Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France: Stage 9 - Saint-Etienne to Brioude 170.5KM

Options
  • 14-07-2019 1:38pm

Hilly one today. Nico Roche in a promising break with 120km to go :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Very strong break today ...looks like they will make it

Daryl Impey & Eddy Boss will want a sprint as they can win that

Styven, Naesen ,Clarke, Martin will want a late attack out of the break on or before the final descent

The climbers like Soler ,Benoot will have to go earlier to drop the fast men

So may different types of riders it could be a fantastic finale and some one least expected could win
    Breakaways are a bit of a lottery unless its Thomas de Gendt

My money is on Soler to win from an attack on the last climb. Would love to see Roche pull it off though, but plenty of competition for him in the breakaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Interesting start to the stage and a strong break has formed with a 10 minute lead. De Marchi is out with a very nasty crash and Rui Costa was screwed over getting into the break and as returned to the peloton
    1|#17|PöSTLBERGER Lukas |+1:18:38
    2|#37|NAESEN Oliver |+1:01:46
    3|#45|GARCíA CORTINA Iván |+1:11:59
    4|#48|TRATNIK Jan |+49:32
    5|#67|SOLER Marc| +24:25
    6|#86|MARTIN Tony |+1:28:20
    7|#93|CLARKE Simon| +46:22
    8|#105|IMPEY Daryl| +37:33
    9|#138|STUYVEN Jasper |+34:20
    10|#148|ROCHE Nicolas |+23:14
    11|#154|HERRADA Jesús| +24:03
    12|#162|BENOOT Tiesj |+43:25
    13|#175|SICARD Romain| +52:17
    14|#201|BOASSON HAGEN Edvald |+41:09
    15|#213|DELAPLACE Anthony| +1:10:04

The break will probably make it to the stage end but i would have 4 or 5 riders ahead of nico to win from the breakaway

Ha the Quickstep lads laughing and shaking their heads at Costa.

Team Prize Money so far, with Bardet not showing great form so far Naesen may need to perform from the breakaway to get something for AG2R
    # |Team |Amount
    1|Team Jumbo-Visma|53260
    2|Lotto Soudal|44980
    3|Deceuninck - Quick Step|34710
    4|BORA - hansgrohe|30240
    5|Trek - Segafredo|25630
    6|Bahrain Merida|23050
    7|Wanty - Gobert Cycling Team|15360
    8|Team Sunweb |11510
    9|Groupama - FDJ|11200
    10|Team INEOS|10130
    11|CCC Team|9370
    12|UAE-Team Emirates|7610
    13|Cofidis, Solutions Crédits|6620
    14|Mitchelton-Scott|6610
    15|Team Dimension Data|5020
    16|EF Education First|4330
    17|Team Katusha Alpecin|3840
    18|Team Total Direct Energie|3440
    19|Astana Pro Team|2360
    20|Movistar Team|1770
    21|Team Arkéa Samsic|1440
    22|AG2R La Mondiale|670

• Advertisement

And individual prizemoney so far
    # Rider Amount
    1 Sagan Peter 25760
    2 De Gendt Thomas 19200
    3 Alaphilippe Julian 19180
    4 Teunissen Mike 13380
    5 Ewan Caleb 12900
    6 Teuns Dylan 12900
    7 Viviani Elia 12430
    8 Groenewegen Dylan 11830
    9 Wellens Tim 11500
    10 Ciccone Giulio 10850
    11 Matthews Michael 9810
    12 van Aert Wout 8350
    13 Pinot Thibaut 7430
    14 Kristoff Alexander 6440
    15 Colbrelli Sonny 6060
    16 Meurisse Xandro 5940
    17 Trentin Matteo 5630
    18 Stuyven Jasper 5390
    19 Van Avermaet Greg 4940
    20 Offredo Yoann 4900
    21 Rossetto Stéphane 4300
    22 Skujiņš Toms 3250
    23 Schär Michael 3200
    24 Nizzolo Giacomo 2960
    25 Thomas Geraint 2540

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dave Angel & Nico Roche in the same sentence!

Love Kelly " and the winner of the Ras" about the German Bora rider

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Roche in with a serious chance today having a teammate with him. He'd be the perfect winner as he represents Ireland and is French born.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

eagle eye wrote: »
    Roche in with a serious chance today having a teammate with him. He'd be the perfect winner as he represents Ireland and is French born.

What teammate?

• Advertisement

Nico can't hold the wheels here.

Nico can't hold the wheels here.

Hasnt got the speed at 35 but can still climb

Best option for a stage win in a breakaway is on a mountain stage later when the fast guys not there or tired ...

Of all the riders in the breakaway, Impey was the one i would have least preferred to win. Roche did his best and tried to drop Impey on the last climb and unfortunately will have to lose more time before he gets in the next breakaway as he will probably be within 10 minutes on gc at the end today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Eamonnator wrote: »

What teammate?

No idea, his closest team mate was over 13 minutes back in the peloton!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

tuxy wrote: »
    No idea, his closest team mate was over 13 minutes back in the peloton!

That's what I thought.

Great effort from Roche though, possibly burnt too many matches when he did some pulls getting distance from the main breakway.
    Very enjoyable tour so far.

cunavalos wrote: »
    Of all the riders in the breakaway, Impey was the one i would have least preferred to win. Roche did his best and tried to drop Impey on the last climb and unfortunately will have to lose more time before he gets in the next breakaway as he will probably be within 10 minutes on gc at the end today.

Cant stand Impey .

Not only for the rumours a few back and his racist remarks but just dont like him

Would have preferred (if Nico couldnt do it) Benoot to win

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Cant stand Impey .

Not only for the rumours a few back and his racist remarks but just dont like him

Would have preferred (if Nico couldnt do it) Benoot to win

Its ok we don't have to pussyfoot around rumours, Impey returned an adverse analytical finding for a masking agent in 2013 and got off with a weak excuse.
    https://www.velonews.com/2014/08/news/daryl-impey-return-racing-pharmacist-takes-doping-positive-blame_343150

Impey & Benoot sat up yesterday and saved themselves (about 20 minutes down) for today

Nicolas Roche was pulling for Michael Mathews at 3km to go yesterday

Deserves appluse for the effort he puts in and how hard he tries

Edit Roche quote “My plan was to give everything on that last climb and see how I was going afterwards,” explained Roche at the end of the stage. “I knew that if the bigger horsepower guys were with me by the top then I would have lost anyway. The problem was when we went through that town they tried to put a bit of pressure on and when Benoot went I didn’t have the explosiveness in my legs to close the gap. I stayed a few seconds behind, trying to fight back on but then I realised the group behind was coming fast. I waited for them and tried to recover but I had nothing left for the sprint in the end. I had my shot today and unfortunately I didn’t get the top result I wanted but sixth place isn’t too bad.”

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Impey & Benoot sat up yesterday and saved themselves (about 20 minutes down) for today

Nicolas Roche was pulling for Michael Mathews at 3km to go yesterday

Deserves appluse for the effort he puts in and how hard he tries

I have been fairly critical of Roche over the last few years and wouldn't be his biggest fan but he has been very impressive so far. He looks to be at his leanest and has been very visible in assisting Matthews in the early stages and alluded to earlier in the thread he probably worked a little to hard in the break today. Matthews probably gets one more chance tomorrow with full team support but after that surely team orders must be every man for himself.

If he keeps his form he will get at least one more chance for a stage win and he nearly always goes well in San Sebastien after a good Tour so a Top 10 there is possible and would be a solid result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

cunavalos wrote: »
    Rui Costa was screwed over getting into the break

How so? The first few attempts to form a break did not work which included himself, the yellow jersey, etc. One went and he tried to join it a little too late. The fact that he got close but then couldn't make it is simple racing. They didn't want him there cos he's not a good worker in a break. Not screwed over. Just tough.

Today's winner but with power data stripped this time :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/2532294106

Nico uploaded his with power though

https://www.strava.com/activities/2532204977

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How so? The first few attempts to form a break did not work which included himself, the yellow jersey, etc. One went and he tried to join it a little too late. The fact that he got close but then couldn't make it is simple racing. They didn't want him there cos he's not a good worker in a break. Not screwed over. Just tough.

Even Juan Antonio mentioned that, his rep proceeded him and the break kept the pace up and didn't wait on him. He wasn't happy with the camera on him trying to get a sticky bottle either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

The ITV4 guys were all over it. He attacked the bunch to try and bridge the gap just after the yellow jersey pulled in for a toilet break which is a big no no and was jeered when he was eventually swallowed up. You reap what you sow.

Advertisement