Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

wonski wrote: »
    You have no clue of the clutch condition until you drive the car, and even then it is hard to tell.

Clutch is not replaced at intervals. When it's gone it's gone.

You don't worry about those with bangeromics.

Never had to replace clutch meself and drove quite a few bangers ;)

Absolutely, but we can agree it wouldn't be at 100% unless it was one constant 140k journey :D

The issue isn't changing the parts, its factoring it into the price a bit so its advantageous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Absolutely, but we can agree it wouldn't be at 100% unless it was one constant 140k journey :D

The issue isn't changing the parts, its factoring it into the price a bit so its advantageous ;)

Don't factor anything.

Service as soon as You drive out. That's it.

140k is nothing.

I just drove 2018 Audi A4 with 120k and it felt as new.

I don't know why people think 100k plus and that's it. Good for this thread, more bangers for us, but don't see the logic behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

Posted this a week or so ago.

Father in laws. Could suit someone for a run around

Price drop. €650

Honest car, Full years test. Definitely drivable. Sorry about the wheels. :-)

https://www.adverts.ie/20537878

Posted this a week or so ago.

Father in laws. Could suit someone for a run around

Price drop. €650

Honest car, Full years test. Definitely drivable. Sorry about the wheels. :-)

https://www.adverts.ie/20537878

500 should get someone out of trouble.

I think it's just not great time to sell and you won't see much interest.
    Old model with newer one, much nicer, being sold for close to that unfortunately.

Drop it to 550-500, with long nct I would not let it go for anything less than that.

Feel lucky it's not the sedan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

wonski wrote: »
    You have no clue of the clutch condition until you drive the car, and even then it is hard to tell.

Clutch is not replaced at intervals. When it's gone it's gone.

You don't worry about those with bangeromics.

Never had to replace clutch meself and drove quite a few bangers ;)

I remember being “in between” cars before and I picked up a 1.4 bora at the time for €300 with a clutch that was I’d say 90% knackered. Nursed it for the guts of a year and sold it for the same amount without doing the clutch. My god it was a miserable year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I remember being “in between” cars before and I picked up a 1.4 bora at the time for €300 with a clutch that was I’d say 90% knackered. Nursed it for the guts of a year and sold it for the same amount without doing the clutch. My god it was a miserable year.

I have a 98 Astra G with 221,000 miles on had it since 2007, i know last owner he had it seven years neither of us has change the clutch, is this usual ?
    now ive properly jinks it, it will go within the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Currently driving a 1.6 passat with a funky clutch. Paid 800 for it 4 months ago and still going strong :P NCT to Jan so hope to sell before then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭crasy dash

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/xsara-2004-hdi-1-4-new-nct-03-2021-drives-perfect/25035629

Looks clean has a fresh nct if you could get a few quid off it wouldnt be the worse bit of motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

crasy dash wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/xsara-2004-hdi-1-4-new-nct-03-2021-drives-perfect/25035629

Looks clean has a fresh nct if you could get a few quid off it wouldnt be the worse bit of motoring

That’s a great find. Looks very tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

They're actually one car that used to be everywhere and it seems like overnight, they all disappeared, PLUS, any remaining ones are normally in bits!
    That one looks great and definitely well worth a look for anybody wanting something a bit different, plus I have heard they can return up to 60mpg on long runs :eek:

• Advertisement

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    They're actually one car that used to be everywhere and it seems like overnight, they all disappeared, PLUS, any remaining ones are normally in bits!
    That one looks great and definitely well worth a look for anybody wanting something a bit different, plus I have heard they can return up to 60mpg on long runs :eek:
    Car from my youth always have a soft spot for them wanted to have a Xsara Van when I was an apprentice bought a Corolla van instead.
    That one looks to be in great shape and a lovely colour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I think that’s the best find here in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

2004 peugeot 206 400 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20643578

Respectable looking motor nice interior as well could do with a clean still long nct
    and a very comfortable machine
    €1750 ono so possibly a small bit of wiggle

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-2006-nct-12-20/24337053

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

This car is no longer available :):)

€900 and it's a bloody dinger of a thing. I drove it for the missus and its perfect. Not a sound or rattle to be found. All electric working, pedals are nice and not jumping or stiff. For a 04 car it's in fantastic shape. Noel was a pleasure to deal with also.

Direct quote from herself which should give hope to men everywhere. "I think you've converted me to bangernomics". Music to my ears. Now shes happy with a car and I'm happy she wont be sending me 100 links a day to horrible yolks.

And the insurance worked out slightly cheaper than what she was paying too. All in all a great find and hopefully a lot of happy motoring ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Excellent stuff, good you’re sorted now. That was a minter

Looked great. Never drove one, but did hear good things.

Not many of them left on the roads, don't even remember last time seeing one, hope this one stays for long :)

Delighted someone on here got it well wear hope it's good to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Delighted someone on here got it well wear hope it's good to you!!

Great find by you so thanks for that. I'm a tight cnut anyway, hate seeing my hard earned go but I had no hesitation forking out for that, I've a really good feeling about it, ticks all the boxes and seems very well looked after. That's me and her that are driving cars from this thread now.

Cheapish Saab something abit different taxed and nctd until June next year .
    Free motoring in my eyes for a few months at the worse
    If i was closer to Dublin id have a view and drive of it

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-saab-93-1-9-tid-nctd-and-taxed-10-20/24451251

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-saab-93-1-9-tid-nctd-and-taxed-10-20/24451251

If they timing belt was done recently then grab it someone. Great car and it’s the most reliable 1.9 of the diesels they had.

They're a great diesel, and that one is the 120bhp, so the tax is only 390 p.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

flexcon wrote: »
    If they timing belt was done recently then grab it someone. Great car and it’s the most reliable 1.9 of the diesels they had.

Might just have a look at this! Anything to look out for if I did?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Nct and tax are out in 2020 not next year?

newboard wrote: »
    Nct and tax are out in 2020 not next year?

My mistake

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    They're a great diesel, and that one is the 120bhp, so the tax is only 390 p.a.

What's the 180hp one like, the ttid engine are they any good?
    Like the look of the saab I'm just unsure of how reliable they are

Might just have a look at this! Anything to look out for if I did?

The petrol ones had issues with fuel gauge sensor, not sure if it affected the diesel, but make sure the fuel gauge works.

Check for play in the steering, as sometimes the universal joint below the steering column can have slight wear and make the steering feel like there is slight play in it. Not a huge issue and not huge to fix, but just see if there is play in the steering at all.

Listen for knocks in the rear. The rear bump stops are a common wear issue. Not huge money to fix, but will explain any noise or rattles. Also, front droplinks can go fairly frequently. only about 10 or 15 quid to replace, but can make a car rattly on front.

Look along the front of the engine and there is a steel coolant pipe (no idea who decided to use steel instead of rubber) and these can rust quite badly. Pig of a job to do if it they need changing.

Apart from that, there very few items to look out for. Some of them can have slow or sticky seatbelts, or the seatbelt latch needs an extra push in to lock.

Price wise, you should be trying to get it for around 1500. I bought a 2008 one last year (150bhp diesel) for a grand, but it did need a few bits which I knew at time of buying, so i spent around 300 euros sorting those.

What's the 180hp one like, the ttid engine are they any good?
    Like the look of the saab I'm just unsure of how reliable they are

I never drove the twin turbo one, so not sure on those, but the 120bhp and 150bhp diesel is a great engine once kept serviced. They go on forever and do huge mileage too and easy get parts for the engines as they are the Fiat/Alfa/Opel/Vauxhall 1.9 diesel unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Had a 2006 9-3 vector 1.9 150bhp about 10 yrs ago. Absolutely loved it. Herself put it in the ditch after aquaplaning :( Nobody hurt and on the plus side the insurance wrote it off and paid us more than what we had got it for after import & vrt appeal :D

• Advertisement

Help please Bangerbuds! :D

My daughter is driving a Fiat Grande Punto and has decided to move to a saloon car and the BMW has caught her eye.
    She is looking at E90 1.6 models as she wants a bigger engine, but 1.6 max. She does very very little driving. About 10 miles a day max and might use it on the weekend to come back home (around 50 or 60 mile round trip)

I know they are the **** end of BMW's and underpowered, but not an issue as she is only driving a year or two and not interested in power
    So, is there anything in particular to look out for on these?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement