Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40/24985715

Well spec'd and very tidy looking petrol S40 with test til October (extended til February 2021), €999

This looks really nice.

Very like my old one. Think I'd go 2.0 diesel if I was to get another S40 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Very like my old one. Think I'd go 2.0 diesel if I was to get another S40 though.

Yes, I thought it looked familiar and wondered if it was the same one bought by someone on here last year. You bought that car from Michael Collins out in Blackrock if I’m not mistaken?

The brother in law bought one of these last week, albeit much worse value for money (€1900 for a 2008) and I was surprised at what a nice car it was.

I'd never been in one but had some kind of assumption that they were a Focus is a pretty dress and maybe they are but I have to say it was a really really nice car. The interior felt very solid, nice yoke on the road too. Pleather, climate, 17 inch wheels.

It was 1.8 petrol, badged "1.8F", which I think is a dubious enough engine choice but it ran well for 200 k kms.

1.8f is the flexi fuel / ethanol engine

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

2008 audi a3 tdi 1699 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20561255

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yes, I thought it looked familiar and wondered if it was the same one bought by someone on here last year. You bought that car from Michael Collins out in Blackrock if I’m not mistaken?

I did yeah. Sandyford was where I met him. Nice car but slow and liked oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40/24985715

N2I0ODYyZTFjNDAxZmJiZDY1MjdhNTMxMzNjMDdjYThi9pA6KH4AVVf4oVxccLy8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDgxNDMwODJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZGUyZDNlNGQ3ZTgwY2M5YjEyMzM2MGEwZWU3ZDY5NDnOKQXYOliiQvyT4Z4KTH4UaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDgxNDMwODZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Well spec'd and very tidy looking petrol S40 with test til October (extended til February 2021), €999

This looks really nice.

Is there anything obvious to go wrong with these? I know a friends parents had one for years and seemed to have a lot of electrical issues and the car spent a lot of time in limp mode. They do seem good value though.

I remember reading somewhere to stay away from the flexifuel version? Any particular reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

Does that S40 have the pop up child seats in the back ? I've them in my V50.. very handy ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

jharr100 wrote: »
    Does that S40 have the pop up child seats in the back ? I've them in my V50.. very handy ..

I used to have them in my old 850 wagon t5.
    Very convenient feature for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-skoda-octavia-vrs/24983249

Y2RkYTdiOTJlMzFjMmI3MzZmNTFjNzlhNTZjYzMyODD3NSIBEfEY3SkcD2VSd9_aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDgxMjEwODl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tidy looking diesel VRS with NCT til May 2021, reasonable miles and claims of recent service and belt, €1850

Still good looking cars IMO. I wouldn't mind trying one

Looking at this bit dubious of the ownership
    Current owner 6 months
    Owner before that ~6 months
    Owner before that ~2 months
    before that was held by a garage for 13 months
    And before that held by a garage for 1 month
    Seems very strange contacted the done deal seller and was told he has owned it for about 18 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

See how many times it’s been taxed, and how long it’s been untaxed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I remember reading somewhere to stay away from the flexifuel version? Any particular reason for this?
    It's less fuel efficient than the non-flexifuel version.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nu_90

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It's less fuel efficient than the non-flexifuel version.

Getting 8.4 L/100km in my bangermomics V70

It's the 2.0 Flexifuel.

Don't do big miles so I'm ok with it. But id say the S40 or V50 with the 1.8f should see better mpg ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Ethanol is highly corrosive - it *can* destroy fuel pumps, pickups, line connections, rails and injectors.

Depends on the % in the fuel and how long it was run on it. But if its running fine now and passes emissions, at bangernomics money it's probably worth chancing it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-skoda-octavia-combi/24994739

YzQ2YzcxNTZhMzY2YzcxMmZlZjMzMTU0OTkzNWEwM2GfUhC2PXyHQYyuJSJn3xetaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDgyMDg0NTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Diesel Octavia estate, test til December, tow bar, €690

Grand car for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/24958166

Cheap and cheerful Corolla for a grand with low miles.. It would suit me but a awful comeback from a LS....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

nu_90 wrote: »
    Getting 8.4 L/100km in my bangermomics V70

It's the 2.0 Flexifuel.

Don't do big miles so I'm ok with it. But id say the S40 or V50 with the 1.8f should see better mpg ??

With no 6th gear the motorway kills it.

Unless you drive 70-80km/h all the time you won't do 8l/100 average.

Which is normal for 1.8 petrol od that vintage anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Truckermal wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/24958166

Cheap and cheerful Corolla for a grand with low miles.. It would suit me but a awful comeback from a LS....:o

Is there an NCT in that ? It says February 2020 I know they've extended it but you'd be taking a chance imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is there an NCT in that ? It says February 2020 I know they've extended it but you'd be taking a chance imo

They are easily tested in fairness, corroded brake lines probably the biggest job.. Only thing it's a 2.0 Litre so expensive to tax compared to the 1.4..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The flexifuel ones drink petrol. That was ok when there was cheap bi-ethanol to offset the thirstiness. As bi-ethanol is no longer available the cost of filling them is noticeable compared to other similar sized engines. Those engines also need to be serviced every 10k km or so too. If you don't do much driving then a nice bit of flash for small money however. Electrics can be iffy on all of those S40s though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Well spotted. If it expired in Feb, it won't have the 4 month extension, so it doesn't belong in Bangernomics then as it has no NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

2005 opel meriva long nct 300 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20569526

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    2005 opel meriva long nct 300 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20569526

They're absolutely rubbish, but that looks like a great buy for 300 quid. Well found

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

con747 wrote: »

That's a good find and a good price if it was closer to me I'd go after it who ever buys that's should be happy cheap motoring assuming the clutch is good.

YmFlMGQ1ZGM0MzE1OThlMzdmZDM3NmUxM2E1NmU3MWHUNSubfYI9SBhVMlk_sH-6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDgyMDc4OTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I know these are getting long in the tooth now, but that's the cleanest looking one I have seen in a long time
    Even the wheels look decent on it. Comfortline model 130bhp with 2 keys and NCT until end of November
    Seems it's the same guy who is selling the Octavia combi up above
    €680

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That car seems genuine.
    I know they seem very common now, but some of these B5 Passats need to be saved. They will just disappear (in a lot of cases, that’s no bad thing), and uk importing won’t be a thing either.
    It’ll be like Carina E’s now.

Yeah. That's why I stuck it up here.
    I have owned 4 of the B5/B5.5 Passats and got so sick of them, but good, well minded ones are very very thin on the ground now and that one really does look genuine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That car seems genuine.
    I know they seem very common now, but some of these B5 Passats need to be saved. They will just disappear (in a lot of cases, that’s no bad thing), and uk importing won’t be a thing either.
    It’ll be like Carina E’s now.

The amber light ones disappeared years ago - literally overnight.

Passats suffer from the reliable car paradox - a car with a 'bombproof' reputation attracts the shytehawks who dont lift a finger to maintain them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement