Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

And it's miraculously shed 10k miles.

Either way it looks like a car that has served its previous owners well with that mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I noticed the mileage difference alright but my feeling is that if someone was going to clock they would shave more than 10k off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

1874 wrote: »
    That Volvo looks very clean for a 14 year old car, unfortunately insurance companies would probably have a field day with quotes.
    Any ideas what the 1.8 petrol an car overall is like? are they a flex fuel engine, Ive heard of issues with them, but not sure what it was offhand OR if this is one.
    Is it slightly highly priced?

Insured mine 05 for under 500 euro with 123 just last month. That was new policy. Not renewal.

I did own that car for 3 years at that time, not sure if that matters, but they asked.

1874 wrote: »
    That Volvo looks very clean for a 14 year old car, unfortunately insurance companies would probably have a field day with quotes.
    Any ideas what the 1.8 petrol an car overall is like? are they a flex fuel engine, Ive heard of issues with them, but not sure what it was offhand OR if this is one.
    Is it slightly highly priced?

Some like a drop of oil, but you could be lucky and get one that doesn't and no that wouldn't be the flex fuel engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Some like a drop of oil, but you could be lucky and get one that doesn't and no that wouldn't be the flex fuel engine.

Lucky? that doesnt sound encouraging, any warning signs if it likes to consume oil? how can you tell its not a flexifuel do you mind? is it the badging on the boot, I couldnt really make it out but it looks like it says 1.8 re the engine size, I dont know if the flexifuel engined versions have other markings there, i think the fuel cap is yellow or there are stickers to highlight flexfuel, but not visible from the pictures, looks clean overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No warning signs for burning oil. Just check the level regularly and top up as required.

Only ones after 08 are flexi fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The flexifuel ones are badged 1.8F as well I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-xc70-awd/24508090

€750 above limit, but on sale for 12 days and 2k might tempt him. NCT valid until September, auto, cream leather, one owner looks good to me.

High tax but some lump of a car for the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-xc70-awd/24508090

€750 above limit, but on sale for 12 days and 2k might tempt him. NCT valid until September, auto, cream leather, one owner looks good to me.

High tax but some lump of a car for the money

Some yoke alright, something wrong with a system that has that worth 2.5K (Assuming it's as described).
    What was that worth new, 50 K?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Some yoke alright, something wrong with a system that has that worth 2.5K (Assuming it's as described).
    What was that worth new, 50 K?

He'll be a long time waiting to get 2.5k for that, it's a 12 year old 2.4d car with over 200k miles on it and no tax.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

kalkat2002 wrote: »

Nice car, import though

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nice car, import though

What difference does that make on an 07 car?
    (Or even any car)
    FWIW, it was imported an awful long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Them hideous long chunky import reg numbers would put me off, genuinely.

They're nearly a nod to the nation's motoring history and might be cool one day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What difference does that make on an 07 car?
    (Or even any car)
    Personally speaking each and every UK imported car I ever viewed underneath, of which there have being a considerable few were ruined with corrosion. Now you might argue that all that was a very unlikely coincidence but rightly or wrongly so it would very much put me off buying or even viewing a UK import.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Personally speaking each and every UK imported car I ever viewed underneath, of which there have being a considerable few were ruined with corrosion. Now you might argue that all that was a very unlikely coincidence but rightly or wrongly so it would very much put me off buying or even viewing a UK import.

They put a lot of salt on the roads which rots the underside of cars. Newer cars are more resistant, but not totally. Also, hosing down the underside is a good idea, but how many do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

He'll be a long time waiting to get 2.5k for that, it's a 12 year old 2.4d car with over 200k miles on it and no tax.

Why would a genuine Irish car have miles? Or is it because it looks better. I'd say if you waved 2k in notes under his snout you'd be driving away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Why would a genuine Irish car have miles? Or is it because it looks better. I'd say if you waved 2k in notes under his snout you'd be driving away.

Because 203,000 miles looks less than 326,700 km's.

If I was in the market for a 2k car that wouldn't be anywhere near the list never mind on the shortlist.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

They put a lot of salt on the roads which rots the underside of cars.
    I know. Traditionally speaking cars from the greater London region would have being the worst but that may no longer be the case in more recent years.
    Newer cars are more resistant, but not totally.
    Maybe so and possibly depends on the model but I wouldn't be overly convinced for all. I viewed UK imported 2010 Auris and 2011 Mondeo about 2 years ago and both were in a right bad way underneath with advanced corrosion. A few insuiated since to me since that I was incorrect or at least may have being mistaken as Toyotas should not rust like that but believe me it was in a bad state.
    Also, hosing down the underside is a good idea, but how many do so?
    Yep. The English would generally be better when it comes to care care than us but in reality I would say very few overall very few would get the underside hosed down properly often enough in the Winter months.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/11-ford-mondeo-2-0-diesel-nct-01-21-tax-04-20/24563975
    This looks like it might be worth a punt.
    2011 Mondeo 2.0 diesel;
    280k KM;
    NCT 01/2021 and a few weeks tax;
    280 EUR tax p.a.
    Timing belt and water pump done were told
    Asking 1,950 EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/11-ford-mondeo-2-0-diesel-nct-01-21-tax-04-20/24563975
    This looks like it might be worth a punt.
    2011 Mondeo 2.0 diesel;
    280k KM;
    NCT 01/2021 and a few weeks tax;
    280 EUR tax p.a.
    Timing belt and water pump done were told
    Asking 1,950 EUR

I really like the styling of those Mondeos, do those 2 litres give any trouble? Also the faded Ford badge on the front would drive me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Them hideous long chunky import reg numbers would put me off, genuinely.

They're nearly a nod to the nation's motoring history and might be cool one day though.

I do like the fact that someone, at some stage, went to the effort of putting metal plates on it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/video-tour-camry-auto-tax-8-20-nct-9-20/24496229

ZDExOGNiNGQ2N2FlNGIxOWFlNzhlZjAwODQzYjA5ODLZlsG6olmodBdMQkPNobBcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDQ0NDcwNzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

03 Camry, same owner since 04, main dealer seller, NCT til September and tax til August - €1750

Yes, its a bit expensive, but I really like the look of this. Interesting video attached too, your man is good at his job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

03 Camry, same owner since 04, main dealer seller, NCT til September and tax til August - €1750

I've had one, and miss it to some extent, but that car is still a grand overpriced.

Nice bus, dont think I could stomach 12 minutes of yer man talking ****e though.

Nice bus, dont think I could stomach 12 minutes of yer man talking ****e though.

Major Bob Flavin vibes from the video!

Ah in fairness, yer man is much better than Bob Flavin.

Not much going on since quarantine so I watched the whole thing. I like his style and I do like the car. The car is actually a bit haggard with the rusty arches, bumper scuffs, cracked windshield etc which takes away from the pitch as it isn't mint and you're paying mint condition money.

I'd say that car is standing them €250 max. There'll probably be more profit in that yoke than half the retail stuff on the forecourt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He says they don't make big cars like it anymore???? Eh the Camry !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement