Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking in Sardinia

Options
  • 15-07-2019 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Heading on the honeymoon in a few weeks and planning on getting a few spins in over there with the missus- luckily she's into biking as well.

Just wondering if anyone has rented road bikes in Sardinia before and if they could recommend a decent place to rent bikes - we're looking at Sardinia Cycling at the mo.

Also any advice on recommended routes around the island and what gear we need to supply ourselves (shoes/cleats, pedals, helmets etc.) would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Try these guys: Sardiniacycling.com

Have heard good reviews about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What part of the island are you going to? Been there three times cycling. Used Sardinia cycling last time, got a great quality canyon there. No issues at all with it. Brought own pedals, shoes and helmet. Brought some tubes too, they charge about 5 euro a tube I think if you use there's.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

joey100 wrote: »
    What part of the island are you going to? Been there three times cycling. Used Sardinia cycling last time, got a great quality canyon there. No issues at all with it. Brought own pedals, shoes and helmet. Brought some tubes too, they charge about 5 euro a tube I think if you use there's.

We're going to be based mainly around the southern coast, not far from Cagliari.

I've been looking at Sardinia Cycling alright, they seem decent enough.

Thanks for the heads up on the tubes.

Any particular routes that you would recommend/avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Sorry I was around the alghero area so not really near where your going. Found it great tho. Really enjoyed it. Some roads busy enough and the cars can be fast but never any hassle really off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I used this site last year when mapping routes when based in southern Sicily and found it great for ideas so hopefully it will serve you well too

https://italy-cycling-guide.info/cycle-routes/coastal-rides/sardegna-east-coast/

Heard about this audax earlier this year and would love to return to the islands to take it on - again the route may throw up some ideas for you in planning

https://www.6p6.bike/en/tour-sardinia

THE major thing to remember though is how hot it can get between 11.00am and 3.00pm so stay coastal if you have to be out at these times. Once you turn inland and lose the breeze it can feel like the temperature has risen 5-10c and coupled with rural island conveniences (or lack of) you could be found wanting for water on long inland routes very easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement