Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

donalh087 wrote: »
    A bit of advice? Although I pretty much know the answer........

I bought a classic bangernomics car two months ago. 05 E200 Merc, 75,000 miles for €1,600. She drove beautifully and is the lap of luxury. Rock solid and feels so safe. I love it.

Yesterday she wouldn't start and had no compression. Got her to the garage and the mechanic just rang to say the timing chain had slipped. Repair will cost €2,000.

So, what to do now? Walk away from it and say it's a lesson learnt? Or take it on the chin because I will have to pay €2,00 for a replacement anyway?

Any thoughts?

I recently bought a Saab for really good money.

Like you, it felt great. Unfortunately - the balance shaft was kaput. Overall I spent 1300 fixing a few issues on the car

however, while I spent waaay more than I thought to fix it up, the car is now solid and will go for years.

If the rest of the car seems fine, (ask your mechanic to go over it) then pay the money and enjoy it

I know some people say it isnt worth it, but there is value to be hand in knowing that once that big bill is over - you should have a very reliable and solid car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

^ what he says, I don't get the idea of taking 2k and gambling again on another car if the merc is solid other than repair suggested. I bought a 2k car before xmas and put about 1k in repairs into. At least now I know the state of the car and it should last me good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes it was. With 75,000 miles I thought the chain was fine. Clearly not.

Very likely on it's original chain so it was probably a ticking time bomb that unfortunately went off under your ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭barry181091

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    That seems decent value for a 07 diesel too. Looks like the owner has it for a couple of years at least
    Only fear here is if it's the BXE engine fitted

It's a BXE alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The problem is though what is a man to do if more issues arise after the 2 grand engine swap? Pump more money into it?

Theres a good long list of problems someone could encounter with a 2005 e class and plenty of costly maintenance to keep on top of too.

So the main thing to note is 2 grand is very unlikely to be the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

^ what he says, I don't get the idea of taking 2k and gambling again on another car if the merc is solid other than repair suggested. I bought a 2k car before xmas and put about 1k in repairs into. At least now I know the state of the car and it should last me good few years.

I agree, it's fine putting money into a car you know will be ok. But your example of putting a grand into a €2k car is nearly the opposite of what OP will need to do. That 2 grand is most likely a secondhand engine, so you are resetting the disaster timer, not removing it. Even if that bill is for full repair of existing engine, theres a load of other issues that could arise from the damage (OP mentioned loss of compression).
    That's before you factor in all the other expensive gizmos to go wrong in a 15 year merc.

It's a worthy ideal to stick with it, but it's bad bangernomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I bought a classic bangernomics car two months ago. 05 E200 Merc, 75,000 miles for €1,600. She drove beautifully and is the lap of luxury. Rock solid and feels so safe. I love it.

Yesterday she wouldn't start and had no compression. Got her to the garage and the mechanic just rang to say the timing chain had slipped. Repair will cost €2,000.

So, what to do now? Walk away from it and say it's a lesson learnt? Or take it on the chin because I will have to pay €2,00 for a replacement anyway?

Any thoughts?

Get another one, preferably with the chain fixed. Keep your own as a parts car.Did this with a car I'd a minor accident in before and had cheap motoring for a few years off it as a spares car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

My young lad did the same thing with 3 Puntos for his first few years of driving! Free parts forever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

almostover wrote: »
    Get another one, preferably with the chain fixed. Keep your own as a parts car.Did this with a car I'd a minor accident in before and had cheap motoring for a few years off it as a spares car.

Not a bad idea if you have the space....and a patient partner. Hopefully you won't end up with two cars with broken chains!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    My young lad did the same thing with 3 Puntos for his first few years of driving! Free parts forever :D

A great aul starter banger for the up and coming spanner twirler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Folks is there any free way of checking the mileage on a car? From the NCT maybe similar to MOT check you can do online? Eyeing a car on DD but want to check the mileage before calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nope.

Googling the reg can sometimes throw stuff up.
    Mileage at last NCT should be on the disc. Cert should show some previous test mileages too.

Link to the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Cant motorcheck, cartell, etc verify the mileage? Or are you looking to avoid paying the small. As Colm said, there's no public resource

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Yes it was. With 75,000 miles I thought the chain was fine. Clearly not.

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Not a bad idea if you have the space....and a patient partner. Hopefully you won't end up with two cars with broken chains!!
    Agreed, and sometimes the neighbors could get a bit snooty about it too, especially in a built up area. Cars being stripped like that can attract rats and other such rodents too. If you have the space though and not for an eternity though its not a bad plan.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-audi-a3-1-9-tdi-long-nct/24938992
    2008 Audi A3 1.9 TDI
    UK import;
    190k miles
    NCT 09/2020 (I wouldn't agree with the seller thats a long NCT, - short I would say);
    €200 p.a. motor tax;
    4 new tyres and timing belt done were told;
    Asking €1,999.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

It's a BXE alright!

Just a bit of a waffle so
    I know the Bxe engine is a mare of a thing from all accounts but when it's banger money are they worth the gamble just throwing this out here for opinions.
    Say if you bought a car for 1000-1200 and say got a bit of mileage out of it before it went bang.

Recently came across a car with a Bxe engine and that put me off it even though the car looked clean for a 07 it managed to last 13years that's not bad in fairness I know of a lot of recent stuff that has gone bang well before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I know it is 12 years old but I think the inside of those A3's has dated terribly. They still feel very German but ****ing hell, dull as ditchwater, you wouldnt get it as bad in a jap car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Any thoughts?

The chains can be checked for wear and tear, in situ, and its well worth getting it done, but on the other hand, 75'000 Miles seems to be a bit early, but not impossible. If you are going down the road of a replacement engine, it would be something to get done first before fitting it. They are a lovely car, exactly as you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-1-9-tdi-linear-sport/24937196

2010 1.9 Diesel
    125k miles.
    Nct 09/20 and only €280 tax. Beautiful car.

Although the pictures it does look like the front bumper is slightly out of place.

I agree, it's fine putting money into a car you know will be ok. But your example of putting a grand into a €2k car is nearly the opposite of what OP will need to do. That 2 grand is most likely a secondhand engine, so you are resetting the disaster timer, not removing it. Even if that bill is for full repair of existing engine, theres a load of other issues that could arise from the damage (OP mentioned loss of compression).
    That's before you factor in all the other expensive gizmos to go wrong in a 15 year merc.

That applys to ALL bangernomics. After all, they are cheap for a reason, and that reason is people want to get rid of them because they are afraid that they are about to become money pits...you pays your money, and you takes your chance's was never so true.Having said that, there are lots of bangernomic owners out there with success story's. R & D has given us cars that are long lasting and relatively trouble free, compared to cars manufactured in the 60's 70's,80's etc. ( not to mention earlier years... )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

This - it makes no bangernomic sense to spend 150% of the value of the car to get it back to where you were when you bought it.
    As also mentioned, it's like Russian roulette with a second hand engine - and that is just teh engine repaired. That vintage of merc are not renowned for their rust free bodies or sterling electronics. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Any thoughts?

Is there any chance the mileage was a bit more than that on the odometer?

It would be unusual for 15 year old car to only do 5,000 miles a year. also did the service record check out?

Sounds too bad to be true. Sorry for your troubles.

2010 1.9 Diesel
    125k miles.

Although the pictures it does look like the front bumper is slightly out of place.

That's one very nice car.....the front bumper looks a bit scuffed on the N/S, but does not look too bad. Looks a very clean example, and the price is OK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

2010 1.9 Diesel
    125k miles.

Listed for €2,350 but how much dyou think this would go for realistically?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

Hope it’s ok to post a link to a car I’m selling for my father in law. Very tidy Ford Focus. He bought it recently and now wants something else 😭 after getting the timing belt Sorted. Everything works and it drives nicely.
    Could get someone out of trouble for a few months or a year.

https://www.adverts.ie/20537878

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Motor tax rates €95?

Hackney

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Agh the taxi fake Bentley......

PSV so has the chape tax ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Hackney

Could you continue as hackney tax ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement