Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

FionnK86 wrote: »
    They're not included, wish they'd post what actually comes with car - steelers or whatever, they could've uploaded the pics at same time as posting the car.

I see that with a lot of northern lads (part time dealers). Pic of a car for a few grand, and the wheels look great on it. Click into the ad and it's "wheels come with it for £999 extra" and stupid stuff like that. :rolleyes:

I immediately click out and vow to never return to such a wanker of a seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I see that with a lot of northern lads (part time dealers). Pic of a car for a few grand, and the wheels look great on it. Click into the ad and it's "wheels come with it for £999 extra" and stupid stuff like that. :rolleyes:

I immediately click out and vow to never return to such a wanker of a seller.

What's even worse is the ads that block the yellow and black reg in initial picture, you're clicking away and then after getting your hopes up realise it's an English reg, the price was in pounds and you can add another 50% on to it to convert to euro if she's a diesel.

These ads should be banned off an Irish website or at least have their own section.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Crankshaft failure is the most common thing as far as I know.

Crankshaft failure would be more than enough, without anything else failing....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-19-jtd-nctd/24312169

What price would you put on this? Big miles and only a month nct, but it looks clean in the photos. And anyone any idea about that clearly very backyard garage dealer selling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

About 6 or 700 quid IMO. The only thing going for it is the cheap(ish) tax, which is only about 100 quid cheaper than an identical car on cc tax.

You’ll buy a nice example with an decent stretch of test for that money.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-vw-golf-1-9-tdi-diesel-90-bhp-estate-nct-2-21/24406582

49636146426_9d175afb23_z.jpg

Diesel Golf estate with tax til May and a years test, €595

Roof bars and all. A grand handy old yoke for the money

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v50/24406104

ODJhZDljYzg5MjI2YTY4MmY3ZWVkMWQyNTdiNzM3Njk3GlmqrC6xPwJrzguum4U4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDM1NzQ2ODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2.4 5 cyl V50 with NCT til September, €600

You'll be owner #8, looks a decent thing for the money if you don't mind the tax.

About 6 or 700 quid IMO. The only thing going for it is the cheap(ish) tax, which is only about 100 quid cheaper than an identical car on cc tax.

700 is optimistic in my opinion, it is a lovely looking car but it's an Alfa and the mileage must be in the top couple of % that are still on the road.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

rosie16 wrote: »
    What are Subaru estates like? Is there a loading on insurance for them?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-subaru-legacy-awd-new-nct-test/24390881
    jmreire wrote: »
    What was the specific fault (s) with their diesel engine?

Selous had a nightmare with one a few years ago :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97780430

( Seemed to be 'normal' for a diesel Subaru :mad: )

700 is optimistic in my opinion, it is a lovely looking car but it's an Alfa and the mileage must be in the top couple of % that are still on the road.

I agree, I was a bit too generous. 5 or 600 at a push would be more realistic

• Advertisement

But in general, what are the Alfa's like ? Reliability? Costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I had a gt with that same engine before, I got on very well with it. Dmfs, turbo swirl flaps, and gearboxs not able for the torque are the common problems with that engine afaik, but at a grand or less its off to the scrapper obv if any of them issues happen.

A friend of mine bought a brand new one about 15 years ago, he took me for a spin in it and I thought I heard a little rattle in low gears.

He brought it back and explained the concern, rattle was sorted.

No word of a lie, upon examination the main dealer had added a plastic tie wrap to the exhaust holder.

A friend of mine bought a brand new one about 15 years ago, he took me for a spin in it and I thought I heard a little rattle in low gears.

He brought it back and explained the concern, rattle was sorted.

No word of a lie, upon examination the main dealer had added a plastic tie wrap to the exhaust holder.

Where would we be without the miraculous plastic tie's ???? ;););) But aside from that, how did he find it afterward's? did he keep it long?

Where would we be without the miraculous plastic tie's ???? ;););) But aside from that, how did he find it afterward's? did he keep it long?

He had it for about 18 months of low mileage use in total before he gladly sold it at a massive loss.

He had it for about 18 months of low mileage use in total before he gladly sold it at a massive loss.

Nuff said.....pity though, they look fine, typical Italian design, and the Italians have produced some fine cars. Pity about the Alfa mechanical engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I actually went to check this out about a month ago. Mileage is actually 196k as far as I remember. Was in grand condition but gear changes were mushy and hard to find 2nd/4th!
    Mercedes were routinely criticised by Motor journalists back then for their sloppy manual gearboxes and long travel clutches.
    Might have been normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Nuff said.....pity though, they look fine, typical Italian design, and the Italians have produced some fine cars. Pity about the Alfa mechanical engineering.

We ran a 2007 159 (1.8 mpi) for about 3 years without an issue. We bought it for near bangernomics money so we werent going to spend too much on it. We scrapped it at the end, not because it needed anything too expensive to fix but that it simply wasnt worth it. It had some corrosion to rear sills and front sub frame which seems to be an issue for them.

If I got a nice clean one I'd think I'd give it a go again - but not a petrol one. It's a heavy car that needs the torque of the diesel to make it sparkle.

Only 50,000km with new brakes, new tyre's, 5 months tax and a long test.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-opel-tigra-1-4-petrol-test-and-taxlow-kmswap/24304902

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It might even be cool one day, if you keep it long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I had the 159 1.9 jtdm - had it for about a year before the camshaft sprocket broke. They're a lovely looking car and a great drive, I'd definitely do it all over again at the right money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Only 50,000km with new brakes, new tyre's, 5 months tax and a long test.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-opel-tigra-1-4-petrol-test-and-taxlow-kmswap/24304902

One for the ladies!

Looking at a 2007 320i, how are those engines meant to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Looking at a 2007 320i, how are those engines meant to be?

Slow, dull, meh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Big consumers of coilpacks them ones aren't they?

Slow, dull, meh

320i engine is still better than 90% of what other people drive! Quick enough, reliable enough, I'd prefer the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

320i engine is still better than 90% of what other people drive! Quick enough, reliable enough, I'd prefer the diesel.

Dog slow , especially when paired with an auto box.

jharr100 wrote: »
    Dog slow , especially when paired with an auto box.

They’re not dog slow. Faster than most cars being sold today. They’re over 160bhp. I wouldn’t consider that slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭donalh087

http://https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-sport-saloon/24282253

Interested in this Mazda 6 - seems like a fair price. Any thoughts or things to look out for?
    The other alternative is an Insignia, for a bit more moolah is below. A year fresher, same milage - would you go the extra?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vauxhall-insignia/24070576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

They’re not dog slow. Faster than most cars being sold today. They’re over 160bhp. I wouldn’t consider that slow.

Horsepower doesn't mean speed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement