Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping center gift card

Options
  • 15-07-2019 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi, just looking for people's opinion on this please...
    I tried to pay for something with a centre gift card for in an alterations shop located in the centre but was told they didn't accept them. I checked centres website and it doesn't say anything about certain shops not taking them. Do you think I have a right to complain to the centre?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I'd go to the information stand in the centre and ask there.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Acey10 wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for people's opinion on this please...
    I tried to pay for something with a centre gift card for in an alterations shop located in the centre but was told they didn't accept them. I checked centres website and it doesn't say anything about certain shops not taking them. Do you think I have a right to complain to the centre?
    Thanks

No, they all have a list of places that accept them. If you didn't get a booklet with the list of shops, they are usually listed on their website with a line on the giftcard referring you there. Not always ideal but they seem to have themselves covered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

red petal wrote: »
    No, they all have a list of places that accept them. If you didn't get a booklet with the list of shops, they are usually listed on their website with a line on the giftcard referring you there. Not always ideal but they seem to have themselves covered for it.

There is no list on the website, I would understand if it said not accepted by all stores or something buto I can't see anything about it.

I'd go to the information stand in the centre and ask there.

Yes I was thinking about that but afraid I would sound ridiculous so just wanted people's opinions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Yes I was thinking about that but afraid I would sound ridiculous so just wanted people's opinions!!

I'd rather ask strangers on the internet as well, so I fully understand your anxiety :)

You don't need to tell them what happened, technically you don't even need to tell them that you have the card. You can just say that you're thinking about getting it for a friend or a family member and ask if it's accepted in all shops.

Or say something like "I got this gift card here, before I go wild on the shops here, can you just let me know if there are any specific shops that don't accept the card?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

My understanding was that the vouchers were usually just branded prepaid mastercards, this means that they can be used in any shop that takes cards.
    Do you want to let us know what Centre it was? Might be able to better advise you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you think I have a right to complain to the centre?

Have you just emigrated from North Korea? Why do you feel the need to ask if you have the 'right' to complain?

But let's be realistic here ..... if you go up to the information desk to complain, you will be speaking to a low-level functionary who has absolutely nothing to do with whether the card is accepted in shops or not. Complain by writing a letter, not by giving an earful to the person manning the customer service desk.

If this is the Dundrum Centre, the last time I got a gift card, it was a code in an e-mail and when I went to the desk, they handed me a Mastercard preloaded with credit. I suspect that alterations shop is cash only, they don't do plastic and that's why they won't take the card.

Legally, if you received that card as a gift, there's nothing you can do about it. It's the person who purchsaed the card that has standing here, you do not.

Thanks for the responses, I emailed them and they assured me that ALL shops accepted the card and they are looking into it for me, I'll update here what happens if anyone is interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Does the alteration place count as a shop though? I would have thought that they are a service provider. Those cards are basically prepaid credit cards maybe the alteration place does not accept any credit cards

Advertisement