Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why would you want the Fiesta hanging around then?

She prefers the handling of the c max until she finds something newer and I will rally the fiesta ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Stephen?? 🀣

Yep!! Doesn't live too far away from me. I've a neighbour driving there too, Derek.. do you know him?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    She prefers the handling of the c max until she finds something newer and I will rally the fiesta ;)

Just throwing it up to test the waters then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yep!! Doesn't live too far away from me. I've a neighbour driving there too, Derek.. do you know him?

I think I know the lad you're talking about? Had a Mondeo and now drives an Octavia?

That was some mileage that little panda done everyday. And as far as I'm aware just got traded as he wanted to go up the years a bit. Not a bother on the car. All that driving done it the world of good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Bit of help lads looking at a cheap car at the moment just wondering if I do a history check what exactly does it check ,looking for the vin number so I can check the engine code before travelling to see the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

crasy dash wrote: »
    Bit of help lads looking at a cheap car at the moment just wondering if I do a history check what exactly does it check ,looking for the vin number so I can check the engine code before travelling to see the car

If you want to give me the reg I should be able to get the VIN for you

99% of the time motorcheck etc won’t give it on a report. It has to be verified and very few people bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

If you want to give me the reg I should be able to get the VIN for you

99% of the time motorcheck etc won’t give it on a report. It has to be verified and very few people bother

Cheers Duke really appreciate that I'll pm you it there in a minute

1997 opel corsa low mileage 500 eur
    http://www.adverts.ie/20515400

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That car is worth about €50 not €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Hoping to go down the bangernomics route soon and I am leaning towards a CLK200 (06/07) or E200 (07 facelift - ), however some of the cleaner/ more expensive models have had the chain replaced.

Is this issue widespread in the 1.8k engine? Still see plenty with big miles so might not be as common an issue as I fear.

Worst case scenario, is there a preventative fix for the chain issues like with the BMW one?

Its common enough, and certain years (2000 - 2004) its almost guaranteed. Im not sure when it was definitively solved, but 2006+ dont seem to have the issue. €750 seems average for the fix, which is fine if you price it in.

But they are an expensive car to run, even when everything works. Suspension consumables and electrics in the car can start getting very dear.

If you have the headroom in your budget to look after them they are a great car.

(sibling ran an E200 Komp from 2005 - 2018)

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-se-93-cabriolet-convertable/24949250

MjM4MTYwNjVmYjE4MTk3OTAyNmVjNjQ0ZGRjMjllZDSP3xYx4kKAwH8o5dJu-nk6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDc4NTI4MTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 9-3 cabriolet, tested til October, claimed 1 family owner from new (but 3 on the book), €1850

60k miles, nice south Dublin gravel'd driveway, what more could you want? Especially on a day like today

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta/24949447

NjRlMjVhZThhMDY4MWM5MWVmZTEwYzIyZDMxMDlkMWV2F2rVhMxQTqvgQDReXN6qaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDc4NTM4NTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Maybe I'm missing something, but this looks like it would clean up ok. Looks straight enough under the grime and bird ****e.

09 Mk7 Fiesta, 1.6 diesel, cheap tax, test til October, €1750. Same owner for the last 5 years. I think with a wash and a set of decent hubcaps it would look very respectable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its common enough, and certain years (2000 - 2004) its almost guaranteed. Im not sure when it was definitively solved, but 2006+ dont seem to have the issue. €750 seems average for the fix, which is fine if you price it in.

But they are an expensive car to run, even when everything works. Suspension consumables and electrics in the car can start getting very dear.

If you have the headroom in your budget to look after them they are a great car.

(sibling ran an E200 Komp from 2005 - 2018)

The brake SBC unit was problematic in that model ( w211) as well, but like the chain issue ( at about 100'000.mark ) may have been solved by then, I'm not sure. I know that at 120'000 Klms in my 2010 w212 E class, the timing chain and guides were replaced. The engine was the OM651 Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Bandito909 wrote: »
    I think I know the lad you're talking about? Had a Mondeo and now drives an Octavia?

That was some mileage that little panda done everyday. And as far as I'm aware just got traded as he wanted to go up the years a bit. Not a bother on the car. All that driving done it the world of good!

Yea that’s him, that mondeo was some pile of dung, cost him a bloody fortune. He’s on his second Octavia since that yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

Did a Cartell on this earlier if anyone wants to DM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    1997 opel corsa low mileage 500 eur
    http://www.adverts.ie/20515400

bazz26 wrote: »
    That car is worth about €50 not €500.

3dr though...

Surely get €300 for it on jon44w :pac:

I think if that Corsa was tidier it would be worth 3/400 quid. Bit of back to black on the trim, like of paint on the wheels and you could pull a Simon Deane special “tiny miles, two careful owners, future classic” etc

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-2003/24851884

ZGMyMTAzY2Q0NWNlNzM4YzI3ODg2MDU1MTQ1ZjZjNGVM6KAJm0Rs6bEUF2TcnKdxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDcxMTIwMDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 03 A3, only tested til August (but extended til December) but a nice bit of tax til September, €875

This was a 1 owner car until a few months ago. Looks tidy, I have a bit of a soft spot for these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Looks very clean for a 03
    Wonder why they are moving it on so soon with 3 months tax on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Looks very clean for a 03
    Wonder why they are moving it on so soon with 3 months tax on it too

Might have been a bangernomic purchase to tie em over until they got the car they really wanted. Hopefully that's their front garden in the pics too :D

• Advertisement

Could possibly be something like that alright.
    [EDIT]Just noticed... The tax was actually on it when they bought it. It was taxed for a year last September and changed owner in Feb this year, so it's not like they taxed it and are now moving it on, so I'd say it probably was just a stop-gap for somebody[/EDIT]

2007 audi a3 sportback 1350 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20527441

That seems decent value for a 07 diesel too. Looks like the owner has it for a couple of years at least
    Only fear here is if it's the BXE engine fitted

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    That seems decent value for a 07 diesel too. Looks like the owner has it for a couple of years at least
    Only fear here is if it's the BXE engine fitted

I had in spain a new golf v with bxe engine re-mapped for 6 years and no issues so kind of lottery...

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭donalh087

A bit of advice? Although I pretty much know the answer........

I bought a classic bangernomics car two months ago. 05 E200 Merc, 75,000 miles for €1,600. She drove beautifully and is the lap of luxury. Rock solid and feels so safe. I love it.

Yesterday she wouldn't start and had no compression. Got her to the garage and the mechanic just rang to say the timing chain had slipped. Repair will cost €2,000.

So, what to do now? Walk away from it and say it's a lesson learnt? Or take it on the chin because I will have to pay €2,00 for a replacement anyway?

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just buy another cheap car. No way I'd be spending 2k on repairing a 15 year old car which goes against the definition of bangernomics. Timing chains are common weaknesses on those Kompressor engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

donalh087 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-mercedes-e200-new-nct-01-21-low-miles-1-8/24249664

Quite tempted by this. Looks in good nick and a fair price. Any advice on what to look out for?
    They can be thirsty and make sure there's a timing chain replacement somewhere in that service history
    A bit of advice? Although I pretty much know the answer........

I bought a classic bangernomics car two months ago. 05 E200 Merc, 75,000 miles for €1,600. She drove beautifully and is the lap of luxury. Rock solid and feels so safe. I love it.

Yesterday she wouldn't start and had no compression. Got her to the garage and the mechanic just rang to say the timing chain had slipped. Repair will cost €2,000.

So, what to do now? Walk away from it and say it's a lesson learnt? Or take it on the chin because I will have to pay €2,00 for a replacement anyway?

Any thoughts?

Was it that one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭donalh087

Yes it was. With 75,000 miles I thought the chain was fine. Clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭barry181091

Yes it was. With 75,000 miles I thought the chain was fine. Clearly not.

I wonder, would the previous owner have known? Not that you have any recourse, just as a matter of interest. I presume it gave no indication of failure before this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

There are many times where it's worth throwing a few quid to keep a decent banger going (I've even swapped a gearbox on a €350 car, but only because I had one) because you know the car and its gonna cost you money anyway to replace it.

But this is not one of them! No point in throwing €2k at a €1500 merc. I'd gladly spend €750 on the timing chain as a preventive measure, but not on a repair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement