Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that grind my gears

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

It's 8 minutes before the All Ireland semi final. Players are trying to focus on the game. What do they do? They bring out Shane Lowry and do an on pitch interview. How disrectful is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

citykat wrote: »
    It's 8 minutes before the All Ireland semi final. Players are trying to focus on the game. What do they do? They bring out Shane Lowry and do an on pitch interview. How disrectful is that?

They be in the dressing rooms at that time.

YFlyer wrote: »
    They be in the dressing rooms at that time.

What're you on about. They' were out on the pitch ffs.

Today in Croke park was just farcical. It's actually becoming more surreal. They interviewed a chef fully togged out on the pitch. A transition year student would have better ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I thought I was the only one to find all the Vaudeville stuff deeply irritating!

They have yet to top the lads in air bubbles racing each other across the pitch at one of the football finals a few years back.

"I'm having a freakin nervous breakdown here. Enough already."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gerry G wrote: »
    Kicking from the hand should be done away with altogether in free taking. It was much more entertaining and skillful when the ball was placed

Even for a free in your own half?

Nah from the hand keeps the game flowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

“The 4 week layoff was too long for them.” FFS, if you’re good enough you’ll win no matter how long between games

lawred2 wrote: »

There was some good place kicking from both sides in the 21s semi final this evening. It is nice to look at when executed well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

lawred2 wrote: »

Exactly

A few days ago the 1980 All Ireland final was on TG4.
    Kicking every free from the ground was so slow and tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Faux outrage surely? You think any of the players even noticed that was happening?

• Advertisement

Faux outrage surely? You think any of the players even noticed that was happening?

Unless they were deaf or blind they couldn't but. I've no idea why Shane Lowry was put on display today. He's not a GAA player. No connection to either participating county. This is an All Ireland semi final. These players have sacrificed a lot to get to this stage. It's their day not Lowry's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Unless they were deaf or blind they couldn't but. I've no idea why Shane Lowry was put on display today. He's not a GAA player. No connection to either participating county. This is an All Ireland semi final. These players have sacrificed a lot to get to this stage. It's their day not Lowry's.

I sincerely doubt they even noticed! Plus a Kilkenny company is one of Lowrys biggest sponsors :pac:

I'm sure the IRFU will parade the All Ireland winners before the first 6 Nations game in the Aviva next year :)

Typical of the wannabe boy band managers who are responsible for the "entertainment" in Croke Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

cjmc wrote: »
    Rugby is an English game!

Australian Rules Football then, not many clubs named after colonial english culture as far as i know anyway

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Its more people obsessed with trying to force the GAA into being some poster boy for "diversity" and "multiculturalism."

Most traditionalists are almost afraid to open their mouths at this stage.

I'm not one of those people but I just like to point out how I see it, no matter what people say the naming of clubs and grounds in places like Antrim is actually harming them in the long run, a county like Antrim won't be able to become successful until the Protestants get involved, I know other northern counties have had success but counties like Derry and Armagh still would benefit from having their entire population being "GAA people"

My main irritation is the gate keeping of the heritage by specific counties, as I previous said about Meath and High Kingship, Tyrone and clan O'Neill, Cork and rebels, Derry and oakwoods (my own county) we must think we are the only county to have forests.
    Other examples I can think of is the Monaghan Farney/Oriel thing and Cavan gate keeping the Breifne kingdom, Leitrim has as much right to call themselves that.

Something else that annoys me is the new Mid-Ulster council crest, South Derry and East Tyrone. They have stuck oak leafs on it to represent South Derry, the oak leaf represents Derry city, it only represents the whole county when used within the GAA but it is nothing to do with South Derry in any other way, they also have the red hand on the crest to represent East Tyrone even though the red hand represents the majority of Ulster, more gate keeping there, this world irritates me altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Its more people obsessed with trying to force the GAA into being some poster boy for "diversity" and "multiculturalism."

I'm not one of those people but I just like to point out how I see it, no matter what people say the naming of clubs and grounds in places like Antrim is actually harming them in the long run, a county like Antrim won't be able to become successful until the Protestants get involved, I know other northern counties have had success but counties like Derry and Armagh still would benefit from having their entire population being "GAA people"

My main irritation is the gate keeping of the heritage by specific counties, as I previous said about Meath and High Kingship, Tyrone and clan O'Neill, Cork and rebels, Derry and oakwoods (my own county) we must think we are the only county to have forests.
    Other examples I can think of is the Monaghan Farney/Oriel thing and Cavan gate keeping the Breifne kingdom, Leitrim has as much right to call themselves that.

Something else that annoys me is the new Mid-Ulster council crest, South Derry and East Tyrone. They have stuck oak leafs on it to represent South Derry, the oak leaf represents Derry city, it only represents the whole county when used within the GAA but it is nothing to do with South Derry in any other way, they also have the red hand on the crest to represent East Tyrone even though the red hand represents the majority of Ulster, more gate keeping there, this world irritates me altogether.
    I've never heard of less consequential things to be annoyed by in my entire life. Meath are "gate keeping" high kingship? What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The saint thing is just teams named after parishes. More prevalent in Dublin I think.

Older Dublin clubs are more likely to have historical connotations - Crokes, Kickhams, Davis, Eoghan Ruadh, or if county then after the place they are from.

Clubs established from 20s on tend to have taken parish names.

clubs named after saints down the country are usually named after a saint that has an association with the area - eg a well or rock or something

how many GAA clubs are named after the local landlord? I know one

anyway, things that grind my gears

In hurling when a player runs straight into another player, usually head down, sometimes the helmet pops off
    Then gets a free for it

That's a good one!

Only one I can think of is Arklow Rcok Parnells, although that was not reason they named the club after him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

clubs named after saints down the country are usually named after a saint that has an association with the area - eg a well or rock or something

Catleisland Desmonds name would come from the Earl of Desmond

Catleisland Desmonds name would come from the Earl of Desmond

Named after the one who led the rebellion in 1500s rather than his descendants I assume?

Named after the one who led the rebellion in 1500s rather than his descendants I assume?

Hmmm I still think the name is tainted if we are seeing it as such

If you heard of a team called the Munich hitlers but they were named after his ancestor who started the local co-op and not him- you’d still find it questionable!

Very good!

I suppose in the near future we might have clubs named after vulture funds or drug cartels:

The Kilmainham Kinahans has a ring to it.

The Tullamore Tanagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

On the club names, contained in this tweet are the names of teams active in Meath in 1887, Julianstown are obviously gatekeeping the American flag https://twitter.com/RatoathGAA/status/1154217033480974337/photo/1

On the Lowry thing, he's involved with his local club, his dad was a pretty decent and well known intercounty footballer and he's a regular at all sorts of games not just Offaly ones. Plus I'm pretty sure Bernard Dunne, Padraig Harrington and others were on the pitch after they had big wins. Finally it's not as embarrassing as the 20 minutes (well is seemed like it) tribute to Cluxton ahead of the Kildare game, also while the teams were warming up.

Very good!

I suppose in the near future we might have clubs named after vulture funds or drug cartels:

The Kilmainham Kinahans has a ring to it.

The Tullamore Tanagers.

The Dingle Westies

• Advertisement

I wonder what entertainment delights await the unwitting crowd in Croker. There's surely a world champion plate spinner or some such equivalent with a fascinating story to be shared right before throw in.

Keep this under your hat, but I hear that one of the contestants in Love Island has a granny from Nobber.

Would not be one bit surprised to see her making an appearance. Maybe even get her to throw the ball in.

I wonder what entertainment delights await the unwitting crowd in Croker. There's surely a world champion plate spinner or some such equivalent with a fascinating story to be shared right before throw in.

I heard the English cricket World Cup winning captain might have some link to Ireland- hopefully they walk him out before one of the matches soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Female pundits.

How do county players get away with wearing illegal helmets?
    Most of them wearing modified faceguards and many of them with bars removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Clubs who claim they were founded way back in 18-Dickety (on a crest for example) but when you read their history you'll see "the club disbanded in 1900 and was reformed in 1927" or "after the 1892 championship there was no record of a team from X entering until 1931". So in reality the present club is decades younger than they claim....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Dónal Óg and Derek McGrath's ego stroking rather than offering actual analysis of the game hateful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

€2.50 for a bottle of water in Croke Park and then they proceed to take the top off it before handing it over.

Fans are treated like an inconvenience in that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

How do county players get away with wearing illegal helmets?
    Most of them wearing modified faceguards and many of them with bars removed

I also don't get the fact that lads wear the same helmet from the time they're minor until they retire. The protective foam completely worn away so its just a plastic shell with two rivets stuck in your forehead. FFS lads a new helmet is 60 quid. It won't break the bank and you'll be used of it in 2 weeks. Get one for Christmas.

I've never heard of less consequential things to be annoyed by in my entire life. Meath are "gate keeping" high kingship? What?

If you look at things deeper they do, they call themselves the royal county because of the hill of Tara, many of the high kings crowned there weren't even from there, they were northerners and southerners, plus the kingdom of Midhe was much larger than county Meath so they cannot claim to have a monopoly on being "royals".

Counties do gate keep culture, especially my neighbouring Tyrone, I read that Tyrone were designing their training ground to be shaped like the O'Neill Tullyhogue Fort but little do they know the kings there ruled land much further north than co.Tyrone, I have had arguments with Tyrone fans and they truly are gate keepers of that side of Ulsters proud culture, you don't see Clare doing it with the O'Brien clan culture.

I do wonder if I should keep following GAA or not, it does seem to bring me more annoyance than pleasure come to think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

€2.50 for a bottle of water in Croke Park and then they proceed to take the top off it before handing it over.

Fans are treated like an inconvenience in that place.

Had that happen to me a few weeks ago and I objected as it was for my young lad and he'd stretch it out over the game. The supervisor came over and said to the chap on the tills it's ok to send them out with lids, it's only for concerts they can't. The other alternative is to either bring a bottle in yourself, or bring a lid in your pocket :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

Just on the subject of club names and being called saints/national figures etc.

Do clubs formed lets say from the 90s onwards still carry this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

On 24th April 1916 members of the Irish Volunteers seized key buildings in Dublin . After six days they surrendered.
    Francis (Frank) Henry Browning, the President of the Irish Football Union was the only rugby IFU official or player to be killed during the uprising. On the day of the rising, the Irish Rugby Union Football Corps headed by Browning had returned to Dublin from a route march and drill practice with drums beating and standards held a loft and marched straight into the middle that was the Rising, totally unaware of the events that were unfurling around them. The Corps in civilian clothes with arm-bands were carrying rifles but not ammunition; in the ensuing encounter with the "Rebels" seven members of the Corps were wounded, four fatally. Browning was shot in Haddington Road , (Beggars Bush) and died of his wounds two days later. He was buried in Deansgrange Cemetery , South Dublin .

http://therugbyhistorysociety.co.uk/irishww1.html

Nothing to do with modern IRFU obviously, but interesting historical note, especially given that a huge proportion of Volunteers out in 1916 were GAA members. O'Tooles have plaque in club house with well over 100 names.

So GAA members murdered 4 unarmed men, one of whom was the IRFU president but the IRFU should be ashamed of the incident?

All the traditionalists are just John Bull type West Brits apparently:)

Well perhaps you would prefer if we were still sending eijits out to charge at other peoples machine gun nests?

IRFU militia ran into the rebellion to free Ireland, and were on the wrong side, carrying guns. Sh1t happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

harpsman wrote: »
    So GAA members murdered 4 unarmed men, one of whom was the IRFU president but the IRFU should be ashamed of the incident?

They carried rifles into the middle of the rising they were hardly going to be met with hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

They were armed. They had rifles. It's not the volunteers' fault that they were too stupid to bring bullets.

Explains why IRFU did not have any centenary event in 2016.

They might have re-enacted the executions to loud cheers :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭cms88

Hurling pundits saying he's ''not a dirty player'' about more or less everyone

Explains why IRFU did not have any centenary event in 2016.

They might have re-enacted the executions to loud cheers :-)

Maybe they don’t celebrate people being shot like some do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

cms88 wrote: »
    Hurling pundits saying he's ''not a dirty player'' about more or less everyone

Agreed. It always seems "out of character". In the match on Sunday, one of the Tipp lads blatently punched one of the Wexford players into the stomach. And it barely commented on. Like as if it was kinda acceptable.

Maybe they don’t celebrate people being shot like some do

Why do they wear poppies then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I dislike the half time entertainment on all Ireland finals day. I know it’s not the super bowl but come on put a bit of thought into it! It’s like they are ashamed to have an extravaganza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭cms88

Agreed. It always seems "out of character". In the match on Sunday, one of the Tipp lads blatently punched one of the Wexford players into the stomach. And it barely commented on. Like as if it was kinda acceptable.

Thing is that sort of this is acceptable, and god help a ref if they call it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The IRFU wear the poppy?

Advertisement