Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that grind my gears

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

The length of time to get take trees in the last few minutes.
    Some players are guilty of this the whole time but if most leading teams get a free near the end, it completely kills the flow of the game.

Is particularly annoying if the player has exagerrated contact to win it, then claims to be injured, then it takes up to a minute to kick it.

Infuriating. Final thing to push me over the edge is injured player recovering rapidly to sprint 50 yards to cut down the kick out.

Not to mention refs taking a minute to book a player,when said player is trying to waste time and pretending to be surprised just to waste a bit longer.

Just flash the card and write down the number. You dont have to give a long winded explanation of every card to show what a great ref you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

harpsman wrote: »
    One girl singing, unaccompanied, a slowed down version of the national anthem.
    Very uninspiring

Another one!

The county secretary's niece doing an audition for Stars in their Eyes singing a Kazakh phonetic translation:

"Shove lift cunning all round the beam."

It's dreadful embarrassing insult. No wonder players pick their noses and bottoms during it before breaking away to perform star jumps before it ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I like a pint and especially in the stadium before or at HT but this would drive me soft. I think the IRFU cant do anything until the catering/bar contracts are up. Hope it never comes into Croker. I go to a lot of Ireland games and you dont even notice the absence of drink, no issue at all

Agree totally,

I like a Pint before the game and after but im never too pushed about drinking when the match is on for a few reasons:

1) I d be only dying for a piss during the game if i was on the pints

2) paying 5/6euro for some watery piss heineken :D no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Agree totally,

I like a Pint before the game and after but im never too pushed about drinking when the match is on for a few reasons:

1) I d be only dying for a piss during the game if i was on the pints

2) paying 5/6euro for some watery piss heineken :D no thanks

The lager is actually Carlsberg and its not too bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

harpsman wrote: »
    These days its often the forward instigating it as a yellow card for his marker is alot more dangerous than one for himself.

Particularly if Cillian O Connor is involved:)

I'll not disagree on that particular individual.

Refs giving 2 yellow cards when there is clearly an instigator and a guy defending himself.

So many of the top forwards have fallen foul to this over the years as their man has just started a row off the ball- see Connolly, donaghy and loads more.

It seems to form about 70% of lee Keegan planning for when he is marking someone

Same as, drives me nuts. Someone started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Tickets for the all Ireland finals going to all the clubs around the country
    They should go to the clubs in the counties that are represented that day, if Louth and Antrim were in an all Ireland final their clubs should get the tickets any remaining can be offered elsewhere

This is a difficult one.

I have a season ticket and get an All-Ireland ticket if Dublin get there. A friend who comes to nearly every game with me doesn't get one because he was too late for the season tickets and no new Dublin ones have been issued for the last six years. Should he get a ticket if Dublin get there?

Then, I was talking to a voluntary mentor from another Dublin club, and he was telling me that his club raffle their allocation among the voluntary mentors. Those lads (and lassies) give up their time twice a week year in year out on a voluntary basis for the club and never really get the chance to go to matches as a result. Sounded fair that they should get a chance for an All-Ireland, even if it isn't their team?

There are pros and cons to every method of ticket allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Guinness in Croke Park is awful.

Slattsy wrote: »

Not surprised the way they pull it, i wouldn't touch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Slattsy wrote: »

Not surprised the way they pull it, i wouldn't touch it
    And they're pulling it into a plastic glass. Might as well scoop some water straight out of the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

The constant fouling that is ignored in hurling to "let the game flow" and the relentless criticism of referees who apply the rules in hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tickets for the all Ireland finals going to all the clubs around the country
    They should go to the clubs in the counties that are represented that day, if Louth and Antrim were in an all Ireland final their clubs should get the tickets any remaining can be offered elsewhere

Every club in the country gets to run an annual draw based on getting those tickets
    I have issue with the officers of various committees and county boards getting tickets
    I don't why the Cumann na mbunscol in e.g. Sligo should get hurling tickets every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Another one!

The county secretary's niece doing an audition for Stars in their Eyes singing a Kazakh phonetic translation:

"Shove lift cunning all round the beam."

It's dreadful embarrassing insult. No wonder players pick their noses and bottoms during it before breaking away to perform star jumps before it ends.

Running joke here at home when I've a match on that it generally starts with someone murdering the national anthem. It reminds me that person that's in every extended family that's prevailed on to sing at every gathering because "they do it lovely" when in reality a bag of cats fighting would be easier on the ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

People changing the narrative about a massive overspend to "the honour and integrity of this great county of Cork was damaged".
    In the end it'll be "Sure we didn't spend €110m at all, only €95.8m"
    A pity about the pitch, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

"Shure lookit...." followed by the most bog-standard of analysis. Urusla Jacob is particularly fond of that phrase.

Ursula Jacob’s voice/accent actually grinds my ears!!

• Advertisement

1984baby wrote: »
    Ursula Jacob’s voice/accent actually grinds my ears!!

Wexophobe :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

It is truly an abomination. If someone wants to listen to loud music then they can pop in their ear phones.

I suspect that it is a device to get people to go to the bars and concessions between games, and clear out quickly as soon as games are over. Even the celebrations at the end of finals are marred by this antisocial cr@p.

Who wants to hear a recording of The Rose of Mooncoin, or The Boys are Back in Town at the end of a match so they can't savour the occasion naturally?

When Limerick won the AI, I loved hearing the cranberries being belted out. I felt that added to the occasion in that instance.

One of the most perfect moments I ever had in Croke park was made by the music. Canning pointed from the sideline to go one up against Tipp in an epic match. Bubbles misses his chance 15 secs later. Ref blows the whistle, place went wild and Bruce Springsteen, Glory days starts blaring. It was just perfect. Half the stadium dancing, the other half still in their seats in disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The momentum killers. A team is on a bit of a run mid game. Out of nowhere a lad goes down with an injury or a missing lens. Play gets stopped for a couple of minutes. Rinse and repeat until that momentum is finally killed.

citykat wrote: »
    The momentum killers. A team is on a bit of a run mid game. Out of nowhere a lad goes down with an injury or a missing lens. Play gets stopped for a couple of minutes. Rinse and repeat until that momentum is finally killed.

It is called "controlling the pace of the game" apparently.

One of leading football contenders has it down to a fine art where they even do it gratuitously when game is well over.

Terrible to watch, but sure they couldn't care less :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

As previously mentioned, the black card rule and its implementation, AI tickets going round to every county leaving them scarce in the competing counties, the guinness in croker and GAA pundits in general. Most come out with one good point and follow them with 55 bad ones, as they say even a broken clock is right twice a day.

My own pet peeve is the new system of cynical fouling that has emerged of hassling or wrapping a lad up when hes on the break inside his own half. Avoiding black and yellow cards but still killing any chance of a counter attack. Every bit as cynical as the black card fouls and should be dealt with similarly.

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »

It's always a head injury they go down with
    No referee would want to get in trouble for not stopping play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

blanch152 wrote: »
    This is a difficult one.

I have a season ticket and get an All-Ireland ticket if Dublin get there. A friend who comes to nearly every game with me doesn't get one because he was too late for the season tickets and no new Dublin ones have been issued for the last six years. Should he get a ticket if Dublin get there?

Then, I was talking to a voluntary mentor from another Dublin club, and he was telling me that his club raffle their allocation among the voluntary mentors. Those lads (and lassies) give up their time twice a week year in year out on a voluntary basis for the club and never really get the chance to go to matches as a result. Sounded fair that they should get a chance for an All-Ireland, even if it isn't their team?

There are pros and cons to every method of ticket allocation.
    If Dublin are playing I think you should be able to go to the final
    But if Limerick and Offaly are playing I think you should not, tickets should go to the counties clubs involved in the final
    It kills me when I'm looking for a ticket for the final and you hear of clubs raffling them halfway around the country cos they've no involvement in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The most annoying rule in Gaelic Football is where they penalise you if you barely take a step over the sideline when taking a sideline ball.

I'm not sure why they make such a big deal out of this yet fellas taking frees off their hands (going for a point) always end up kicking the ball around 5 yards closer in that where the foul was made.

Why not bring in the spray stuff the soccer refs have - doesnt have to be used all the time, just when its obvious a free taker is going to shoot for a score.

It's always a head injury they go down with
    No referee would want to get in trouble for not stopping play

No problem with stopping play for a head injury. But when it's systematic and a cramp/muscle injury, maybe it's just me but I get suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

All seats in Croke Park costing the same whether they’re in the middle of the lower Hogan or in the nose bleed rows at the back of the upper Davin.

In fairness €80 for an AI final central Hogan or Cusack ticket is excellent value if you can get one, but it boils my pi$$ to have to pay the same for the back row corner of the Davin top deck.

Surely a fairer system would be to charge say €100 for the middle sections of the Hogan or Cusack and then decrease gradually back to €60 for the corners and behind the goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

All seats in Croke Park costing the same whether they’re in the middle of the lower Hogan or in the nose bleed rows at the back of the upper Davin.

In fairness €80 for an AI final central Hogan or Cusack ticket is excellent value if you can get one, but it boils my pi$$ to have to pay the same for the back row corner of the Davin top deck.

Surely a fairer system would be to charge say €100 for the middle sections of the Hogan or Cusack and then decrease gradually back to €60 for the corners and behind the goal?

In addition to this, I think the corners where the stands intersect are called Cusack / Hogan where they should be called Davin as they are more behind the goal than at the side.

In addition to this, I think the corners where the stands intersect are called Cusack / Hogan where they should be called Davin as they are more behind the goal than at the side.

This is a pet peeve of mine and a blatant attempt by the GAA to make tickets seem more appealing than they actually are. If they don't face directly to the side line they are not Cusack or hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The rule that allows a red carded player to be replaced in extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Poor Umpires and I mean I say 50% of them. Cause some have not got a clue.

Anyone watching the Cork ladies match at weekend will know what I'm talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It would surely be feasible to have some sort of standards test for umpires, in the same way that referees at club level have to pass fitness parameters. I know it would be hard for a fella to say no to his dad or whatever, but its nepotism at its worst. Maybe even referees from the same county as the assigned ref or something to keep it neutral.

I do think somewhere like Croker could have its own independent team of umpires, in much the same way that Wimbledon have qualified/experienced line judges.

• Advertisement

A simple eye test would be sufficient for most umpires:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

It would surely be feasible to have some sort of standards test for umpires, in the same way that referees at club level have to pass fitness parameters. I know it would be hard for a fella to say no to his dad or whatever, but its nepotism at its worst. Maybe even referees from the same county as the assigned ref or something to keep it neutral.

I do think somewhere like Croker could have its own independent team of umpires, in much the same way that Wimbledon have qualified/experienced line judges.

I can picture it now, a test that involved their speed from behind the goal to the flag, how quick they can pick it up, the width of their waving path and if they can signal a wide ball twenty times without tiring :D

Seriously though as far as I know the lads on the inter county panels do get brought in for training at the start of the year, what it entails I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

threeball wrote: »
    This is a pet peeve of mine and a blatant attempt by the GAA to make tickets seem more appealing than they actually are. If they don't face directly to the side line they are not Cusack or hogan.

The intersection between the Hogan and Davin stand is not too bad but there are a few sections of the Cusack stand that are behind the end line which is absolutely taking the piss :mad:

Here is Section 315 in the "Cusack" stand

486369.PNG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The cultural and historical gate keeping that goes on between counties, maybe not uniquely a GAA thing but was made worse by the GAA, e.g. Meath thinking they are "the royal county" and things like that, I think the GAA attached itself to Irish history too much like naming clubs after saints and historical figures.

The cultural and historical gate keeping that goes on between counties, maybe not uniquely a GAA thing but was made worse by the GAA, e.g. Meath thinking they are "the royal county" and things like that, I think the GAA attached itself to Irish history too much like naming clubs after saints and historical figures.

A nationalistic and sporting organisation trying to attach itself to national and historic figures and places from the past?
    Surely not!

A nationalistic and sporting organisation trying to attach itself to national and historic figures and places from the past?
    Surely not!

Well is rugby not nationalistic in Wales but I'm sure you don't get most clubs named after a saint, Welsh historical figure or having old tribal crests used as a badge. It is even more silly when the GAA advertise the game in foreign countries and say "it's a game for all"

Well is rugby not nationalistic in Wales but I'm sure you don't get most clubs named after a saint, Welsh historical figure or having old tribal crests used as a badge. It is even more silly when the GAA advertise the game in foreign countries and say "it's a game for all"

I don't think the IRFU would be too anxious to commemorate its historical connections somehow!

It's President was shot dead by Volunteers during the Easter rising in Dublin when out with the loyalist militia :)

I don't think the IRFU would be too anxious to commemorate its historical connections somehow!

It's President was shot dead by Volunteers during the Easter rising in Dublin when out with the loyalist militia :)

the thing about the GAA is that they even use historical figures who were long dead when Gaelic Football was formed, medieval kings and saints actually have nothing to do with sports never mind gaelic football, if saints were alive today they would probably dislike sport due to it distracting people from God. Something else I noticed is that they aren't even consistent with the religion they are linking GAA with, some clubs are Christian saints and other clubs are named after Celtic Pagan figures. I know everyone apart from Ulster unionists would disagree with me but I don't care, the thread asked what grinds your gears and I have answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Anywhere online that you could recommend for a bit of reading up on this?

• Advertisement

On 24th April 1916 members of the Irish Volunteers seized key buildings in Dublin . After six days they surrendered.
    Francis (Frank) Henry Browning, the President of the Irish Football Union was the only rugby IFU official or player to be killed during the uprising. On the day of the rising, the Irish Rugby Union Football Corps headed by Browning had returned to Dublin from a route march and drill practice with drums beating and standards held a loft and marched straight into the middle that was the Rising, totally unaware of the events that were unfurling around them. The Corps in civilian clothes with arm-bands were carrying rifles but not ammunition; in the ensuing encounter with the "Rebels" seven members of the Corps were wounded, four fatally. Browning was shot in Haddington Road , (Beggars Bush) and died of his wounds two days later. He was buried in Deansgrange Cemetery , South Dublin .

http://therugbyhistorysociety.co.uk/irishww1.html

Nothing to do with modern IRFU obviously, but interesting historical note, especially given that a huge proportion of Volunteers out in 1916 were GAA members. O'Tooles have plaque in club house with well over 100 names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Are you just bitter because 'The Saffrons'? Or do I have you misplaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I noticed is that they aren't even consistent with the religion they are linking GAA with, some clubs are Christian saints and other clubs are named after Celtic Pagan figures

As you know there was a bigger movement that involved heritage, language and mythology.

Promotion of an identity was key to that, the games are old and are a part of the bigger picture.

It's not a contradiction.

Clubs like Setanta, with links to Cu Chulain who pops up in Ulster, Scottish and Manx folklore. They've nothing to do with the RC church and reference elements of the games.

My own club was named after a poet, from nearly 300 years ago. Saints and scholars were the icons people identified with, they provided the content in the timeline.

I understand that this grinds your gears, but maybe it shouldn't.

We won't dig too deeply into any club named after St Bridget !
    But it is interesting since it's pretty similar in how one "organisation" absorbed a figure from another to legitimise itself

Not being able to watch a match without being asked to do the line annoys me.

The saint thing is just teams named after parishes. More prevalent in Dublin I think.

Older Dublin clubs are more likely to have historical connotations - Crokes, Kickhams, Davis, Eoghan Ruadh, or if county then after the place they are from.

Clubs established from 20s on tend to have taken parish names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's funny how the names vary a lot between counties. In Mayo almost all clubs are named after the town or village they come from, whereas a lot of Roscommon clubs have saints names or other names not so clearly linked to the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Stoner wrote: »
    As you know there was a bigger movement that involved heritage, language and mythology.

Promotion of an identity was key to that, the games are old and are a part of the bigger picture.

It's not a contradiction.

Clubs like Setanta, with links to Cu Chulain who pops up in Ulster, Scottish and Manx folklore. They've nothing to do with the RC church and reference elements of the games.

My own club was named after a poet, from nearly 300 years ago. Saints and scholars were the icons people identified with, they provided the content in the timeline.

I understand that this grinds your gears, but maybe it shouldn't.

We won't dig too deeply into any club named after St Bridget !
    But it is interesting since it's pretty similar in how one "organisation" absorbed a figure from another to legitimise itself

Not being able to watch a match without being asked to do the line annoys me.

This,100 times this.
    The whole creation of the GAA was part of a cultural restoration and celebration of our history.

In Kerry you have clubs named after saints, local volunteers, 1916 revolutionaries, etc but the central theme is that they all form a part of Irish history and culture.

• Advertisement

Whatever about clubs around the country formed when the church was dominant being named after Saints and priests I have to laugh when I see clubs overseas in the US, Australia, England and even Asia do this. Are they actively trying to dissuade people from joining who aren't of Irish heritage.

Most of the naming of clubs after parishes was done well after the foundation, when parishes became the organising practical organising unit of the GAA rather than a village or town or as in Dublin where clubs were often organised on basis of professions where you had clubs from Guinnesses, the bar trade, teachers, Gaelic league, shop workers, civil servants and so on. Nothing to do with the Church being dominant. In fact the RCC along with the Brits, had been hostile to the GAA for decades.

The GAA's fundamental role is to promote Irish games and the culture of Irish people. If others wish to participate then that's great. the preservation of Irish culture remains an objective as far as I know. Plenty of others working in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Rugby is an English game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

threeball wrote: »
    Whatever about clubs around the country formed when the church was dominant being named after Saints and priests I have to laugh when I see clubs overseas in the US, Australia, England and even Asia do this. Are they actively trying to dissuade people from joining who aren't of Irish heritage.

But to people not of Irish heritage it's just a game they enjoy playing.
    They don't care about the name of the club or the history of some Irish politician or saint.
    They know it's called what it's called because it's Irish.

People elsewhere are not as hung up about the history of the influence of the RCC or nationalism in Ireland as we Irish are.

People elsewhere are not as hung up about the history of the influence of the RCC or nationalism in Ireland as we Irish are.

Its more people obsessed with trying to force the GAA into being some poster boy for "diversity" and "multiculturalism."

Most traditionalists are almost afraid to open their mouths at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement