Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Sorry I really meant cars with NCT's expiring before the 28th that were last tested around a year ago and didn't have the opportunity to get a new NCT. The lift-less tests complicates matters even further, but yeah I assume would be ok to drive one you have your partial cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-9-diesel/24649950

105bhp 1.9tdi mk5 golf
    2 owner car, Current lady has it since September 2008
    Test till August
    Nice colour
    Interior looks clean and the seats aren't showing much wear
    Terrible ad
    Poor pictures
    I'd say this could be a very honest car
    Asking €650

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'98 A6
    1.9 diesel
    Squeezes in on NCT requirement

Looks legit and very clean

Asking €895

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-tax-amp-tested/24651445

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'00 Corolla
    NCT July '20
    Tax December '20
    137k miles

Looks legit, despite the discrepancy between his claimed owners am the actual amount of owners.

Asking €550

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-terra-saloon-2000/24650350

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Sorry I really meant cars with NCT's expiring before the 28th that were last tested around a year ago and didn't have the opportunity to get a new NCT. The lift-less tests complicates matters even further, but yeah I assume would be ok to drive one you have your partial cert.

I've been through 3 check points with my partial test cert and not a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How does that work if all the NCT centres are locked down?

My NCT is out the beginning of next month and I do not know what the position is.

This thread was meant to be about posting up a car that you'd use, that's road worthy for under 2k.

The NCT exemption, should really just help people who already owned the car, to get through the next couple of months. It's a bit stupid to focus on cars without an NCT now, knowing you can't get it tested, regardless of that exemption.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This thread was meant to be about posting up a car that you'd use, that's road worthy for under 2k.

The NCT exemption, should really just help people who already owned the car, to get through the next couple of months. It's a bit stupid to focus on cars without an NCT now, knowing you can't get it tested, regardless of that exemption.

That is fair enough but most cars in this thread will be due a test every year, and a test due soon is likely to be common. A car due a test in this month or just out will have its cert extended by four months. How can that be valued?

Difficult to buy a car just now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That is fair enough but most cars in this thread will be due a test every year, and a test due soon is likely to be common. A car due a test in this month or just out will have its cert extended by four months. How can that be valued?

Most people here wouldn't look at a car with sub 3 months NCT, as a genuine seller would have most likely put it through. So unless you're able to get your hands greasy, just walk on. There's still cars you can get, with plenty of NCT on them. So just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

That is fair enough but most cars in this thread will be due a test every year, and a test due soon is likely to be common.

Especially given the previous backlog from lift issues.

In terms of Bangernomics OH just bought a Citroen C1 2012 for 2k, 1 owner from new, service history, 30,000km, NCT just out on 29th Mar.
    It is very basic spec, windy windows and all, but grand little yoke.
    Her own car had broke and mine is giving trouble and we had temporarily borrowed a car but it was kind of necessary to get one ourselves, otherwise wouldn't be looking currently given the circumstances.
    Sourced from a friends granny who is no longer driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Great news about this extension of four month's! Where did you hear about it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shane Ross announced it yesterday, it was also on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

bazz26 wrote: »
    Shane Ross announced it yesterday, it was also on the news.

bazz26, My post was tongue in cheek. If you look at post's 4189/4192 you will know what I mean. I consider a poster who won't give a thumb's up, to someone who bothered to reply to a query, the same as letting a car out in traffic. The driver has their nose so far up their ass they would not lower themselves to acknowledge the fact you helped them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

KB22 wrote: »
    bazz26, My post was tongue in cheek. If you look at post's 4189/4192 you will know what I mean. I consider a poster who won't give a thumb's up, to someone who bothered to reply to a query, the same as letting a car out in traffic. The driver has their nose so far up their ass they would not lower themselves to acknowledge the fact you helped them!

I missed the post, but I did follow the advice to check gov.ie and through a very tortuous path came across the extension. It is not obvious on the gov.ie site.

I frequently let cars out in traffic in the hope others will let me out. If more did this, traffic would flow more freely. I also tend to drive in the 'slow' lane on the N7 as it is usually empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I missed the post, but I did follow the advice to check gov.ie and through a very tortuous path came across the extension. It is not obvious on the gov.ie site.

I frequently let cars out in traffic in the hope others will let me out. If more did this, traffic would flow more freely. I also tend to drive in the 'slow' lane on the N7 as it is usually empty.

Oh Jesus, catch those worms quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

New NCT ?

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Nil_fhios_agam

New NCT ?

Weirdly, it's actually a 1986 car! Is this to do with the chage of old to new registration formats?

Make : DAIHATSU
    Model : CHARADE
    Year : 1986
    Colour : BLUE
    NCT Due Date : 28/04/2021
    Service Type : Periodic Inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

New NCT ?

2 years on stuff over 30 so could have been tested last year

Edit: Just read the "new nct" part in the add. Seems strange alright

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Nil_fhios_agam

Peter T wrote: »
    2 years on stuff over 30 so could have been tested last year

Edit: Just read the "new nct" part in the add. Seems strange alright

Could have been tested 90 days in advance and just before nct test centres closed in a centre with a new lift

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Wouldn't it have a test till 2022 then if that was the case ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

That Charade is up for sale a good while now.
    They probably listed it with fresh NCT originally and never changed the ad
    It came up here a couple of months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-saloon-2005-1-4-d4d-nct/24603892?campaign=6

Father in law on the look out for a banger to last a year or 2. He’s 65 and wants a yoke just to do 3-5k a year. The runs he does are long when he goes. Back to his home place Limerick to Longford. So the car would get a regular clear out of diesel.

Thoughts on the above car? It’s local which is key in current climate.

I’d prob prefer him to have petrol but not much about as local.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Personally I think would be better off with a 02/03 era Audi A4 or A6 TDI. You’ll pick one up with NCT for a grand, and he can put the savings towards the tax.

Obviously in these trying times it might be as easy to go out and buy something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-saloon-2005-1-4-d4d-nct/24603892?campaign=6

Father in law on the look out for a banger to last a year or 2. He’s 65 and wants a yoke just to do 3-5k a year. The runs he does are long when he goes. Back to his home place Limerick to Longford. So the car would get a regular clear out of diesel.

Thoughts on the above car? It’s local which is key in current climate.

I’d prob prefer him to have petrol but not much about as local.

Might be tempting at half the price but no way is that worth near what the seller is asking.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The Corolla looks in bits, the two drivers side doors are badly damaged and it looks like the drivers side rear quarter panel has been repaired badly before.

Mileage is very high which wouldn't put me off in itself as they are well capable of it, that coupled with the damage and only 3 months NCT on it though, IMO it's really worth €6-800, €1480 is way too much for it, even €1k would be too much for it.

I wouldnt rush into that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2006-nct-october-2020-/24506838

How about the above Corolla? Looks to be a neater example, a year newer, lower mileage, over €500 cheaper, longer test and the proper fuel. Given the mileage he is doing any savings he makes on fuel with the diesel version will be absolutely negligible. I limited my search to Munster and to saloon versions as guessing he may rather the shape of the saloon if he is of the older generation.

There are actually a few nicer hatchbacks out there too for under €1,500 and they are more practical at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1.6 Avensis really. Comfier, massively safer than a Corolla of the same vintage, better equipped.

You would get a Renault Fluence for a little bit more money, it's a much fresher and safer design than that model Corolla. They are also very reliable and comfortable.

This one has been on sale for a while and the seller's name seem to change with each advert but it could still be a decent enough car and looks tidier than that Corolla:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-renault-fluence-1-5-dci-saloon/24564566

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

bazz26 wrote: »
    You would get a Renault Fluence for a little bit more money, it's a much fresher and safer design than that model Corolla. They are also very reliable and comfortable.

This one has been on sale for a while and the seller's name seem to change with each advert but it could still be a decent enough car and looks tidier than that Corolla:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-renault-fluence-1-5-dci-saloon/24564566

Are they expensive to maintain, service, parts, timing belt, etc?

• Advertisement

gooner99 wrote: »
    Are they expensive to maintain, service, parts, timing belt, etc?

No more than any other similar car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement