Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

con747 wrote: »
    Says one owner, last time it was bought was 3/7/08

He probably means he bought it with his own money and didn't need the wife to chip in.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

newboard wrote: »
    This isn't a bangernomics but spotted it while looking for a bangernomics. I was thinking of spending around 2k (ie bangernomics) but for an extra 1k to get a much younger car, much nicer looking than average, and good tax, does it make sense?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/11-ford-mondeo-nctd-and-tax/25199614

Woefully underpowered engine for a car that size. Those are a PSA derived unit and not the most reliable. If you want a diesel Mondeo, do yourself a favour and get a 2 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

almostover wrote: »
    Woefully underpowered engine for a car that size. Those are a PSA derived unit and not the most reliable. If you want a diesel Mondeo, do yourself a favour and get a 2 litre.

Thank you. I'm not looking for any make/model in particular, just want something that looks smart and will be reliable and somewhat economical to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

con747 wrote: »
    Says one owner, last time it was bought was 3/7/08

Could be an import?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Pretty sure the 2.0 and 2.2 are PSA derived too. The 2.0 is definitely a step up in reliability but the 2.2 is a bit problematic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Pretty sure the 2.0 and 2.2 are PSA derived too. The 2.0 is definitely a step up in reliability but the 2.2 is a bit problematic too.

Thank you. I'm not looking for any make/model in particular, just want something that looks smart and will be reliable and somewhat economical to run.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-honda-accord-2-2cdtisportnct-11-20clean/25173080

This might suit you so......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭TigerTim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

ZmVlNjVkYjNkMGNhMDE3ODcwNGJiN2YzNWFmOTU3OWQqkgURv3kIRJbf8aHo_prTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDkxMzg0NDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

As much as I detest the photos on this advert, it would be worth a look if anyone is looking for an estate
    2006 Volvo V50 2 litre diesel
    Taxed until the end of the year and NCT until February 2021
    Folder of receipts including timing belt and a decent set of tyres also
    Price is a bit strong though. Would be a nice buy at maybe 1250
    Asking €1500

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

newboard wrote:
    Spotted this one, any thoughts?

Yea, run ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Babyladyzoda

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Realistically, you're looking at around 2005 and earlier as diesel cars that are "relatively straightforward", but the best thing to do is post here if you have any cars that you are unsure of and there is plenty of people here willing to help and advise.

Would this model be likely to have DPF or flywheel issues?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thank you. 2.2L, would that not be pricey to run?

NjE4YjlkYTQ2NWQyZDM3Mjg5NWU1ODNmYzA1M2RkZjAuGU48p-LKX9pfy4opvJG5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDk5ODIyMDh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-insignia-2-0cdi-130ps-eco-great-condition/25151900

Absolute dirt

It's impossible to say it won't develop problems in the future but Kia are a reliable make in general and it looks like a well looked after car at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

NjE4YjlkYTQ2NWQyZDM3Mjg5NWU1ODNmYzA1M2RkZjAuGU48p-LKX9pfy4opvJG5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDk5ODIyMDh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-insignia-2-0cdi-130ps-eco-great-condition/25151900

It's been well minded, but 212,000 miles on one of those.....
    €2000 overpriced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is there a €2,000 limit on the thread or has it been extended?

Is there a €2,000 limit on the thread or has it been extended?

I've created a new thread instead, thanks

As far as I'm aware, this model has no DPF or DMF, but maybe @colm_mcm or somebody can confirm

Those accords will do 45mpg handy enough and most importantly be reliable. Insignia have a terrible reputation for reliability. That accord I posted, if genuine, would be a lovely car. Insignia are cheap for a reason. Spending €10 a week extra on fuel is nothing for reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Insignias of that vintage are just dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I'm aware, this model has no DPF or DMF, but maybe @colm_mcm or somebody can confirm

You’re correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-skoda-octavia-estate-1-9-l-diesel/25211135

NWY5YWU1MTcxM2ZhNzMxNGQ4MWNiZTdlNTYxOTU1ODYtVRrz5HwlvhqlmFagcK7aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTAwNTc5MzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

09 Octavia diesel estate, NCT til February 2021, 1 previous owner, €1250

This looks very nice for the money, tidy looking example

Those accords will do 45mpg handy enough and most importantly be reliable. Insignia have a terrible reputation for reliability. That accord I posted, if genuine, would be a lovely car. Insignia are cheap for a reason. Spending €10 a week extra on fuel is nothing for reliability.

Thanks. First car was a civic and I've always liked Hondas, it might be a little too sporty looking for me though at this stage, but 45pmg on diesel does sound good.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-1-9-tdi-vrs/25195578

ZjJmMGUyMjg5YTk2YWQ1YmVlMjMzOGFmNTgwMTI5MjhcOmTNHiqxqUYtLftyAJ8VaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDk5MjY5MTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Fabia VRS with 12 months NCT and tax til August, same owner for the last 11 years, €1700

Unfortunate mark on the door but that wouldn't take away from it too much for me. What are these like?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-1-9-tdi-vrs/25195578

ZjJmMGUyMjg5YTk2YWQ1YmVlMjMzOGFmNTgwMTI5MjhcOmTNHiqxqUYtLftyAJ8VaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDk5MjY5MTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Fabia VRS with 12 months NCT and tax til August, same owner for the last 11 years, €1700

Unfortunate mark on the door but that wouldn't take away from it too much for me. What are these like?

Great find

Pity the colour...red or blue are nicer

That engine with few mods and remapped is easily waked up if desired

Original 130 hp and huge torque plus amazing mpg helping the sixt gear on motorway

In spain one friend of mine had one and he upgraded brake system with an audi tt donor

Service is a must and also using specific pump engine oil

Dual mass here? Could be expensive

The white on the seats are a good indicator of what life they had

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-skoda-octavia-estate-1-9-l-diesel/25211135

Nice find. That's a lot of car for €1250

Nice find. That's a lot of car for €1250

Just checked, and it has had the same owner since 2012 too. Makes it more appealing IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Babyladyzoda

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’re correct.

Sound. Going to see it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Are insignias really as bad as people say? 2 of my siblings have been driving them for years with no issue. Loads of them on the roads too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Are insignias really as bad as people say? 2 of my siblings have been driving them for years with no issue. Loads of them on the roads too.

My next door neighbour had one that had to be rescued frequently. It was not that old either.

I would not touch an Opel, and even less a Vauxhall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

That same owner has being trying to sell that on and off for the last year he's owned it since 2012. He had it up around 3 grand for ages.

Finally it's priced right and it does look to be a clean well minded example. Being a combi makes it stand out a bit too.

Great find.

Edit: just seen ye checked the last ownership change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are insignias really as bad as people say? 2 of my siblings have been driving them for years with no issue. Loads of them on the roads in the scrapyards too.
    Fixed it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

In hindsight I'm not so sure the accord diesel at bangernomics money is "bullet proof" . Anecdotally at least I know a lot of the pre 2008 models, none with massive mileage, suffered failure of dual mass flywheel and they were scrapped due to perceived uneconomical repair costs. And I notice there are not many left on the road. Old petrol accords do seem to go forever alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

rn wrote: »
    In hindsight I'm not so sure the accord diesel at bangernomics money is "bullet proof" . Anecdotally at least I know a lot of the pre 2008 models, none with massive mileage, suffered failure of dual mass flywheel and they were scrapped due to perceived uneconomical repair costs. And I notice there are not many left on the road. Old petrol accords do seem to go forever alright.

Indeed, mother in law has a 04 from almost new, ex demo. A really great car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

No personal experience of them. Car Mechanics magazine had one as a project car in 2018 and it broke their heart. Everything broke on it, twice.

The issues are still up on the RB Digital app if you want to download them

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

2003 Renault Clio nct 12/20 €1250 38000 miles..

C.A.G cars

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    No personal experience of them. Car Mechanics magazine had one as a project car in 2018 and it broke their heart. Everything broke on it, twice.

The issues are still up on the RB Digital app if you want to download them

Unreal wasn't it? The costs were shocking when the project finally finished.

Cracked exhaust manifolds filling the cabin with fumes was another favourite..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-8-honda-civic/25170989

NjRhNDc2MThkMzk2ZGFjYjVjZjdiNDAxNzgzZmQ4YzV-abhSWdde4j3vPeFd5n_baHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDk4NjMxMTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Rough and ready 1.8 Type S Civic, tax til August, test til November, 1 previous owner, €895

Doesn't look too bad for the money really!

So it was washed and bumped up to 1295...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

So it was washed and bumped up to 1295...

the duck tap is a bit of a buzz killer, a bit of ceramic coating on the greyed trim and would look 10 times better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Unreal wasn't it? The costs were shocking when the project finally finished.

Absolutely. The editor even said people were joking him about it at a car show. Ended up being something like £13k for a 10 year old Insignia. You wouldn't pay that for a 2 year old one!

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,826 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The tyre looks balder than Mr. evil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Notch000 wrote: »

the duck tap is a bit of a buzz killer, a bit of ceramic coating on the greyed trim and would look 10 times better

Holy jeebus, the ignorance of that repair is astounding. Have they not heard of epoxy or polyester resin to fix the clips in place?

There are proprietary grey paints for those plastic bits - I'd doubt a clear coating would do anything more than make it shiny as well as faded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Disgraceful to have that in a showroom, just fix the fecking thing. Do people have no pride anymore?

• Advertisement

In hindsight I'm not so sure the accord diesel at bangernomics money is "bullet proof" . Anecdotally at least I know a lot of the pre 2008 models, none with massive mileage, suffered failure of dual mass flywheel and they were scrapped due to perceived uneconomical repair costs. And I notice there are not many left on the road.

Would this apply to 2008+ diesel models as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

My wife had an 09 Insignia for about four years. She bought it when it was about three years old, because she "liked the look of it" more than the look of other cars that I thought would be a better buy.

It probably gave more trouble during those four years than every other car I've ever had myself, plus every car she's had during the time I've known her, all put together. And that's 25 years of me owning a car and nearly 15 years of knowing her, so almost 40 years worth of car ownership altogether.

Can't remember what the last straw was, because there were so many breakdowns, but she eventually traded it for a Hyundai ix35. No issues with that yet, and she's had it almost four years now too. Big change from the Insignia!

So, long story short - AVOID INSIGNIAS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

noelf wrote: »
    2003 Renault Clio nct 12/20 €1250 38000 miles..

C.A.G cars

In good condition - but I can't figure out what Renault were at when they didn't bother switching the wipers to RHD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

FGR wrote: »
    In good condition - but I can't figure out what Renault were at when they didn't bother switching the wipers to RHD!

I've a bmw that has the wipers the same. Left the factory that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Would this apply to 2008+ diesel models as well?

It shouldn't. But IME they hold their value so well you can usually get something else in much better nick for the same money. Any time I looked at one it was either too expensive or a shed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement