Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryzen CPU loan for bios update, Limerick

Options
  • 15-07-2019 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, anyone around Limerick that would have an idle ryzen CPU pre 3000 series that would be willing to lend for an hour just to update the bios on my b450 motherboard?
    I could collect and return it, and would be most grateful :D
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If not you can get one directly from AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Cheers, looked at that but could be waiting a few weeks, was hoping to get sorted a bit sooner. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Stupid question, but it doesn't hurt to double check - there's no bios flashback I take it.

Asus b450 mini itx so no flashback I'm afraid. Worst case scenario I can pull one from a system a built for a relative once they return from holiday, but hoping someone has upgraded to a 3000 CPU and has an old one lying about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Amazon had the R1200 for 55 earlier.....saw some cheap 2200g, 200GE and 1600 on adverts as well recently, if they're still there.

• Advertisement

That was my plan first but none of the cheaper offerings on Amazon were either Prime or delivery date was too long. The 1200 can now be delivered to me by Wednesday so think I'll order one of those! :D

Sorted, R3 1200 arrived this morning, stealth opened, installed, updated bios, stealth closed, return label printed, sending back today for refund, thanks Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

superneat wrote: »
    Sorted, R3 1200 arrived this morning, stealth opened, installed, updated bios, stealth closed, return label printed, sending back today for refund, thanks Amazon!

tsk tsk although I assume no one else is going to buy an R3 1200 so no harm done :P

I reckon so, and in fairness it wasn't out of the box 5 minutes, and I used an old cooler, so it's "practically" brand new :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

superneat wrote: »
    Nice! How did you go about "stealth" opening it? Just peel off the sticker carefully?

You've tempted me to do the same when I come to building a 3700X ITX system at a later date, even if I've a Ryzen 3 2200G already in my server. :p

• Advertisement

I just used a sharp knife under the sticker and slowly pulled enough off to open it. Once the sticker is pressed back on you would never know it was opened.

Advertisement