and 6.15 and the council lads are emptying bins and sweeping up. I meet the same Dyna pick up every morning on the kimmage road with the lad doing the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

mfceiling wrote: »
    You're not up early enough. I'm on the road most mornings between 6 and 6.15 and the council lads are emptying bins and sweeping up. I meet the same Dyna pick up every morning on the kimmage road with the lad doing the bins.

They need those fella's in the city centre...cos it aint happening there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To be fair, the finger pointing should be on those making the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They need those fella's in the city centre...cos it aint happening there

But they are there. Walk around the city centre between 6 and 7 and you'll see these guys at work. It's the scummers who seem to think that they can throw their rubbish on to the ground and that someone else will pick it up that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,594 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They just need to make an example of people over a month or so before sense prevails, start fining people 10% of their annual income/dole per incident and it will clear up pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Sweeping isn’t enough the streets need to be washed on a regular basis.

I get off the bus on O’Connell st and usually walk to Dame st the absolute state of the streets is frankly disgusting.
    Large gunky stains everywhere that are sticky when walked on!

In high tourist season there should be an army of street cleaners keeping the city looking it’s best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I always see the street cleaners out at 7am walking up and down the pavements, collecting bins and replacing bags and even using disinfectant on various alleyways. Usually in the evenings I spot them again picking up abandoned bags etc. Every Saturday morning there is a group that walk my area and pick up litter and the council colllect it.

The council are doing a great job, but the are seriously outnumbered by filthy people

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

technocrat wrote: »
    Sweeping isn’t enough the streets need to be washed on a regular basis.

Agree with this, in other countries on the continent you see lads out power washing the pavements in the early hours. Here it doesnt seem to get done at all and those street sweeping machines do nothing for actually cleaning the pavements.. Same goes for the buildings, especially along Dame St- look up and you'll see they are caked in years of road dust and grime because they're never properly power washed. The council should really be taking city centre landlords to task on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Our city won't be clean until sanitation is privatized. Sorry but DCC have never been able to handle it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 happinessfr

I saw council lads every morning emptying the bins also, it's not true when you said they didn't do their jobs.

I have seen numerous times uncivilized people litter anywhere they want, they need to be 'educated'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

To be fair, the finger pointing should be on those making the mess.

Absolutely.

I see this grown woman on a bus in the morning. Instead of taking her morning coffee up off with her, she just leaves it on the floor and lets the remnants spill on the floor and stuffs her rubbish between the seat and the wall of the buss.

So many people are just filthy nit-bags and they condemn the rest of us to live in their filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The bins themselves are actually filthy and never wiped down. Nobody managing this. I reported an overflowing ashtray attached to the side if the bin. Instead of simply routinely emptying the dam thing, they removed it. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Mostly because the work is now done by incredibly inefficient machines rather than fellas with sweeping brushes and pushcarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I like cycling around the city to see how all the construction developments are coming along and it is such a state, some streets are okay at best but any side street or slightly less used alley/side street is covered in piss and strewn with rubbish and litter and big overflowing boxes and cans of rubbish all over, and smells like utter ****

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Maldesu wrote: »

The council are doing a great job, but the are seriously outnumbered by filthy people

Imagine people claiming SW for over say 2 years had to assist council works/voluntary work for a few hours a week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Imagine people claiming SW for over say 2 years had to assist council works/voluntary work for a few hours a week...

Never going to happen here. I proposed something similar and was told people on SW aspire to much more than that, even when I suggested long term recipients should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Yeah, i'm sure it may act as a deterrent or motivation to get a job, those that a just claiming because they can and able for a job but just don't really want to look for one.

And, we should get money back on recyclables - like in Germany. This gypsy woman was just waiting until I was finished my bottle of coke. I gave it to her and she was happy. There was no rubbish on the streets. The homeless collected it up. Gives the homeless a sense of purpose and achievement as well as earning some money and presumably has them begging less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Never going to happen here. I proposed something similar and was told people on SW aspire to much more than that, even when I suggested long term recipients should help.
    Never say never!

We have a local CE scheme with 20 long term job seekers doing general work: litter, gardening, hedge maintenance etc. which is run by our local Community Council in conjunction with Fingal and the DSP. The problem is that you need motivated local individuals/organisations to take the lead for this to get done.

Advertisement