Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

My mate (a Garda) bought one. He loves it. It changes owner every few months to help the tax :D:D:D

Looking back through the old tax discs in the car it has every tax disc since 2004, full year always paid. I haven’t the heart to calculate how much was paid out for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I’ll take it off your hands when the time comes.
    I’ve a grand place for it :-)

You’ll be a while waiting....

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you still doing the taxiing VB?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KeepingUp27

Seen an ad on fb for a 2004 Skoda Octavia 1.4. 109k miles, nct until may. Under 1k€
    I had a few passats from around that year and were always reliable and cheap for parts when needed.
    Anyone any experience with these skoda’s?
    My own car is hanging by a thread and don’t have a lot of money for a new one right now so looking cheap cheerful and relatable for a year or so to get me by.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seen an ad on fb for a 2004 Skoda Octavia 1.4. 109k miles, nct until may. Under 1k€
    I had a few passats from around that year and were always reliable and cheap for parts when needed.
    Anyone any experience with these skoda’s?
    My own car is hanging by a thread and don’t have a lot of money for a new one right now so looking cheap cheerful and relatable for a year or so to get me by.

I'd much prefer the 1.6 to be honest.

Saying that it's a Skoda so built quite well.

The 1.4 weren't the best though as known through the golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

A member of our finest involved in tax avoidance?
    Tut tut.

No, it’s evasion he’s involved in. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I'd much prefer the 1.6 to be honest.

Saying that it's a Skoda so built quite well.

The 1.4 weren't the best though as known through the golf.
    Had an Octavia mk1 1.6 years ago.
    Very nice car but had to replace the gearbox because the diff failed and punched a hole in the casing.
    Knew a taxi driver who put several hundred thousand km on a 1.4 mk1 without issue. I always thought it would be underpowered for the job but he liked it.

No, it’s evasion he’s involved in. :pac:
    It’s a fine line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Had an Octavia mk1 1.6 years ago.
    Very nice car but had to replace the gearbox because the diff failed and punched a hole in the casing.
    Knew a taxi driver who put several hundred thousand km on a 1.4 mk1 without issue. I always thought it would be underpowered for the job but he liked it.

I put over 240k miles from new on a 1.4 mk5 golf over 15 years. Both myself and wife really liked the car. Plenty of wear and tear parts and window regulators., but no engine issues bar a set of coil packs and a fuel pump. Saying that it was serviced every 10k miles and you have to keep an eye on the oil level and top up. We have a 1.4vvti corolla now and we find it only marginally more powerful, I think it has 20 more hp.

gooner99 wrote: »
    I put over 240k miles from new on a 1.4 mk5 golf over 15 years from new. Both myself and wife really liked the car. Plenty of wear and tear parts and window regulators., but no engine issues bar a set of coil packs and a fuel pump. Saying that it was serviced every 10k miles and you have to keep an eye on the oil level and top up. We have a 1.4vvti corolla now and we find it only marginally more powerful, I think it has 20 more hp.
    I’m not sure the 1.4 in a mk5 golf would be the same (or even a development of) the 1.4 in a mk1 Octavia but it all comes down to good maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I’m not sure the 1.4 in a mk5 golf would be the same (or even a development of) the 1.4 in a mk1 Octavia but it all comes down to good maintenance.

Yeah I think it's the same one. I had the same 74hp engine in a mk4 golf before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KeepingUp27

Thanks for all the info folks. Think it’s worth a viewing anyway and fingers crossed all is as it says on the tin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Thanks for all the info folks. Think it’s worth a viewing anyway and fingers crossed all is as it says on the tin

It's really not.

2004 1.4 octavia with a bit of test till May for nearly a grand. Sub €500 is all it's worth at most.

You could do so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

It's really not.

2004 1.4 octavia with a bit of test till May for nearly a grand. Sub €500 is all it's worth at most.

You could do so much better.

I'd have thought the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

e39 touring with leather and full service history for €750. Looks very decent at that money

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24146693

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

e39 touring with leather and full service history for €750. Looks very decent at that money

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24146693

If that was within an hour of me I'd down and paying full asking just to have it sitting on my driveway, for €750 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

If that was within an hour of me I'd down and paying full asking just to have it sitting on my driveway, for €750 :eek:

Same, if I was after a runaround. Love how tourings are always better kept than their saloon counterparts because they aren’t cool enough for boy racer type

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That actually looks nice. Most of them were in bits by the time their first NCT came around. Not a bad car for a learner driver starting off

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-d5-s-winter-pack/24168894

ZTMyODQ0NDkzYmY0OTk1MWQyYTU3ZTVkYjgwZGY4NWWE5RBgUO55-IDUp6tpNep-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDE2MTU5MzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking D5 V70 with 11 months test and a few weeks tax, €950

Seems a well looked after car. Claimed full history

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tax-amp-nct-end-july-2020-toyota-avensis/24095700?campaign=3

NzdlYzJjYTgwMjhiMmUwYWYyYzQ0OTUwNWY4YTM2YmUeLaQ3-zRtTFvPLZfhg3KmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDEwMTc1ODV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

02 Avensis with tax and test til the end of July, €550

Same owner since 05.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

2010 Subaru Outback
    Tax 11/20
    Nct 06/20
    €1,999

Pity the NCT isn't longer, but could be worth a punt.

If you don't like the look of the rear bumper you can get a secondhand one for about €150. Rest of the car looks tidy.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-outback-2-0-tds-4-wheel-drive/24170928

rizzodun wrote: »
    2010 Subaru Outback
    Tax 11/20
    Nct 06/20
    €1,999

Pity the NCT isn't longer, but could be worth a punt.

If you don't like the look of the rear bumper you can get a secondhand one for about €150. Rest of the car looks tidy.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-outback-2-0-tds-4-wheel-drive/24170928
    What’s the Scooby diesel like with high mileage?

With any amount of mileage they are a ticking time bomb

I was wondering, saw a couple of late model Forester diesels for sale with “needs engine”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Whats the story with that engine anyway - was it made by Subaru or did they buy it in from another manufacturer ?

Nobody else uses boxer Diesel engines.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nobody else uses boxer Diesel engines.
    Probably for a good reason.

• Advertisement

Probably for a good reason.

Well, I guess for packaging reasons, and for the heritage they have with boxers, that was the logical way to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement